PDA

View Full Version : Indigestion triggering Panic Attacks

Mr_Mustard
15-01-09, 23:04
Just wondering if anyone else suffers from indigestion / trapped wind pains triggering panic attacks?

Been suffering for about a year with PA's which started in the good old tradition of thinking I was having a heart attack. Anyway, had all the usual tests and all the doctors can find is some mild gastritis. This seems to result in me getting pretty bad indigestion pain in my upper stomach and in my chest which most of the time is just a dull ache but occasionally quite a sharp stabbing pain hits followed a few minutes later with a lot of belching which seems to ease the pain.

Trouble is my mind by then is in overdrive and I work myself into total panic before the pain eases convincing myself it's the start of a heart attack! Pulse goes crazy, head starts to tingle feel really shaky etc.

I'm going to start hypnoanalysis to see if that helps but would be interested to hear if anyone else is experiencing the same

Feel better just writing this down!! :)

Thanks
Nigel

ams
16-01-09, 05:52
This happens to me off and on. I'll tell you exactly what I tell myself:

You've been to the doctor. Everything checked out okay, and they were able to find a reason for your pain. Were anything even close to being serious, they would have acted on it. These pains are an annoyance, but they'll pass. If you can't believe yourself, believe your doctor.

lorrifarko
16-01-09, 09:17
Hi mr mustard, this happens to me alot, to find it is just wind or indegestion.:doh: But it is scary when it happens. You just have to tell yourself its only wind and try and get on with your day, easier said than done i know:D

Nemo
16-01-09, 16:36
Hi.. I get this too from time to time and was diagnosed gastritis, even had scans. I think I would seek comfort form the fact you get belching - this is a sign that its trapped wind, and (I am no doctor but) I dont think that as a symptom of a heart attack..

june
17-01-09, 11:59
Hi mr mustard, this happens to me alot, to find it is just wind or indegestion.:doh: But it is scary when it happens. You just have to tell yourself its only wind and try and get on with your day, easier said than done i know:D
I also suffer this but it is very hard to believe it even when a doctor tells you there is nothing wrong and you still feel so scared.
There is also hyperventilation that causes all sorts of chest / abdominal aches and pains.
Best wishes
june
by the way your doc is right you will forget this pain and find another:ohmy: thats how anxiety works - anything that will worry us = will:blush:

playman44
17-01-09, 12:07
oh you so sound like me lol,i get this everyday uncomfotable pains under my ribs ,get myself into a right state fearing the worst ,then a good burp after a few minuits the pain goes and i start worrying about something else, you are not alone with this mr mustard

Emaa
17-01-09, 15:23
I get this, I got the 'trapped wind pains' so much that I just started drinking warm water to keep it at bay and stop me worrying. It is nothing though [: It's just your anxiety making you worry about it, we have to keep telling our selves this.

Though, look at all the people that's replied with the same symptoms [: Nothings happened to any of us, I'm sure you'll be fine [: x

Mr_Mustard
17-01-09, 17:33
Its good to know its not just me suffering like this but sad to hear there are so many of us letting our minds play tricks on us!!Been trying drinking hot water which does seem to help so thanks for that adviceAm having my first hypnotherapy session tomorrow so looking forward to seeing if that helps uncover what the underlying issues are!

HisCrazyQueen
16-02-17, 16:31
Has anyone out there been able to link indigestion as a massive trigger for the attacks

---------- Post added at 09:31 ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 ----------

I hope you are still out there would love to know id 9 years later there has been any relief