PDA

View Full Version : First Time Poster

krja80
15-01-09, 21:53
Hi. So I've been dealing with health anxiety since I was 7, I'm now 31. It's been the most awful, debilitating "dis-ease" that I can imagine. Unlike other diseases, this is not relenting, it does not go away, unlike phobias, I can't escape from my body like one could a spider or an airplane, it's never ending. I've learned over the many years how to deal with it, have a career, have a family and just generally keep it locked away inside of me as to fool those around me into believing that I have it together, but it seems that just when I feel that I'm making some progress to believe that myself, I find myself back in the same place that I started from; scared, worried, panicked, contemplative and seemingly alone. So I've always had these palpitations, missed beats, extra beats, whatever it is that they actually are.

I'm going to try to describe what they feel like exactly what they feel like and if you guys can let me know if this is what you feel.

So I can be sitting, standing, eating, drinking, exercising, shopping, it doesn't matter what I'm doing, oh driving too, and suddenly I feel this weird drop in my chest and in my throat and I get very flushed like I have to catch my breath. Sometimes it's only one and sometimes I get a couple in a row. I feel very flushed and it just scares me so much. I've had these for a decade, but for some reason (probably my grandmother and grandfathers heart attacks) they "seem" worse and they are way scarier then they used to be. It almost feels like a pause and a flutter and I lose my breath and then I recover but it triggers my flight or fight sensation to the extreme.

Shed some light for me, is this what it feels like for any of you guys, do you feel like you have to catch your breath like you can't breathe?

I had two echo's (one in 1998 and one in 2002) and I've worn holter monitors and about 18 months ago I wore an event monitor for 30 days, I've had countless ECG's, but for some reason, every time I get one of these, all of that knowledge and reason flies out of the window and I'm back to being the scared frightened girl that I hate so much.

Thanks for listening and thank you for this board, it has been a godsend for me just to read others stories.:blush:

cassi23
16-01-09, 20:49
Hi me love!

I have the same sensation when i have ectopics, i feel a funny feeling in my throat, never really knew how to describe it till you said 'drop' which momentarily...like for a split second, takes my breath away!

You've had the tests, you're ok, but if you think getting reassurance from your GP would be helpful then go for it. I too get these horrible things randomly, you feel that they are worse because you are thinking of your nanna and grandad, which is understandable, I have learnt to ignore them more or less, that is, i am still aware but don't panick about them anymore, when they havnt happened for a while the still scare the crap outta me though!

Hope you feel better asap xxxxx

kestral
16-01-09, 23:50
Hi. So I've been dealing with health anxiety since I was 7, I'm now 31. It's been the most awful, debilitating "dis-ease" that I can imagine. Unlike other diseases, this is not relenting, it does not go away, unlike phobias, I can't escape from my body like one could a spider or an airplane, it's never ending. I've learned over the many years how to deal with it, have a career, have a family and just generally keep it locked away inside of me as to fool those around me into believing that I have it together, but it seems that just when I feel that I'm making some progress to believe that myself, I find myself back in the same place that I started from; scared, worried, panicked, contemplative and seemingly alone. So I've always had these palpitations, missed beats, extra beats, whatever it is that they actually are.

I'm going to try to describe what they feel like exactly what they feel like and if you guys can let me know if this is what you feel.

So I can be sitting, standing, eating, drinking, exercising, shopping, it doesn't matter what I'm doing, oh driving too, and suddenly I feel this weird drop in my chest and in my throat and I get very flushed like I have to catch my breath. Sometimes it's only one and sometimes I get a couple in a row. I feel very flushed and it just scares me so much. I've had these for a decade, but for some reason (probably my grandmother and grandfathers heart attacks) they "seem" worse and they are way scarier then they used to be. It almost feels like a pause and a flutter and I lose my breath and then I recover but it triggers my flight or fight sensation to the extreme.

Shed some light for me, is this what it feels like for any of you guys, do you feel like you have to catch your breath like you can't breathe?

I had two echo's (one in 1998 and one in 2002) and I've worn holter monitors and about 18 months ago I wore an event monitor for 30 days, I've had countless ECG's, but for some reason, every time I get one of these, all of that knowledge and reason flies out of the window and I'm back to being the scared frightened girl that I hate so much.

Thanks for listening and thank you for this board, it has been a godsend for me just to read others stories.:blush:
hi there, you have explained exactly how i feel when these things happen. as others have said, try to be positive although i know its not easy. just thought id let you know im here if you need to talk.
respect, alan:yahoo:

NervousNellie
17-01-09, 01:55
Hi and welcome to NMP!! :welcome: And welcome to the wonderful world of palpitations!!!!!

I can relate to how you are feeling. No matter how many times my doctors have told me that my heart is fine, I still don't believe it. I'm only 30 years old. These palpitations/skipped beats drive me over the edge. I've been suffering with them for over a year now. But after the past 2 days, I am now completely convinced that they are a result of my anxiety. I kind of had a break through. My husband and I recently closed our own business, and my husband took a "real" job this past Wednesday. Yesterday and today, my palpitations have been very infrequent - I only had them when the kids got me aggravated or when the puppy went potty in the house! I think I've been missing the stable life that I used to have. And now that I'm starting to get that back, I think I may actually be able to break out of this pattern!!! Hopefully you'll be able to find out what is causing your anxiety and have a break through of your own!! I know it's hard and it takes some time, but it WILL happen!!!