PDA

View Full Version : a tiny piece of good news today

amu
16-01-09, 21:48
As I've been worried about a lump in my abdomen (:unsure:) and I couldn't wait until my ultrasound appointment, I had a tumour marker test done privately for bowel cancer (the Tumor M2-PK test) and I have been waiting for the results for the last for weeks at the edge of my seat jumping whenever the phone rang. The result has finally come today and it's negative.:) The test has 85% sensitivity (it shows 85% of bowel tumours), but the ones it doesn't show are usually rectal/last end of colon, while my lump is on the right side, so high up.
So, though this doesn't mean I don't have cancer (it could be ovarian, or uterine, or lymphoma, or even a hiding bowel cancer, or anything), I can maybe have a calmer weekend than the previous ones were (crying on my boyfriend's shoulder, hugging my son tightly all day, reading about death etc). I've mostly worried about bowel cancer as my Dad had it, so I guess that's the one I'm most likely to get - so this negative test is good news isn't it?
I still feel so fragile, like I could start freaking out again any time. :blush: The breathless feeling has stopped as well, even though I had had it for months! Weird, isn't it?

Nechtan
16-01-09, 23:15
Hi,

That is great news for you. That is a big percentage of doubt removed so I hope that takes the weight off your shoulders. And it sounds like it has. The breathlessness was no doubt down to you being tensed up with worry for all that time- and rightly so as that would be a massive worry for anyone. I hope now you can get some rest because you'll no doubt feel very tired now after being apprehensive for so long.

I hope the future is brighter for you now and you go on from strength to strength as you deserve it after such a period.

All the best and take care,

Nechtan