PDA

View Full Version : Hello. Any help would be welcome.

S.Ruggle
19-01-09, 01:40
I'm a student, generally stressed out most of the time and suffering some low self-esteem issues.

I haven't been feeling too good for a while now. I'd been "normal", but almost permanently stressed out, unable to relax or slow my mind down. I'm sure that the stress from different parts of my life just got too much for me, and it came to a head when I was walking along my block back home. All of a sudden I was overwhelmed by a feeling of absolute terror and panic, as well as a sense of disorientation, like I wasn't really there. Made it home, tried to relax and five hours later at 3am, strolled to the hospital as I really didn't know what else to do.

Obviously they treated it as a panic attack and calmed me down, and sent me on. But ever since then I haven't been able to shake these occassional waves of panic and unreality. I might go a few days without feeling really rough, but then I'll catch myself feeling good and that will almost destroy all of the progress I've made.

I'm not so sure what caused it, doctors suggested depression but I'm not depressed, I'm a pretty happy and content person. I dunno. I'm kinda just looking for some advice, a bit of help to make myself feel better, and a bit of reassurance. Perhaps it was just the culmination of years of quite intense stress and low self esteem and confidence, but I can't pinpoint it.

I do know it's ruining my life, and I don't know what to do about it. Near constant anxiety, occassional waves of unreality, and a constant worry that I am losing my mind are some of the problems I am struggling to deal with. I am concerned mainly that I am going to feel bad and out of control now, and in the future, and that it's going to ruin my life.

It's a bit of a long read, and I'm sure there's plenty of information on this site that could help, but I'm sure everyone knows, when its your own experiences and you're feeling like you're the only one in this position, its hard to take a back seat and look at it separately from yourself.

Any advice would be most appreciated, even if it's just to let me know that I'm "hopefully" not going mental.

Cheers.

Suze

Veronica H
19-01-09, 05:52
:welcome: to NMP and no you are not going mental.You will find great information and advice here. You can also post on here or talk to people in the chat room. There is a great book by Dr Claire Weekes called 'Self Help For Your Nerves' available from the NMP shop which really explains what is happening to us and how we can recover. There are also free downloads of Dr Weekes to your MP3, available in the shop . Things will get better.

Veronica

spaced
19-01-09, 07:16
:welcome: hi and welcome to NMP:)

Dominic1975
19-01-09, 07:47
Welcome yo nmp...... you will find everyone supportive and understanding.....

weeble40
19-01-09, 09:39
Hi and a big welcome to NMP its great to have you here, hope to see you in chat sometime,

Take care

Emma xxx

Martin Ell
19-01-09, 09:52
Hi, and welcome to No More Panic! :)

As a 20 year old, although I'm not a student anymore, I know that being a student can be stressful, and stress is one of the contributing factors in anxiety. The symptoms you've listed are classic of anxiety/panic - most people with anxiety are feeling or have felt how you feel now, so don't worry you're not alone. Also, you're not losing your mind or going mental, so stop worrying about that either.

The good news is that, although you might not be able to see a good future right now, anxiety can be dealt with to the point of leading a normal, happy life. Sometimes just knowing that other people are going through what you are and talking to them about it can help.

Good luck.

Patty
19-01-09, 12:55
Hi Suze, :)

:welcome: to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here.

Best wishes :flowers:

sunshine-lady
19-01-09, 14:24
Hi and:welcome: to NMP, pleased you found us. I'm sure you will like it here as there is so much advice, information and support. Please remember you aren't alone.

chat is fun too and a great place to make new friends:biggrin: