PDA

View Full Version : Constant anxiety

purejayne
21-01-09, 14:52
Hi everyone - I'm new here. I'm glad I came across this site.

Back in 2001 I had thyroid cancer which resulted in the removal of my thyroid gland. I have been on medication since and go for regular check ups at the hospital. It terrified me at the time but luckily I had a fantastic Consultant.

During one of my check up's my consultant noticed a swelling in my left parotid salivary gland in my cheek. He referred me to a maxillofacial consultant. They have done an mri scan on the lump which has revealed a mass of diseased tissue. I've also had a sialogram and a biopsy which revealed inflamed tissue. The consultant says he is unsure as to a diagnosis.

The reason why I am writing is that I have got myself into an absolute terrible state of anxiety over all this. Every time I have an appointment with the consultant I just go totally sick to my stomach, even though the mri scan has revealed nothing sinister. I've got it into my head that there is something malignant in there. The consultant now wants me to have the gland removed and I'm terrified once they remove it something awful will be found in there.

I think this is all because I had the thyroid cancer and its brought everything back to me. My life is a total misery at the moment because its in the back of my mind. Can someone reassure me that if there was something sinister in there it would have shown up on the mri scan? I think I just need enough people to convince me I am absolutely normal for feeling like this. Thank you so much.

Henry1234
21-01-09, 15:05
Hi Jayne

Yes you are normal!!!

you might have read I had a pituarity tumor and hemorrage last July and since then have been to Casualty 32 times with worries - so much so even the cleaners and office staff know me - they are going to have me in next week for 3 days for more tests etc

Like you I have had CT and MRI scans and STILL think they have missed something

Dont feel worried that you feel the way you do - many doctors have told me it is normal - we have had life threatening illnesses and so are bound to worry

I am embarking on CBT - to try and help how I react to my symptoms etc

Again please dont worry you are 100% normal in this

Mark

Utility
21-01-09, 23:06
Hi

The main point is nothing sinister showed up in the scan and that is the big positive you must focus on. I know it can be difficult not to focus on the "what ifs" and the "something has been missed " worries, but you must try.

Just because you had thyroid cancer in the past does not mean that you are an automatic candidate for everything else.

It is human nature to worry about things, but at the same time that worry can get the logical thinking side of things out of balance. I was convinced for about a year that I was going to drop down dead at any moment beacuse of various pains I experienced. After refocusing my train of thought this perception vanished. I still get the physical pains but they no longer worry me because I accepted them as anxiety.

You will be fine.

Dominic1975
21-01-09, 23:13
I hope you feel better soon
you cant help worrying, that is only natural after what you been through.... but if the tests have been done and not shown anything up you will be fine

june
22-01-09, 10:51
:hugs: :hugs:
can't help but send a few hugs

I do understand the fears and the what if's? - they ruin our lives:weep:
Best wishes
june

purejayne
22-01-09, 12:09
Thank you so much everyone - I do honestly feel a lot better now - I feel so awful as there are as lot more people worse off than myself. Its so much better discussing it with others then you can try and convince yourself that you're not going mad. I will update at my next appointment in two weeks time. :hugs: