PDA

View Full Version : flying next week - any hints?

teeshirt:suntanner
15-01-09, 13:02
Hey all!
I dont like flying / the whole experience of airports etc. I have flown 3 times before, so can usually manage the stress and anxiety of it, but since my mum died in July i have been less able to manage any extra stress and having panic attacks so i am even more weary of the whole airport thing!! It's only an hours flight so it shouldnt be a hard task but it feels like it! The easiest thing would be to not go, but my friend is getting married and i really want to be there! :wacko:

Any thoughts/expeirences about what i do to minimise the effects of panic (the one i am most worreid about as it is the most recent very sudden onset of upset tummy when in panic mode!!!) :blush:

Thanks in advance x :)

nanny
15-01-09, 13:40
Hello there

First my condolences on the loss of your mum, i lost my dad in may so know how you are feeling.:hugs:
just a thought.
I don't like advising people to take medication really but wondered if it would help if you took some immodium to take the worry away from your upset tummy prior to flying, and as the filght is only an hour long maybe you can buy a puzzle book and get stuck into that to help keep your mind of the panic.

Please try not to worry too much, the last thing you need to do is give yourself lots of stress before the actual day arrives.
Good Luck

Ceejay
15-01-09, 14:46
Hi T.S.

There is a very effective self-help therapy called EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique). you may have seen a variant of it on Paul Mckenna's series.
It is easy to learn and can provide startling results.

I often use it on clients, as a support to the Hypnotherapy treatments I give.

Have a look at the following website : www.emofree.com. It will give you all of the instructions as to how to use it and if you enter a search on fear of flying , aerophobia, or aviophobia, you should find case histories from practitioners.

It would be helpful to try and identify what are the triggers to your fears. e.g. is it fear of heights, lack of control, aircraft noises, fear of death etc. The instructions will advise you as to how to use that trigger(s).

Chris Jones
Hypnotherapist & NLP Master-Practitioner

ps Good luck and hope that you enjoy your holiday.

leesavee
15-01-09, 15:05
hi there..
i know exactly how your feeling because im terrified of flying even though i fly several times a year..i generally get through it through disapam and that helps calm my nerves to a certain extent..
good luck

Duckie
15-01-09, 16:31
I hate flying. I have flown in the past, alot. But now if I have to get on a plane again I swear I will freak out. I talk alot when I am nervous, I tried to listen to my MP3 player but honestly the movements made by the plane makes me completely panic strickened.

They do serve alcohol on board LOL. I had a baliey or two. :yesyes:

I know it's hard, I am rooting for you!!:blush: :hugs:

15-01-09, 17:03
Hello there

First my condolences on the loss of your mum, i lost my dad in may so know how you are feeling.:hugs:
just a thought.
I don't like advising people to take medication really but wondered if it would help if you took some immodium to take the worry away from your upset tummy prior to flying, and as the filght is only an hour long maybe you can buy a puzzle book and get stuck into that to help keep your mind of the panic.

Please try not to worry too much, the last thing you need to do is give yourself lots of stress before the actual day arrives.
Good Luck

:hugs: Thanks Nanny, sorry too to hear about losing your Dad. :(

I hadnt thought of that and tho i get worried about what medication might make me feel like, i have had immodium before if i have felt poorly and had upset tummy and it was fine so perhaps that could be a good 'safety net'? Thanks muchly! :)

shotokansho
15-01-09, 17:04
I have a similar problem. I recently flew to palma and i was terrible. I thought i was going to die all the way there...then when i went to the toilet i couldn't get out cos the door got stuck and i was convinced i was going to have a heart attack or something and die in there.
The way i dealt with it was my deep breathing exercises ect and trying to concentrate on something else like a puzzle book or play some music. I was told by my gp that she could have prescribed me something prior to the flight but i decided against it, i don't know if thats a route you would want to take.

15-01-09, 17:05
Thanks for the link Ceejay i will check it out :) :) :)

Leesavee & ducky.... thanks for your posts, it is curiously powerful to know other people experience the same feelings as you! I am feeling a little stronger at the thought of next week than i was this morning.

Duckie
15-01-09, 17:07
I also text a friend if I can. That helps me to keep my mind off things before I go on the plane. But once I am on, I try and befriend someone who is sitting beside me so I can talk and be distracted. :shrug:

Duckie xx

15-01-09, 17:08
I have a similar problem. I recently flew to palma and i was terrible. I thought i was going to die all the way there...then when i went to the toilet i couldn't get out cos the door got stuck and i was convinced i was going to have a heart attack or something and die in there.
The way i dealt with it was my deep breathing exercises ect and trying to concentrate on something else like a puzzle book or play some music. I was told by my gp that she could have prescribed me something prior to the flight but i decided against it, i don't know if thats a route you would want to take.

Yes you are so right thanks, ... breathing usually is a good one for me if i am having a breathing panic attack - maybe if i keep actively breathing leading up to it then it will prevent any other unplesant feelings later on. Sorry to hear you had a horrible experience - brave you for doing it in the first place! It is such a tiny flight once i am on the plane i am usually ok, though i hate actually being in the air but the lead up to getting into my seat is what stresses and scares me... ggrrr lol

15-01-09, 17:10
i am going with my boyfriend and stepdaughter - she is usually a brilliant source of distraction as she keeps us very busy and is so full of fun and goodness!!! Bf can be a little anxious about me being anxious which can fuel my wobble even more!!! But he is giving me lots of positive encouragement that its all going to be ok!! :) :) :) :)

pedropanic
16-01-09, 17:55
Complete sympathy from me, just got off my last flight for a while. Yuck!

Hop onto www.fearofflying.com. It's a little free online course which helps explain a few things about planes and air travel. It helped me.

Just remember that planes are amazing machines, and capable of a LOT more than the boring way they are flown in a commercial flight. They are at their best in the air and have very sophisticated safety systems. Pilots are constantly in simulators learning and re-learning how to deal with all kinds of scenarios. And flight attendants are NOT going to risk their lives everyday to clean toilets at 30,000ft!

If turbulence worries you then relax; it's a normal part of being in the air and the worse it gets, the more the pilots and the aircraft will be loving it. Planes are designed to bounce, duck and weave, and while it's not so nice for those of us who hate to fly, the pilots will be having the time of their lives as harsh turbulence break the monotony of the very sophisticated autopilot systems which control much of the flight.

Try (if you can) to accept and go with the horrible stomach churning and the sweaty palms and not pay them too much attention, they're just a normal reaction to being stressed. You might even find times during the flight you can relax enough to enjoy the freedom of flying (don't laugh, if I can have these moments ANYONE can!)

And if all else fails, a Valium just before you board should kick in just before take off ;)

Dominic1975
17-01-09, 00:09
Im the same.... I dont have a fear of flying, it being trapped

I purchased a relaxation CD and an audio book and a games console last time I flied... Before I got on the flight, I did the relaxation CD... then during the flight I swapped between, the book, concentrated deep breath and games to keep me distracted... I had a great flight and great holiday

Enjoy the wedding, you will have a great time

17-01-09, 17:28
Thanks for your help and tips - i will be going very prepared ! I will check out the website recommendation too!! xx