PDA

View Full Version : Help I'm new

Vanilla22
14-12-03, 06:56
My boyfriend told me sometimes gets anxiety attacks but i didnt really understand what he was talking about until last night when he had one. It was so scary and I had no idea what I could do to help him get through it. What can i do???? please help. thanks

florence
14-12-03, 13:51
Hi Vanilla22.
The thing you shouldn't do its to panic.When he has an attack,you should try to reassure him, talk to him and make sure he breathes slowly and deeply, that should calm him down.Tell him that nothing dreadful is gonna happen to him. I know its scary but the first thing that he needs is your support.Your boyfriend could chat to us too, if he needs advice or support, this site will provide it.We all suffer and understand what he's going thru, so don't hesitate!
I hope that helps.
Take care.
Florence.

sarah
14-12-03, 17:48
Hiya vanilla

Speaking from personal experience, the one thing i want people to do when i have panic/anxiety attack is truly dependant on how i feel at the moment. Sometimes i want reasuring and hugs but a lot of the time I want to be left alone. My advice is to do what he wants you to do but let him know you are there for him whatever he needs.
Love Sarah
xx

nomorepanic
14-12-03, 20:32
Hi Vanilla

Can you get him on the PC and get him to read my info on the website about coping? Go to www.nomorepanic.co.uk/coping.htm

Let him read some of the posts in here and he will start to feel better when he realises that it is quite common and there is loads of help on here.

Let us know how it goes

Nicola

diana
15-12-03, 21:17
Hiya Vanilla,

Welcome aboard!!!! so glad you came here to post, there are loads of suggestions and support here. You and your boyfriend are among family here. We all understand what you both are going through. Like Sarah mentioned just reassure him that you are there for him if he needs you. Because like Sarah also mentioned, sometimes we just want to be left alone. Just be positive, and reassuring and if you both need any other guidance just post and someone will guide you in the right direction. Please to come back to post to let us know how you both are getting on.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

uryjm
15-12-03, 21:36
Vanilla
When it comes to panic, we men have the 'John Wayne Syndrome' to deal with as well. Surely anxiety is for wimps, and we don't need our girly to help us out with it? I've found this website to be a great support, because it's where I can share things "privately" with people who really understand this condition.

Jim

Vanilla22
16-12-03, 03:28
Thank you so much all of you for your suggestions. I haven't told my boyfriend that i've researched this and i don't think i'm going to. We've been together for a year and as far as i know he has only had 2 attacks since we've been together (unless there were more that he hasn't mentioned). So thankfully i don't think his condition is very serious. I'm kind of scared to tell him about this because i think when he reads about the more serious conditions people have, like having attacks more often, i think it might make him think about it too much and just bring on more attacks. does that make sense? anyway, i just hope that i am able to comfort him on the occasion that he does experience another one. thanks again.

diana
16-12-03, 05:02
Yes Vanilla that does make sense. I think alot of us here have experienced anxiety and or panic attack feelings reading some of these posts. Do come back to let us know how you and your boyfriend are getting on.

Take care,

Diana xxx

stephen
16-12-03, 22:02
hi vanilla22 your b/f is a lucky man to have you by his side .we,re all "panicers"here so you are amongst friends .keep surpporting your b/f because that will be the biggest help of all .we,re here if you need us .tc.