PDA

View Full Version : Is your anxiety/panic made worse because you are worried how people will judge you??

madinmayo
17-01-09, 12:47
Just wondering really whether or not other people who suffer from anxiety/panic attacks think what other people may think of you excacerbates the problem. It's just dawned on me that I care too much about what other people think of me. When I get panicky I worry that people will notice that I'm panicky and that makes it even worse. If I could just stop worrying about how other people perceive me I'm sure that I would cope a lot better. But how to do that I dont know :unsure: . I hate how people say to me..." Your hands are shaking look!" I think yes I know I cant help it!!! How rude to point that out to someone....I mean I wouldnt say to someone..." You've got a big spot on your face look!" would I?? :mad:

Sorry Ive rambled a bit.....

Patty
17-01-09, 13:32
Hi madinmayo, :)

I would worry about this an awful lot. I can totally relate to everything you say here:

I care too much about what other people think of me. When I get panicky I worry that people will notice that I'm panicky and that makes it even worse. If I could just stop worrying about how other people perceive me I'm sure that I would cope a lot better. But how to do that I dont know :unsure: .

I don't know why I worry so much about what 'other people' think of me.:shrug: Maybe it's something to do with my own low self-confidence & low self-esteem. I try to keep my anxiety & panic totally hidden from other people and I think this puts even more pressure on me. I would totally dread going places in case I saw someone I knew and I had to talk to them in case they noticed 'something' was wrong with me. I need to get a job at the moment and I'm afraid to apply for anything because I'm afraid of taking panic attacks, shaking, not being able to speak etc... etc... in a job interview!!

Sorry I have no advice on this - I just wanted to let you know that I know how you feel.

Best wishes xx :bighug1:

madinmayo
17-01-09, 13:45
Hi Patty :) ,

Thanks for your reply....it's not just me then? :D

I'm also about to start job hunting and I'm petrified. I know getting a job

will make me feel better in the long run but at the moment I'm dreading

it. My fella doesnt understand. He's one of those lucky people who never

gets nervous about anything.

Patty
17-01-09, 14:10
Hi madinmayo, :)

As you say getting a job would help in the long run - it would make you see that you can do it & it was just all the negative thinking that was holding you back from going for it.

People have said to me that you should think of yourself as being as good as anyone else - maybe if I tell myself that enough times I might start believing it!! :doh:

Oh I so wish that I was like that - not nervous about anything. My hubby is very much like that as well!! :D

Unless you've been here yourself I think you can't really understand how scary it can all be at times. I know that with going into a job interview etc.. that you shouldn't care what they think but it's getting in there in the first place!! :scared15: I really need some coping techniques for this one!!

Best wishes xx :bighug1: