PDA

View Full Version : Exercise & BP under control

angieb
08-07-05, 17:51
Hiya all

Just thought I would share some good news, I am finally able to exercise again without fear of dropping dead of a heart attack. Managed 40 mins on my exercise bike today:D Never thought i'd be comfortable in that zone again.

Little high BP tale too, the last 4 times I have had my BP taken (three times during or just after a panic attac) and once by a friend nurse it has beet rocket high 185/105 on Monday morning - now obviously it does not take a rocket scientist to work out that if it was really this high for the past six months I probably would not be a well bunny at all!!!

So Monday morning bought my own home BP monitor and have taken my BP three times a day at different times including straight after exercise and do you know what - absolutely NORMAL!!! a comfortable average of 132/81!!!! Granted not 120/80 but neither am I 18 anymore, so pretty happy really [^] I have worried about my BP for six months each time taken by a doctor or nurse getting higher and higher, my friend who took it on Monday said she actually felt my adrelin kick in as she put the cuff on me...weird or what, true white coat hypertension!!!!

If anybody else is really struggling with this I would highly recommend buying a monitor, £65 very well spent to ease six months worth of worry.

Take care all.

Angie

seh1980
08-07-05, 18:54
Great news Angie!! Keep it up :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

nomorepanic
08-07-05, 19:53
Angie

Did you see my other post about this?

Blood Pressure Monitoring at Home (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4218)

I am pleased that you have now been reassured that all is ok. Mine is sky high at the docs as well!

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

pips
08-07-05, 20:57
Hi Angie,

So pleased for you. Well Done hun.

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

angieb
08-07-05, 21:44
Thanks for the support as always guys [^]

Nic, why do you take BP medication if your high BP is white coat hypertion too? Just interested really, hope you don't mind me asking.

My BP monitor says use left arm preferably but right arm is OK too?

I am just thrilled that mine in in the "normal" range. I still have a stone to lose and with my added exercise I hope to get mine right down in the coming months.

Take care peeps...Angie

nomorepanic
08-07-05, 22:10
Angie

It was consistently over 90 for over a year so they decided to put me on meds. I am sure if I lose the weight it will come down a lot.

I will try and suggest it when i lose this damn weight, but mine has been high for years and years now.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Meg
08-07-05, 22:52
L arm is nearer the aorta so record the pressures most indicative of the true heart pressures.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

angieb
09-07-05, 08:50
I know what you mean Nic, I have been three stone overweight for 5 years, have shifted two since Feb (back in my jeans [^]) but still a stone to get me down to 9.5 stones ideal for my 5ft4 frame.

It is a seriously hard slog though, giving up the booze is helping (had a couple of glasses last night, first in over two weeks and had a rubbish sleep so am not bothered about having anymore!)

Take care for now.

Angie

Meg
09-07-05, 10:00
You've done really well on cutting out alcohol Angie as well as all of the rest of your progress !!

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

angieb
09-07-05, 10:47
:D Thanks Meg

It's funny, when I first gave the vino I fely a bit deprived, like one of my great pleasures had been taken away however after having my first rubbish nights sleep in two weeks I have chosen not to have any vino at home this weekend, I was looking forward to a chinese tonight and sharing abottle with Rob but I really don't want any now...amazing.

It is now 100% my choice, if I want some I will have some - but at the moment I really don't, so it no longers feels like a hardship...does that make any sense?

Onwards and upwards eh team!!!!!!

Piglet
09-07-05, 12:08
Hi Angie,

Can totally relate to the white coat syndrome (replied to Nic's post on the very same thing).

Just like you it was really reassuring to go from 145/95 at the doctors and then find after a few hours at home and not feeling scared anymore it went down to 130/85 and then sometimes I did actually get to 120/75.

The nurse at my doctors was really lovely and gave me the moniter to bring home (they have a few spares) for a few days.

My mum has been on bp tablets since she was 35 (she's now 75) and since she too suffers with anxiety I wonder now if in the early days it was more due to nerves than anything else.

Love Piglet

angieb
09-07-05, 17:41
Hello Piglet

WOW - 40 years on BP tablets, goes to show it is not the end of the world even if you diagnosed with real Hypertension!!!!!

I make a real effort to relax now too, I have not read a book for about ten years, loads of magazines because you can just read quick bits on the go - I am now reading a book every couple of days when cycling away on my exercise bike.

It is not until I have made myself slow right down that I realise at just what a manic pace I was living my life. I am 95% there now, still the odd health anxiety with my tummy but grabbing everything else by the B!xls and enjoying my life again [^]

It really does get better if you allow it too.

Thanks everyone ...Angie x