PDA

View Full Version : what should I do?

tom1
17-01-09, 01:54
Hi peeps,
I got a much more positive post to share this time, as opposed to the usual negativity - something I am trying to stop! :)

Ok, so I am seeing my therapist now for CBT (yeah I finally got to see a therapist after a long wait!) and the way CBT therapy work seems to pretty much make sense to me. By that I mean in terms of reprogramming the way I think about stuff. I've been thinking in such a negative while for so long it's hard for me to see anything positive, and well CBT seems like the only thing that's going to change that.

Also for those who don't know, I did CBT before but I never really got anywhere with it (4 years ago) maybe the medication allowed me to think I didn't need it and I got lazy? who knows.

So anyway, my point is I am actually starting to believe I can and will overcome some of my problems for the first time ever in my life. I haven't actually overcome anything major yet but I suppose acknowledging the possibility is the first big step...

Inevitably all this positive stuff has made me put forward the question of: "Do I really need medication?" so when I think about this I see 2 sets of reasons for and against:

1. It does help and I can cope much easier.
2. It doesn't cure anything, and the side-effects on create problems of their own.

So when I see this, I think to myself do I risk coming off them again to tackle my anxiety with CBT medication free? Or do I continue as I am and use CBT along side the medication I am on and come off when I am ready?

Sometimes I feel just so desperate to come off Sertraline that maybe I am taking things a little bit too fast. Last time I came off for 4 months but I relapsed and went back on it but I didn't have the support of CBT that I have now... Also, on Sertraline it messes up my motivation, sleeping, eating and it sometimes gives me really bad headaches.

I am a little bit tied up in what I think I should do. So what do you think I should do?

Thanks

jill
17-01-09, 18:10
Hi Tom :D:hugs:

Its good to hear you are getting help and having CBT your positive mind will help you get where you want to be and that is feeling better.

I can only say what I would do.

If I felt the meds where working and I had MORE positive results from the med, then I would stay on them while doing cbt, talk to the therapist and see what they say, when I had leaned more with cbt and felt MORE confidant, then I would come off them slowly.

There can be lots of things that bring you to panic, anxiety and lots of things keeping it there, BUT when getting better a cobination of things help you get better, finding your own combination is dame hard,

I would what I call, feel my way through things, DON'T rush into making deccissions, the mind when getting better has a way of telling you things, so take one day at a time.

Start your cbt, stay on the meds and see how you go.

YOU TAKE CARE

WISHING YOU WELL

LOVE JILLXXX

tom1
17-01-09, 22:55
Hi Jill, I think you probably are right. I am rushing into things. I guess I was just feeling a little bit more confident and positive from usual. But like you said, I guess I need to take one day at a time!

I know I can beat this monster. For the first time in my life I feel like I am getting the tools and the help to finally overcome my life's struggles. My goal is to come eventually come off medication altogether and be able to tackle my life without having to ever go back on 'something'. That to me is the dream I want to live.

I am a bit concerned however what to do in the time being with the medication I'm on. I'm on sertraline as previously mentioned but I keep getting really bad headaches. I've had these before when I first went on it, but this time they aren't going away. Obviously I need to do something, but I'm feeling a little afraid of moving from Sertraline to something else and suffering something more extreme.

freakedout
17-01-09, 23:29
Hi Tom,

Great news that you are on your second attempt of CBT, I do hope that it helps and you certainly sound positive about it which can only help. I am also on my second attempt. Are you having CBT for an anxiety disorder or depression or both?

My psychologist does tend to remind me that things often get worse before they get better, I do find that I might take one step forward then five back and trying to put myself into anxiety provoking situations does indeed still bring lots of anxiety, especially anticipatory anxiety. I am only saying that to you because I would hate for you to take on too much too soon. Obviously there are benefits to getting off meds, especially if you feel you have reached your optimum potential with them. Again, I would seek a professional opinion as they usually say you should be symptom free for a certain length of time before coming off them. If you think the sertraline are causing your headaches maybe you could ask if you could lower the dose a little. There is no fun in having bad headaches all the time.

Whatever you decide I want to wish you all the best of luck, keep us informed and let us know how your CBT goes.

Freaky

tom1
17-01-09, 23:49
Hi freakedout, really interesting points you put there.

Yeah I am doing CBT for both anxiety and depression since my anxiety causes my depression in my case.

I know what you mean about anticipatory anxiety, I can feel myself envisioning really vividly what migh happen. But, I am learning now when I go into that particular train of thought before doing something to tell myself it's ridiculous and to think about something totally different. I have noticed this has calmed me somewhat and hopefully I can master it and overcome this particular problem.

In regards to Sertraline, I currently take 25mg which is a 50mg split in half. 50mg is a pretty low dose anyway, but it gives me weird side-effects from time to time, which is why I went down to 25mg. Each dose I've tried seems to always give me these headaches after a certain period of time, then I have to change dose to get rid of them. It's really weird, but very annoying. I think I might go back on citalopram and give it a go again as this has very little side-effects and is generally much nicer to take than a lot of the other SSRIs out there. Paroxetine was the most effective for me, but it's withdrawal and sedation causes some rather scarey effects on me.