PDA

View Full Version : Social anxiety disorder/Depression

C-47
19-01-09, 22:48
Hey, I just thought I'd tell my story. It's great that there is so much support from really nice people here. I appreciate any help and opinions of people who can relate to the following,
I have suffered from SAD all my life and depression for probably about the same amount of time. My depression is mainly as a result of the severe SAD.
I was bullied throughout school. I find it difficult to make friends, have never found a partner and feel as if I never will most of the time. I get so nervous around people, when people watch me doing things, like talking, writing etc. I worry about things alot. I tremble, my heart throbs and I can't speak properly when I get nervous. I don't know what to say to people. I have all the symptoms of SAD and most of the symptoms of depression. I am terrified around women and this is the most depressing part. At times I feel like ending it all when my depression becomes really intense. I wouldn't though because I'm afraid to die and people would be really hurt if I did something like that. I guess a tiny part of me believes I will have a successful future, nice home, kids and soulmate, I dream about having that.
I'm 20 now and for my whole life I have kept all my problems to myself. It is affecting my college work so badly cause I'm always tired and can't concentrate. The best decision I ever made was to seek help which was 2 months ago. I have started seeing a counsellor in college, taking antidressants and going to a depression support group. I don't know what I'd be like if I still hadn't used their help. I really appreciate them and would advice anyone else to take advantage of them if they can get them.
Unfortunately I am still very depressed but slightly better, I have no problem talking about my feelings and problems to the people supporting me. I'm really worried that I will never be able to have conversations with women though and nobody will be interested in me. I know theres someone out there for everyone but I still feel so sad that my soulmate might have passed me by. Thanks for reading this, I know I have alot to be greatful for and that I have been given alot in life but its hard to see things like that when you are so upset. I hope things get better this year, not just for me but for you too. I'd love to be able to help people with SAD and depression when I'm better. I guess you learn how to respect people with problems when your having your own ones yourself. If only the stigma could be removed from mental health problems.

Patty
20-01-09, 00:34
Hi C-47, :)

:welcome: to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here.

I also have social anxiety and can so relate to you when you say:

I get so nervous around people, when people watch me doing things, like talking, writing etc. I worry about things alot. I tremble, my heart throbs and I can't speak properly when I get nervous. I don't know what to say to people.

It's great that you're going to counselling & the support group. I have been thinking about doing one or both of these now for a while now.

Best wishes :)

spaced
20-01-09, 02:51
:welcome: hi and welcome to NMP:)

weeble40
20-01-09, 19:58
Hi and a big welcome to NMP its great to have you here, hope to see you in chat sometime,

Take care

Emma xxx

C-47
22-01-09, 10:37
Hey thanks for the warm welcomes. I definately think counselling/groups will help you Patty. They make me feel alot better and I don't know where Id be without them. I hope you get all the help you need for you social anxiety too.
I was just wondering if anyone has ever had such bad SAD that they felt suicidal at times. The support I have now has stopped me feeling like that as much but its still really worrying. I feel as if I can't live my life properly and I am so terrified approaching women.

sunshine-lady
22-01-09, 23:39
Hi and:welcome: to NMP, pleased you found us. I'm sure you will like it here as there is so much advice, information and support. Remember you are never alone.

chat is fun too and a great place to make new friends:biggrin: