PDA

View Full Version : making progress but feeling fearful of panic after the event

reachersgal
17-01-09, 20:46
Hello,

I have been making progress to address my agoraphobia. This weekend I have been to a pop concert by myself and stayed overnight in the city (my husband stayed too) walked through the city alone and gone in a lift a number of times. I really enjoyed the concert and felt so positive and that I can beat this. The band said a lot of really encouraging things that made me believe that I can do anything I wish for.

The thing is today I feel absolutely shattered and actually quite depressed. I didn't sllep well because as usual I was worried about not sleeping and wishing I could just go home, I didn't sleep well because off ringing in my ears (side-effect of the concert) but it agrevates my phobia because I am not in control of it and can't escape from it. So I'm very worried about having a panic attack tonight and feel back to square one.

I think I have expended so much energy and have no reserves to draw on. so now I feel I'm having a step back even when I have juat achieved so much. Yesterday I felt so good and positive and on the right track

Will this after effect gradually get less, because I am having to deal with anticpatory anxiety before hand and then get through the event and then dealling with the after effect is not at all pleasent.

Thankyou for listening.

suzy-sue
17-01-09, 21:56
HI AND WELL DONE FOR FACING YOUR FEAR.WHAT YOU ARE FEELING NOW IS COMMON & A NORMAL REACTION,STOP WORRYING,IT ONLY MAKES IT WORSE. THE MORE YOU GO OUT AND DO THINGS ,THE BETTER YOU WILL GET.CLAIRE WEEKES BOOK" ESSENTIAL HELP FOR YOUR NERVES "EXPLAINS THIS IN DETAIL! AND WOULD HELP YOU IM SURE!YOU CAN BUY IT FROM THE N.M.P SHOP. LOTS OF HUGS :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: SUZY x

eternally optimistic
17-01-09, 22:43
Hi ....

and well done for achieving soo much.

You probably do feel drained from all that you've been through, but dont try to dwell on that.

You MUST build on what you've done and that is great.

Gather yourself together and tomorrow you will be able to reflect and
realise you've achieved loads.

Im gonna use your experience as a positive thing when I go to London for a weekend with my husband.

We're going to hopefully see a show, hotel booked.

Ive specified we dont do this and dont do that..... LOL.

WELL DONE AGAIN.

reachersgal
20-01-09, 10:05
Thankyou Suzy and Jackie,
I do now feel better - I know I need to keep going. I will check out the Claire Weeks book. I know I need to read more about this condition to help myself.

Jackie please let us know how your weekend goes I hope you have a super time and enjoy your show.

The concert i went to was New Kids on the block - and one memeber Jon left the group back in the early 90's because of crippling panic attacks so he was a gret inspiration in pressing forward to go to the concert becasue he is back and stage and travelling after yrs of being paralysed by anxiety.

shortstuff
20-01-09, 11:31
WELL DONE YOU!!!!

I hope to be as brave as you soon - I can't imagine taking that first step! Be encouraged by what you have achieved and allow yourself some TLC - you have just run a psychological marathon, and I'm sure Paula Radcliffe feels shattered the day after she runs!!!! The world is now at your feet, but you don't need to explore it all in one go :winks:

Once again - :bighug1: WELL DONE :bighug1:

Nic