PDA

View Full Version : Circulation in arms/hands

ams
15-01-09, 21:44
I've had worries over the past 6-8 months about the circulation in my arms/hands, and whether or not I have any sort of vascular compression going on in/near my shoulders.

I saw the Dr. about something different a few days ago, and mentioned that I had some shoulder/arm pain when my arms were above my head, a teensy bit of tingling, and some color/temperature changes in my hands depending on what I was doing, but she told me right away it wasn't anything to worry about...but I'm not totally convinced. But, on the other hand, I promised myself that I'd try my best not to "need" a Dr. appt to calm myself between now and my scheduled yearly exam in April, so some assurance is needed.

So here is my dumb question...bear with me, I know it's kind of silly. If you put your hands in the air, how much to people's hands change color? Mine, after just 10 seconds or so are definitely a little paler. I know it logically makes sense that putting your hands into the air lessens blood flow, but it seems like this is worse for me than usual. Can a few people try it out and let me know what they find?

It probably doesn't help that I'm sitting fairly close to my windows on the coldest day in Chicago in a decade...

(edit) I should add that I'm a pretty pale guy. I think that makes these color changes more drastic, no?

Utility
15-01-09, 22:19
Hi

I think you are answering your own questions here.

Coldest day in ten years, hands in the air and pale to start with - no wonder you think that you have something wrong, even when you don't. As your doctor said, it does not sound as though it is anything to worry about. Most people would get the same sort feelings if the did the same thing with their hands. You even say that you go for an annual check up, so if it was something it would have been spotted before now. Don't worry.

NervousNellie
15-01-09, 22:51
You're not alone with this one!! I've posted several times on here about cold hands and feet, and the funny colors that they turn! I've actually experience blue toes from being so cold! I live in New York and tomorrow is supposed to be the coldest day that we've had since 1982!!!

One thing that I wanted to mention was that the lighting in the room makes a big difference. For some reason, in my house, everything always looks blue. Even on my children - I always do a double take when they run around barefoot because their feet look blue! So I found out, over the past week or so, that the lighting in your house may partially be the cause for thinking that your hands look pale.

If your doctor says it's nothing to worry about, then it's nothing to worry about! And what's happening seems to have a logical explanation.

mickh555
16-01-09, 02:47
There is a magicians trick that involves a person holding a coin on his fore head.In short ,the magician re-enters the room and is able to tell who held the coin.He does this by looking to see who has a pale hand !!

jobear
16-01-09, 11:08
hey
yeah am worrying about that to atm, forgot to ask the doctor because i was worrying about something worse! but i seem to have cold hands and feel all the time and my hands keep changing colour spes if i get in the bath my feet hurt because of the temp dif anf my hands go bright red :shrug:

jo x