PDA

View Full Version : Going mad and blood pressure

nikkixx
17-01-09, 22:07
Hi everyone,

I suffer from Health Anxiety and have done for years. I am currently 33wks pregnant and am terrified every time I have a midwife appointment that my blood pressure will be sky high and they will keep me in. I've got myself so worked up about it that my old fears of going mad are coming back now too.

My blood pressure at the last appointment was 148/88 and then after she had let me calm down - I was shaking and nearly in tears letting her do it in the first place - it was 142/76. My original booking in figure was 150/84 and they wrote on my notes - hospital/doctor phobic!

Does anyone else have a fear of having their bp done and also does anyone worry that they are going to go mad?

Nikki x

jackie l
17-01-09, 22:24
hiya,my bp used to be sky high my health anxiety was taking up every waking moment,i used to be terrified every time i went to have it taken,but now it has come down to a proper level,also i have heard about white coat syndrome,apparently it can make your bp rise, i think thats why they took 2 readings from you,and thats what they meant when they wrote dr/hospital phobia,try not to worry too much it wont be helping your bp take care jackiexxxxxx:hugs:

pyg2009
17-01-09, 23:18
Hi - I suffered with exactly the same thing during both my pregnancies and still even now just the mention of BP taking whips me into a frenzy!!!! I have a machine at home but can't even look at it without getting stressed!! I remember when I went into the hospital to have my first it went through the roof..... but all was absolutely fine........and I am sure you will be too!!! Once when I went it was 170/110.....admittedly I had whipped myself up into an absolute frenzy regarding rib pain I was experiencing but doc told me to go home and come back 2 days later - it was then 120/74!!!! Anxiety and stress can cause it to rise but when pregnant they also check other things like protein in your urine etc to get a full picture. You have done the right thing by talking to the midwife about how you feel!!

Emaa
18-01-09, 01:09
I do! I'm 22 weeks pregnant and I'm terrified of my midwife checking my bp and taking my bloods.

My blood pressures been fine at every appointment but it still terrifies me, I know with my anxiety, pregnancy has made it alot worse. Did this happen to you?

I think most people on here can relate to feeling like they're going mad lol. Just part of anxiety I guess :/

Congrats btw ^^ x