PDA

View Full Version : emetophobia?

tryingtocope
16-01-09, 16:52
Ive had emetophobia since a food posioning incedent when i was 5. Until about a year ago, i had a phobia of it, and panicked when people got sick, if i felt sick and generally tried my best to stop myself getting ill, but it didnt affect my day to day life.

Im now 20 and for the last year ive started getting panic attacks and constant anxeity because of it, its wrecking my life at the moment. I know the whole things stems from my fear of being sick.

I just wondered if any other emetophobics would answer a few things for me:

Are any of you ever sick?

I occationally feel really ill, and im sure if i was anyone else i would have actually thrown up. But it feels like i actually cant. (not that i want to!) I havnt thrown up since i became emetophobic 15 years ago. Could my body forget how to do it? Probably a stupid question, i know.

Secondly, i sometimes feel like if i was actually sick, i might get over my phobia. Anyone have any opinions on this? Is anyone here emetophobic that is sometimes sick, but then still have the phobia? Or does it put things into perspective and make the phobia better?

SharonDerby
16-01-09, 21:38
Hi Trying.
I have no idea if actualy being sick would cure you/us.
I have been emit for 20 years, it has ruined my life and no mistake, i have asked myself and wondered many times the same things you are asking, i guess people are diff some it really effects and some who are emit say they have been sick and are still phobic, so i have no idea, all i pray is that i am never sick ever ever ever i would rather chew my own arm off than be sick.

Sharon :)

tryingtocope
16-01-09, 22:36
I know how you feel. I would happily have someone remove a limb for the gaurantee i would never be sick again. But having anxiety like this is ruining my life (the phobia alone was fine) i dont know which is worse!

tryingtocope
16-01-09, 22:37
ps, i'm guessing you havnt been sick for 20 years then ?

HighwayMiles
17-01-09, 02:19
I know how you feel. I would happily have someone remove a limb for the gaurantee i would never be sick again. But having anxiety like this is ruining my life (the phobia alone was fine) i dont know which is worse!

I've said the exact same thing. That's just how I feel.

It's so strange because I was diagnosed with anxiety after a bout of food poisoning when I was 25. I was anxious, had panic attacks, lost weight...but it wasn't emetophobia. Then I worked at a daycare for a few years and was sick constantly, everything you can imagine, yet I wasn't anxious about it. Then I had a child, she got sick and BOOM.... I'm emetophobic and a disaster. It doesn't make any sense to me. I worked at a daycare, was a nanny for years, babysat, had a kid, wanted to become a teacher.... and now I won't go anywhere near a small child if I have a choice. I hate this. I know I'm hurting my child by being like this but I just can't make it stop! :weep:

Katie1633
10-03-09, 23:35
Hi all, in answer to your question as to whether or not actually being sick cures emetophobia, in my case NO! My son who is 3 started nursery last Sept., and has brought home numerious bugs. I have caught it everytime and still dread the time when it will happen again. But I have heard that it does cure some people. I hadn't been sick for years, then since he started nursery, I've been sick about 5 times in 7 months!! Not good, especially as my emetophobia is at it's worst and I am housebound due to Agoraphobia because of it. Katie x

fuggamoose
11-03-09, 13:11
Hi,

I'm an emetophobe and I've been sick fairly recently. I caught a stomach bug from somewhere about 8 or 9 months ago. It wasn't pleasent, but it was so much better than what I'd been dreading for years and years. I didn't enjoy myself (who does like being sick?) but it wasn't nearly as bad as what I'd been worrying about. You just kind of do it and once you're sick and the panic is over you feel a bit better. I can't say it cured me, because I'm heading towards agorogphobia because of my emet, but it made me feel a bit more positive for a couple of weeks at least. So I guess it had a silver lining.

I wish there was a cure for this so that we can all get on with our lives.

Charlotte x

rocklover
11-03-09, 16:03
Hi, I am an emet and like you I don't throw up often (I am sure that I don't allow myself to). However, when I was pregnant I felt really sick all the time and had alot of sickness too, so much so, I ended up in hospital on a drip.

The year after I had a tummy bug on holiday which shocked me. After both these events my emetephobia reduced considerably, so I think actually being sick can be beneficial for our minds.

However, last yr my anxiety started after I accepted a job I didn't want, I ended up feeling sick all the time as my main symptom and as a result my emet has made a return. I am fighting it, but it's very hard. However, I do believe that I am more scared of the idea of being sick than actually having to do it, because I have been sick and I didn't die, it didn't stop me from going out and I didn't go mad.

I am not sure that I can ever be "cured", but I do know that it can be kept out of sight and unthought of until I encounter high levels of stress. I beat it once before and I am sure I can do it again!

tryingtocope
13-03-09, 22:58
I get stupid thoughts like, i don't want anyone to see/hear me. What if i choke?? doesnt the toilet water splash back up in your face?? So it's this aswell as the sick bit!

I know i'm wierd lol

Little Miss Kizzy
25-03-09, 20:39
Hi I'm new to this forum & I also have a Emet phobia. mine started when I was young I'm now 33 & at the age where I'm thinking of starting a family but I am scared to death about it. :wacko:
I'm alot like you & I'm sure alot of other Emet people I worry about being ill all the time but I have got alot better then I was the thing that's really on my mind at the moment is starting a family, do I or don't I :shrug:

PHOBIA MAN
25-03-09, 23:09
No, your body cannot forget how to be sick, for a start it's not your body but the autonomic system (controlled by your unconscious mind, mostly out of your entire control) in a way, we as humans owe our very lives to this fantastic survival mechanism, think of it, you're a cave woman/man and you try to eat a plant that looks quite delicious but it has a poisonous element to it, you eat it, then your clever stomach detects a dangerous compound and then decides the quickest exit from your body, it convulses your stomach, and out it comes, saving your life!!!
As for being sick curing you, i'm not saying it's impossible, but I kinda doubt it, but maybe proving that it aint that bad, and, what was all the fuss about may help, who knows?
Look, if you are going to be sick, wherever you are and whatever the facilities around you, you'll just be sick, and frankly there isn't a damned thing you can do about it, so you might just as well just get on with life as best you can knowing this is natural, not only not deadly but a possible life saver. Heaven knows I understand as I have cured emets numerous times but not by stopping the response (I can't do that anyway) but leaving a kind of acceptance of natures disposal system!
Do you mind telling what happened when you were 5, I may have a suggestion for you, to help.
best wishes.