PDA

View Full Version : swallowing problem due to panic?

sp_phoenix
17-01-09, 07:29
Hello, I have been having a swallowing problem for a couple of months now. It is confined to solid foods such as meats, breads, etc. I have to chew the food for a long time and focus on getting the food to back of my throat to swallow it. I can swallow liquids fine and if I drink liquid with the food it helps the food go down. It almost seems like I have lost confidence in my ability to swallow solid foods. I don't choke, but I think that if I swallow too much I will. I have also been having attacks recently that resemble panic attacks (racing heart, blood rushing to head), but I believe that the swallowing problem preceded the attacks by a month or so. I was wondering if the two are connected, if the swallowing problem sounds like its panic induced or due to something else, and if anyone else is experiencing any problems like this? Thanks a lot for any of your replies, I appreciate it.

Dominic1975
17-01-09, 08:31
I havent ever experienced a problem swallowing, but I do suffer from loss of appetite, which is linked to anxiety, so this maybe a similar cause
I normally just switch to eating soups, fruit and milk shakes until I start to fancy food again
Sorry I couldnt help more

spaced
17-01-09, 10:10
hi
i think the problem with swallowing is link to anxiety. i went through a phase of not been able to eat solid food. if your worried speak to your doctor.

tanya 1
17-01-09, 10:22
:) hi,
when i used to get anxious going out for meals,i just couldnt swallow properly and thought i was going to choke,but i was fine at home so i new it was just because i was anxious about going out and eating,so when i go out i choose simple meals where i dont have to chew for ages because when im anxious i tense my jaw.
hope this helps you x

june
17-01-09, 11:28
There is something about difficulty swallowing in "Claire Weeks book 'More Help for Your Nerves'"
I have had this problem for years sometimes it is much worse and then it will disappear - no idea why. Taking tablets of any kind is almost impossible - some i have had to spit out and try again as they have started to disolve:blush:
There are only two "tricks" which work most times one is to Actually think about and then do (in very quick succession) click my fingers, and swallow:ohmy:
(The relief is amazing "I did it":yesyes: )
The other is to think about standing up / quickly look at something.
Basically it is about distraction DO NOT THINK ABOUT SWALLOWING it will happen:blush:
I hope this helps you - i do know how horrid it is.
anxiety is all part of it
Best wishes
june
:hugs: