PDA

View Full Version : problems with vision - depth perception

om
16-01-09, 14:56
Hi.
This is a very long post but I would be so appreciative of any feedback.
I am currently in the grip of anxiety, mainly agoraphobia, and panic attacks (confirmed by my GP). Some of the symptoms are pretty terrifying. My main problem is with my vision. I get these funny visual problems where I lose depth perception, like things far away seem closer and things close to me seem very far away. I am short sighted and I wear contacts but am completely freaked out by wearing my glasses and I hate the feeling of not having a full visual field. Apologies if this isn’t very clear! I have been getting these occurrences for about 5 years now on and off. Although it is getting worse now and for about 3 years I have been getting the occurrences in my dreams (or nightmares!) and waking up with the vision problems present in my waking state. They usually go when I calm myself but lately they have been taking up to an hour to go away and I am left lying there waiting for them to go away. I am getting married in a few months and have been through a particularly anxious time for about a year as well which is why I think that they are getting worse. But sometimes they happen when I am fine. I have to some extent controlled them happening when I am awake by avoiding things that affect depth perception, like the cinema or flat screen tvs or staring at something for prolonged time. I have had my eyes completely checked by two opticians and my GP and they can’t find anything abnormal other than being short sighted! I am going to see an ophthalmologist too. The symptoms are so hard to describe I am just worried that something is being missed. I think if I could get reassurance that it is panic related and not something worse than I could go about healing. I am doing meditation and deep breathing but not medication yet apart from the odd xanax to sooth the panic attacks.

Patty
16-01-09, 16:22
Hi Om, :)

I wanted to let you know that I can understand how you're feeling with worrying about your vision. I go through periods where I would keep analyzing my vision. I would keep asking myself: 'Can I see clearly?' On waking many times I have went into a complete panic because my vision seems so 'strange'. Then after a while it would be o.k. again. I think that a mixture of panic/anxiety and my eyes naturally being a bit more 'blurry' when I wakened was to blame.

I would also tend to get 'floaters' across my vision at times - these are made a lot worse by worrying about them & focusing on them.

With wearing glasses - around the edges can seem a bit 'strange' if you concentrate on it. There are times that even this would make me think 'I can't see properly'.

I don't know if you have experienced depersonalisation / derealisation? I would get this and I think it can also add to your vision feeling very 'strange'.

I find that the more I focus on it the worse it can get. You worry that there is something 'wrong'. Panic & anxiety can produce some 'strange' symptoms indeed. I have found that it is such a relief to realise that such symptoms are down to them.

Best wishes xx :hugs:

om
16-01-09, 17:04
thanks for that Patty. I think it's so bad because vision is something that you feel is vital so when it is disturbed it is very scary. it doesn't help being short sighted! i will try not focus on the occurences happening. it's hard though!

Henry1234
16-01-09, 17:16
Hi

I get this - things seem too far away and too near and it is very distressing

not much comfort but want to tell you I understand and know how you feel

Mark

om
17-01-09, 11:26
thanks Mark. i think once i now that it is panic attacks and anxiety and not something else i can start dealing with it. it has taken me a while to come to terms with the fact that these things are panic related. i am trying meditation at the moment. I might look into hypnotherapy.

Nechtan
19-01-09, 00:47
thanks Mark. i think once i now that it is panic attacks and anxiety and not something else i can start dealing with it. it has taken me a while to come to terms with the fact that these things are panic related. i am trying meditation at the moment. I might look into hypnotherapy.

I agree. When I first had visual problems they really scared me but thankfully they went of their own accord. I was though still worried about them. When I started to read though that they are an offshoot of anxiety it was a real weight off my mind. Understanding is a massive healer.

All the best

Nechtan

om
19-01-09, 13:58
thanks for that. was there anything in particular that you did for the visual problems to go away apart from trying not to worry about them?

Nechtan
19-01-09, 23:25
thanks for that. was there anything in particular that you did for the visual problems to go away apart from trying not to worry about them?

No they just went of their own accord. I had a sort of fuzziness to begin with that was a bit of a nightmare because I still had to drive back and forward to work- usually up to an hour either way. That lasted for about a week and a half and went. Since then I have had at various times floaters like Patty mentioned and also dark blotches. But they always go in time. Some shorter than others. From memory I think the longest has been a week.

A few years back when I went for an eye test I was told that my eyes were very dry and I think this is partly to do with it too. I was told the best thing to do was to use warm water mixes with baby shampoo and wipe the lids of my eyes. Me being me though never stuck to it.

I hope your own problem clears soon. I have read that with anxiety we obviously tense up and this does not just effect the muscle in the body but also the eye muscles which creates these visual disturbances. So unless we can find a way to relieve the tension then it may persist for a a while.

All the best

Nechtan

om
20-01-09, 13:53
thansk Nechtan. am off to the opthamologist on friday and i hope that he can clear it up for me.

victoria14
07-07-12, 22:56
oh my god, i finally found someone else with the same thing. when things seem far away when they're close and things that are close seem far away. For me it also happens with sounds, like things would sound sped up or slowed down. I get really freaked out, and I've been to the hospital for it. It's been happening since i was like 5-6, so for 8-9 years. I could barely explain it to them and every time we left the E.R. i wouldn't feel anything anymore for at least 2-3 months. It usually happens after I sleep. I want to know if its a phobia or something. Now i just watch YouTube videos until it passes. I had problems with Intro-cranial pressure, and while i had it, a nerve in my eye got swollen, but I had it way before then. my family members also take anxiety medication. I NEVER understood what it was, but the people at the E.R. called them "visual disturbances." Sorry about the long reply but I've never even heard of another person having the same problems.

PanchoGoz
07-07-12, 23:10
Hello. This is called "alice in wonderland syndrome". I have it too - have a google and look at my threads. I have it in ears too like the above poster. So glad to see more people like me. I'm trying to desensitize to it as it starts panic when I see things that are too big or small or out of proportion.

---------- Post added at 23:10 ---------- Previous post was at 22:59 ----------

I would like to add it's such an uncomfortable feeling, so crushing! I can't explain it, it started when I was a child in night terrors, went away and came back as a kind of phobia during a breakdown in my teens. Now I have phobia of myself.

Anyway these are my threads on the issue:
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=87085
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=73541
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=72477
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=62231

rjguzzone
04-01-14, 17:23
I've had issues for a long time now with depth perception, but it's like it bothers me that I can't "see" something. Sharp angles get me, like I'm trying to see or "fill in" what i can't see. Pony tails, or chin lines will bug be. Long hair... like I'm trying to fill in every little detail. It's hard to explain, but I'm convinced it's a symptom of anxiety/chemical imbalance. I take meds, it helps, but in the end, the symptoms of OCD and anxiety can very greatly, and they often make no sense (because they are just symptoms, not the root of the issue).

Sorry for the late posting on an old topic.

PanchoGoz
04-01-14, 23:25
Can't say I've heard of that before, but if it get's worse with anxiety and less with distraction, it's anxiety!

rjguzzone
05-01-14, 00:00
Can't say I've heard of that before, but if it get's worse with anxiety and less with distraction, it's anxiety!

Yea, that's a very good point. Less with distraction, yea, that's anxiety. Symptoms can very wildly, so I'm not surprised you've not heard of that, heck, I feel silly trying to explain it.

Another thing that helps me is coming to the realization that I'm not in control. I turn it over to God. It's in his hands. Lots of scriptural references that have helped me. One in particular...

James 1:2-3
Trials and Temptations
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.

And this one...

Philippians 4:6-7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

If your a christian, these are some powerful quotes.

Thanks for the reply.