PDA

View Full Version : newbie needs advice

geemoo
14-01-09, 04:50
ive just joined this site and hope that someone may be able to help me....im a 20 year old female who is suffering from depression and anxiety/panic attacks. this was caused due to my sister being killed in a fatal car accident in melton which claimed the lives of 6 young people on july 10th 2008. ive found this really hard to deal and it has resulted in me being depressed and suffering with panic attacks. my doctor has put me on 10mg of propranolol to take 3 times a day and 40mg of citalopram to take once a day but they do not seem to be having the desired effect. i havent had a panic atack for a couple of weeks now but the anxiey is still there and i cannot seem to shift it. i cant help thinking that something is seriously wrong with me. i have convinced myself that i have cancer,a blood clot,brain heammerage etc etc....just writing this is making me feel panicky....please any advice/help or just someone to offload on and talk to would be gratefully appreciated....please feel free to email me many thanks gina x

peter_griffen
14-01-09, 13:24
Hi G,

Sorry to hear about ur sister, this must be very hard on you to cope with such a loss. My sister's fiancé dad was killed in a car-accident about 2 years ago, it was a big shock to him but over time he has adjusted himself quite well to cope as best possible. The anxiety is only natural to feel, but will heal overtime.
Although going onto medication may seem a fast answer, this could actually hamper your recovery, so perhaps talking to someone maybe a better option ie: having CBT?
Although im no quack/doc, i think the chances of you having cancer, blood-clot at 20 is highly unlikely, as believe me, you will know if you have something serious like that, however to put your mind at ease, a simple blood-test or a chat to the quack might be an idea?

There are plently of nice folks (inc me :D ) that u can chat to, you will be suprised the amount of ppl that are in the same position than u.....

(better go now, still at work hehe)

geemoo
14-01-09, 13:42
thanks for your reply....ive had many blood tests and other examinations to prove i have nothing wrong with me but it doesnt seem to be doing the trick and isnt convincing me otherwise. slight hypochondria maybe?:D

peter_griffen
14-01-09, 15:15
lol - hummm, a little bit.... :-)

Piebert
14-01-09, 17:58
Hi G,

Sorry to hear about your loss. Don't expect too much of yourself too quickly - your body (and mind) just need time to get over such a trauma, getting better is a slow process - it is normal to have anxiety feelings last a while.

I agree with Peter on the talking to someone thing - either counselling or CBT, whatever works for you.

:hugs:

Pie
x