PDA

View Full Version : Driving nightmare...panic everytime

bb22
14-01-09, 18:58
I've been having CBT for my panic disorder for a few weeks now, but recently moved and now getting to my therapist means a 30minute drive into town. I've got a major issue with driving and seem to have a panic attack everytime I drive even if I'm not worked up about it? Does anyone else have problems with driving and panic??? It's strange because I never panic when I'm the passanger!!! I need some reasurrance on how to cope when I'm in the car as I have an appointment tomorrow, which I'm trying nit to think about but the anxiety is getting stronger and building up. Thanks for reading...please help.x

Piebert
14-01-09, 19:04
Used to have problems with driving and panic but only occasionally.

Distraction was the best method for me - playing music and singing loudly(as this actually helps regulate your breathing). Start out way earlier than you need to.

Try to bear in mind that as you are the one in control of the car then you are able to park it and get out if things get on top of you, I've done that before when panic came out of nowhere...fortunately was only 15 mins from home, so walked and sent hubby out later to collect the car!

If it is building up that much I'd get someone else to drive or take public transport.

LACEYA1961
14-01-09, 19:18
Hi, BB :)

I had to stop driving because I would also get panic attacks and now I get them as a passenger as well. That's how I've become agoraphobic...I kept getting panic attacks in the car and since we live so far from town it's a nightmare for me every time I have to go. Actually, the past two times I've gone I haven't had a major panic attack, just a little anxiety. I found that clutching a pillow helps me for some reason and sitting in the back seat where a lot of my periphial vision is cut out from the seats in the front. Hard to explain but it seems to be working for me lol

I also have a therapy appointment tomorrow and I'm finding I'm not as anxious since the last time I went I was okay. Weird how the mind works isn't it?

Anyway, when I use to drive, and I would start getting panicky, I would just pull over where I could and try to calm down then move on. I think for those of us that suffer from panic it seems that too much sensory input can bring on panic. It does for me for sure. That's why cutting out some of what I'm seeing through the windows of a moving vehicle has helped me. I don't know what you could do to help with that since you're the one that's driving. What about wearing sunglasses that have some sort of side shield on them? Or try not to look around too much while driving. Ask your therapist tomorrow and let us know what he/she says. I'm really curious about this. I'll ask mine too and share what they have to say.

Hope all goes well for you tomorrow and good luck!

Lacey

Patty
15-01-09, 00:56
Hi BB22, :hugs:

My heart goes out to you. I also get panic attacks when driving and it can be so scary.

It is good that you are going to CBT. I have not done any CBT yet but I would like to.

The way that I cope at the moment is like Lacey said - I pull over somewhere until the panic dies down and then continue on. Also as Piebert says leave yourself plenty of time to get there, play music & sing along with it.

I hope you get on well tomorrow.
Best wishes xx :bighug1:

teeshirt:suntanner
15-01-09, 13:18
i liked the advice about bringing it to the forefront of your mind that you are the driver and you are in control, therefore if panic tries to get to you, you can chose to pull over, slow down, or turn up the music and sing even louder as the other person suggested too!

Ceejay
15-01-09, 14:59
BB22,

just a word of caution about some of the replies; which obviously were meant to help, but which could actually do more harm than good. It is possible that being in control and having the responsibilty is part of the problem.

I had a client with similar conditions. His issue was based around an event where he lost control of the car, when he had his younger brother in it.

Because of the implications of your condition, I would suggest that you get professional help. There may well be a quick and easy solution to the problem

You could try looking at The website of the Quest Institute for a well-qualified Hypnotherapist in your area.

Hope that you get a resolution to this.

regards

Ceejay
cj@chrisjones.uk.com

teeshirt:suntanner
15-01-09, 17:34
I can see what Ceejay is saying - thinking about what aspects of driving or previous experieces you have had of being a driver may be helpful for you to choose which kind of strategies can build up your resilence / ability to cope with driving or those which might not do so

Its a bit like being a detective on yourself eh! :)