PDA

View Full Version : Freaking out!

Vanilla Sky
16-01-09, 22:46
I went to the docs today coz my results of bloods came back, they came back ok apart from my cholesterol which came back at 7.5, that wasnt really a big shock i knew it was high but its gone up since 2years ago. Also my blood pressure was high which could have been the anxiety of the test results, the doc wasnt to concerned about that but she will be monitoring it. Since iv come home ive been freaking out all evening, im so scared, iv got to take SIMVASTATIN 40mg at night, wish i never read the side effects, one of them is the allergic reaction that you normally get on any leaflet ''swelling of the face and neck get emergency treatment'' so iv taken half a tablet ( just in case ), and now im feeling myself panicing, thats why im writing this thread trying to take my mind of it. High blood pressure and high cholesterol, perfect combination for a heart attack AND i smoke, oh my god iv tried to stop so many times ! Is anyone else on statins, how do you get on with them, any side effects... someone answer me im so afraid :weep: Paige

CJH86
16-01-09, 23:01
Hi, i know how you feel i went to the docs the other day and my BP was 160/90 which freaked the life out of me coz im only 22:s found it unbelievable that anxiety could push it up that high (im a smoker and always worry about that too but cant seems to give up, sometimes i even think it helps me)!

In regards to the statin, most people take them with no side effects whatsoever, you have to remember all the side effects listed on patient info leaflets are anything that can even be very vaugely linked to the drug (ive been learning about them a lot as am a 3rd year pharmacy student) Its benefit against risk and allergic reactions are on the whole unusual :)

NervousNellie
16-01-09, 23:37
My dad takes Simvastatin twice a day. He has never had any side effects at all. He's also on cholesterol medication and he's a smoker. He had a teeny, tiny heart attack 3 years ago, but there was no damage to his heart. As a matter of fact, he just had an EKG done last week and the cardiologist said it was a miracle - the EKG showed absolutely no indication that he ever had a heart attack and no indication of heart disease! They attribute that to his cholesterol medication and the Simvastatin - those 2 medications have helped to REVERSE his heart disease! Amazing, isn't it????

Emaa
17-01-09, 00:14
I don't really have experience with Simvastatin, but I do with the reading the side effects.. I end up not taking the pills then, other wise I end up in a bit of a state. If you took half a pill though and nothing happened then I'm sure everything will be fine [: - Everything had side effects now-a-days and it's very rare that anyone experiences them.
xxx

Vanilla Sky
17-01-09, 00:42
Thanks for your replies, i went into the chat room and felt better so i took the other half! I know its silly i wish i could stop. I understand that all the side effects have to be on the leaflet but for someone like me that aint good! thanks again xx

NervousNellie
17-01-09, 01:45
I know that everyone tells you not to read the side effects, but I'm the type of person that won't take a medication unless I know what to watch for. The side effects that come with the medication are meant to keep you safe. But for those of us with HA, it seems like all of these things will happen to us, all at the same time. I hate taking medication all together. But the chances of you having any side effects are slim to none. All you can do is give it a try. When I start new medication, I always make sure that someone I trust is aware of it and are close by, just in case I have a problem. So far, I've never had a problem with medication - I just have a problem with HA!!

lorrifarko
17-01-09, 09:00
Hi paige, They leaflets are there to cover themselves, just in the rare case of anything happing, which it wont cause its so rare for side effects. You should take them, they will help to lower your cholestrel:yesyes: xxx

jue67
17-01-09, 18:23
Hi
I can sympathise, i was given blood pressure meds and read the leaflet, it took me 5 days to decide to take one. my bp was 180 over 90 at times and i think it was stress, with the meds its 140 over 75 which my gp seems happy with. I took one and laid down next to my hubby and expected to die, i was sure my lips were numb! anyway ive been taking them for about 10 months now and my gp dosnt want to see me for a year. i will go of course to the nurse just to reassure myself!
hope your okay

jools