PDA

View Full Version : Fear of Flying.. Hypnotherapy any good?

starlight78
16-01-09, 18:56
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a huge phobia of flying which appears to have got worse over the years. I have taken meds and also a CBT which helped a bit. I last flew about 8 months ago and i cried my way through it. I was wondering if anyone had tried hypnotherapy and whether it was helpful.

Thanks for reading this.

Wishing you lots of happines

nomorepanic
16-01-09, 19:40
I did. Read the hypnotherapy page on the left to read my experience.

Xoa1978
19-01-09, 12:43
I am terrified of flying but I was told my phobia was more a phobia of dying and thats why as i get older its worse. Let me know anything that helps x

melodinpanic
19-01-09, 19:42
Hi there!
I used to be terrified of flying. I'm from Italy and I had to go back home and back here in the UK something like 3 times a year. Everytime I would be scared to death of flying.
One day I read this book called 'The Secret to conquering FEAR' by Mike Hernacki. Really interesting book, and I got over my fear!
Sometimes before flying it comes back but I remember what I read in the book and I fly happily.
From Italy and Uk it was only one hour and a half, soon I'll fly for 12 or more hours to go to South Africa so I'll need to read the book again!
Please read this book, it will help you.
I think Hypnotherapy would help you too!
:bighug1:

starlight78
20-01-09, 21:38
Hiya,
Thanks so much for your feedback. I will definately try and get hold of that book.

Many thanks

Scottishlass
31-01-09, 18:01
have awful fear of flying and dying...it controls my life

purplehaze
31-01-09, 19:05
As we all know, flying is the safest form of transport because there is no boy racers anywhere near you when your in a plane. Sure long flights are boring but a good book, puzzles, etc can keep you from thinking about anything else.
Hypnotherapy can help, as does exposure. I.E. going to an airport and just being in that environment.

As for death, well we are all going to die sometime and there is nothing we can do about it. I remember when John lennon was shot and the medical expert said to his wife "even if he had been shot in an operating room, we could not have saved him" I suppose that gave her some peace knowing that no matter how quick an ambulance got there he would still have died.

This saying is so true " to scared to die means we are to scared to live"

Little Miss Anxious
24-02-09, 12:49
Hi there.

I dont think i have a 'phobia' of flying as I will board a plane & do fly quite frequently. I am just incrediby anxious befure & during. I get a little tight in my chest, feel a bit tearful at take-off and sit looking around the cabin for reassurance every time there is an odd noise or turbulance.

My big test will be this Friday when I am flying out on my own (not completely on my own but you know what I mean) to see my husband who is working in central Europe. I have bought some Bachs rescue remedy & dont fly until mid day so have time for a quick vodka before boarding so hopefully I will get through it just fine ! Got to admit though, I am not sleeping particularly well this week as that & a few other things are on my mind.

I used to be much worse than I am now but think I have reached a plateau, I am quite interested about hypmotism as I would really love to enjoy flying (the anxiety always takes away a little of the excitement of going on hoilday) but dont really know what to expect ??

Wish me luck for Friday, lol :ohmy:

Little Miss Anxious
24-02-09, 13:01
Also, I found a great website, flyingwithoutfear.com. It has loads of little video's with Pilots & Cabin Crew explaining things that bother us, like what causes different noises, what & why turbulance occurs, it even shows landings & take offs from inside the cockpit with the pilots explaning how it all works (I think they would be better concentrating on the task in hand though when landing & taking off though :yesyes:) Basically it just shows how the things we fear are all in a days work for them.

As I say my anxiety over flying is not cured but this website has helped me get to the point I am now.....I would have never travelled alone a few years ago :yahoo:

Natox78
25-02-09, 18:13
I was flying phobic for years and then my dad, God love him, moved to Tenerife! I've had to fly quite often and in fact I am flying tomorrow too. I have an odd thing about it now.The fear in my head is totally gone but on the morning of the flight I have loads of physical anxiety symptoms. My mind is totally happy but somewhere it must remember that flying = bad!

I must say I feel a lot better now knowing one of those massive things can land in a river and everybody gets out alive!

PHOBIA MAN
26-02-09, 01:32
Well I am a Hypnotherapist and NLP practitioner and I am proud to say on the subject of flying phobia I have helped over a hundred people to fly, most treatments are complete in one to three sessions.
Just received an email from a client's son in canada, Quote "Dad arrived looking surprisingly calm considering how he was before, many thanks for helping him"
A phobia need never be permanent!

bubbleblitt
26-02-09, 07:06
I am terrified of flying and it has got worse the more I fly.The build up to the flight a few weeks before is awful.
I've tried using valium, rescue remedy and had counselling, CBT and hypnotherapy and it hasn't helped.I recently spoke to a TFT (thoight field therapist) over the phone who ran through the tapping technique with me and that seems to have brought the anxiety level down a bit.I'm waiting to see a TFT therapist soon so will report back on my progress

justbananas
04-03-09, 05:15
get a book on flying! there are books that explain every noise, every detail etc.. a lot of panic has to do with lack of control - and reading/researching/learning (properly) can help. i used to get so sick over flying i once got to the airport and refused to get on the plane, then i walked to the rental car place and drove instead. which is NUTS because i was flying from chicago to new york (which is like 800 miles or 1300 km) and i needed to be there for a meeting. NUTS. nowadays i fly all the time, and even enjoy it. i used to cry and hyperventilate.. now i read, take pictures out the window with my camera phone (gasp) and listen to music. seemingly simple things but hard to do when you're a nervous flyer. my boyfriend used to say 'just relax and listen to music' and i'd be like YEAH RIGHT. people just don't understand. well, trust me when i say you can get over it. i did.