PDA

View Full Version : Hi All, Im Chris..

Parkerchu
16-01-09, 09:54
Firstly, I'd like to say how good I feel to have found this website, so I am able to share my problems with fellow sufferers who understand.

I'm 26 years old and I have suffered on and off with anxiety for around 8 years. When I was at school I was a very outgoing, happy go lucky kinda guy but towards the back end of my schooling I started to mix with the wrong crowd, and I started smoking cannabis, this I feel is what intitally triggered my anxiety. I smoked cannabis for a couple of years before it started to have any negative effect on me. I started to realise that I was no longer going out, and when I did occasionally go out, I would be uncomfortable, unable to speak to strangers (Especially women - infact I still can't) , would sweat profusely and worst of all I began to fear eye contact ( How Weird!)! Over time this started to become stored in my subconssious and slowly I became a recluse. I had a job at the time so that kept my me busy during the day but my social life started to suffer. I shut off contact with all my mates, I turned down offers every day to go out, I began to feel trapped and wondered if I would ever go back to normal. It was around this point when I had my one and only panic attack, and let me say anyone that does suffer with this condition, I feel for you because it was the worst experience of my life and it rocked me for quite a while, on a postive note I never smoked cannabis again as I was convinced it was the root cause.

I now new I needed to get help as I could no longer rationalise my thoughts, so I started cognitive behavioural therapy, for me this helped a great deal as been able to talk to someone who understood seemed to help more than the therapy itself. I started to feel more positive and learnt to confront these fears and not to ignore them.

The major turning point though was a change in jobs, it felt like a fresh start a clean slate and slowly I began to feel my normal self again. So I started to again SLOWLY see my friends and one by one I realised I could confront them and live a normal life.

So I thought I had beaten it once and for all. Before xmas I had a couple of nights where I didnt sleep possibly due to stress at work as I now have a fairly responsible job, anyway I began to panic about not been able to sleep and once again anxiety grabbed a hold of my life. I went to the doctors and they prescribed me citlopram to help ease the anxiety, well these only made me worse and after a week i went back to the docs and he prescribed me some anti depressents instead, as I was feeling pretty low, and of which i'm still taking.

Now the any help part...! I've managed to get back to normal with my sleep but I can't seem to shake the anxiety and I dont know why, I mean I was anxious due to not been able to sleep (Insomnia) but i'm sleeping like normal now so why is it still in my head! I've constantly got this tight feeling in my head (adrenaline I believe), I keep feeling panicky like im suddenly gonna go mad, i'm experiencing dispersonilisation (spelling??) and now i'm suffering with bad indigestion, so again felling pretty low! How can i ease this stupid tension! Any advice anyone?

Thanks for listening, I know I can beat this it just helps to hear advice from likeminded people.

spaced
16-01-09, 11:46
:welcome: hi and welcome to NMP:)

Patty
16-01-09, 13:16
Hi Chris, :)

:welcome: to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here.

Best wishes :)

bottleblond
16-01-09, 14:29
Hi Chris

Welcome to NMP. Nice to meet you.

Lisa
x

Veronica H
16-01-09, 14:37
:welcome: glad you have found us Chris.

Veronica

Parkerchu
16-01-09, 15:32
Thank you all for the very warm welcome!

I'm sure you will be hearing a lot from me in the future, as they say 'a problem shared is a problem halved'.

Chris

:D:D

Trapped
16-01-09, 15:34
Hi Chris, have you managed to stop smoking the weed now?
Iam fairly new too, welcome:welcome:

Parkerchu
16-01-09, 16:21
Hi :bighug1:,

Yeah don't touch the stuff! I smoked it for far too long, so long infact that I considered myself addicted, which medically they say can't happen, but let me tell you it definatley can. I've still got lots of friends who smoke it and they are all recluses, they just stop in and smoke and whenever you arrange anything with them they always let you down and come up with some rubbish excuse, I know cos Ive been there.

I think the government should consider re-classifying weed because its ruining some peoples lives!!

:yesyes:

weeble40
17-01-09, 00:20
Hi and a big welcome to NMP its great to have you here, hope to see you in chat sometime,

Take care

Emma xxx

sunshine-lady
17-01-09, 21:26
Hi and:welcome: to NMP, pleased you found us. I'm sure you will like it here as there is so much advice, information and support.

chat is fun too and a great place to make new friends:biggrin:

lorac
17-01-09, 21:46
Hi Chris

Welcome to the site I think you will find some good advice and support on here.

Take care

Carol

Jtravelgirl93
21-12-14, 21:29
hi I'm jess i suffer from severe anxiety and depression x