PDA

View Full Version : Emetophobia

Diz.
21-01-09, 21:03
Hey. I'm new, my name is Diz.
I was looking around the forums a bit and I was amazed to see how many other people here are emetophobic.
I think my emetophoiba started when I was about 7 and I had tonsilitis. I lost my appetite and felt s*** all the time. Since then I completely lost my appetite for food and have had a fear of being s***.
I do anything I can to stop myself, I chew mint gum, eat breath mints, run my wrists under water...anything really. I also don't like going to school feeling s***, so the night before school I make sure I'm hungry and I starve myself until I get home.
It has been causing me to have panic attacks and I also have extreme anxiety and depression. This has been getting in the way of my school work, and I constantly have to sit my doors so I can get out if I need to. I also can't be in an exam hall when I take my exams, but I need to be put in a seperate room with an examinor incase I panic or something.
I was just wondering if anyone has any techniques to stop nausea or something, because even when I feel hungry, I'm convinced I'm going to be s***.
Ah that feels good to get out, I haven't told anyone.
Thank you :)

tm_edinburgh
21-01-09, 23:07
Hi
hope you find some support on here. I was surprised how many people suffer the same condition, I think you'll find its the most common phobia on here.
Take care of yourself :shades:
T

andie73
21-01-09, 23:15
HI

I have emetophobia, I have had it about twenty years. I also suck mints to stop myself feeling sick. However I wouldn't not eat so that my stomach was emtpy as this can make you feel sick and dizzy. It will also make you very shakey and weak. You need to eat, food will NOT make you sick. If you were ill, for instance with a bug, you would be sick whether you had eaten or not, so please don't deny yourself food thinking it will stop you being sick.

It is an extremely common phobia and one I wish I just didn't have. I am going to hypnotherapy on Friday as I am now pregnant and terrified of being sick. However I do remember the times I have been sick ( I can remember them all) and it wasn't really that bad. You just kind of cope, it's over fery quickly and you usually feel much better afterwards. Can't believe I just wrote that!!!!

You will make lots of friends on here many of whom have the same phobia.

tryingtocope
22-01-09, 09:44
The stupid thing i have with my emetophobia is obviously i dont like sick, and dont want to be sick, but i have thoughts at he back of my mind that if i was sick i would choke and not be able to breathe. Or dosnt the water splash back in your face? Is this just me? I probably sound really over dramatic!

I think emetophobia is the 3rd most common phobia, or so ive heard.

Ive been emetophobic for 15 years, its wierd because although i had this phobia, for 14 years it didnt bother me unless someone was ill, then i would do everything i could to keep away from them, but generally it didnt bother me too much. In the last year or so, because of my anxiety, ive been feeling sick all the time, even though i know that im not ill. Its driving me mad!

Ellie25
22-01-09, 15:30
Hiya Diz.....

welcome to NMP. You are in good company here and will meet some great people. I too am severely emetophobic and have been for many years.

Peppermints, ginger biscuits and lemon and ginger tea are some of the things I try.

Keep in touch.....and keep talking!

Ellie
xx

mvasquez
22-04-09, 05:14
Hi,
I am new to this forum, and I am very thankful that I have found it. I have been suffering from Emetophobia for a while now. They say it is caused from something that happened to you between the ages of 6 and 12 that involved vomiting. This has happened to me. I was extremely sick in my classroom in 3rd grade and vomited all over the girl in front of me. I was made fun of, and ever since then I am terrified of vomiting. I am now 25 years old, and I am still suffering, however it is a lot worse then it has ever been. My dr. has prescribed Xanex to take when I am traveling, or going to the store etc. I was told not to take it every day because it can become addictive. I am to the point where this phobia is taking over my life. I cannot go anywhere without thinking "what would I do or where would I go if I got sick?" I have a very hard time going to public places. I hate to be homebound, but this phobia has put me here. I get so frustrated that I talk myself into feeling like I have the flu, stomach ache, etc. I was around some people this past weekend, and they now have the stomach flu. I am terrified of getting it. The fact that I might get it sends me into a panic attack. I have a hard time falling asleep at night, for the mere fact that I might wake up in the middle of the night sick. I am at my wits end, and I am hoping that anyone has any words of wisdom for me. Thanks!

mumof4
22-04-09, 10:44
hi

i have had emtophobia since i was 11 im 30 now very long time it sends me into panic it is horribale thing to have when my kids are ill i want to run away and hide it scares me so much.

i aslo have safe foods which i eat i dont try anything new dont like spicy food and i dont drink acholl.

but u do have to eat though i went through a period of my life a few years ago where i didnt eat only survied on toast and boy it made me worse i used have really bad stomoach cramps with not eating i also lost so much weight ended up 6 stone.

now i try to eat every few hours and u do feel better if u cant manage anything big my doctor advised to eat small meals frequent as it stops the horriabe full up feeling.

there is help out there for it i have been to councelling and ur doctor can give u tablets to stop u feeling sickish aswell.

all the best u will get loads of advice here and help

Cat80
22-04-09, 15:40
I've had emetophobia severely for just over 2 years (same time my anxiety was diagnosed). I feel sick a lot because of my anxiety and take metoclopramide from my Dr which helps a lot (been taking for just over a year now). Started taking it because I had a Take That concert to go to and was scared of being away from home for 8 hours but the tablets really helped. I've also just started taking Magnolia and Rhodiola complex (natural remedy for anxiety and also Magnolia helps nausea). Only been on it for nearly a week and for the last 3 days I haven't took one anti nausea tablet, they seem to be really helping me with that and not focusing on feeling sick all the time.

It is a horrible phobia and a completely unrational one which makes it even works to control. I mean how likely how are we to be sick in our lives, not many but that doesn't help the phobia does it? I find myself arguing with myself (in my head not out loud lol) and saying don't be silly when I feel anxious and sick because I know I've never been sick due to anxiety, doesn't help though.

When my anxiety first started a couple of years ago I wasn't eating breakfast then living on toast for lunch and tea, I lost 2 stone in 9 months (I was only a size 12 to start with). Since going on the metoclopramide I now eat much more but I have to cook everything I eat so I know it's safe and I always overcook meat etc

If you want to chat we are all here :)

Kim30
03-05-09, 20:27
Hello everyone.
I cant beleive im not alone, anyone i have ever told about my fear thinks im mad.
I am absolutely petrified of being sick, it controls my life. I have a panic attack nearly everytime after i've eaten, i carry a plastic bag around with me wherever i go.
Its really getting me down now, i just feel useless & scared.
Thank you for making me realise im not alone anymore x

Yarnee14
03-05-09, 22:38
My pregancy was hard because of my emetophobia. Still no one knows that I have it.

I think anti nausea remedies are fine, but we all need to distinguish whether we can control our sicknesses or not. I believe the human body is very smart and if you have to p***, you will and you may feel better afterward.

D3NIS3
03-05-09, 23:10
hiya

well now i know what the term for what i have is called i feel better i have it that bad that i go to the docs and get anti sickness tablets just so im not sick i have always been worried about being sick but now all my kids are in school they pick up bugs so easy that if 1 of them are sick i spend days not eating incase i pick it up or i pop a anti sickness pill i really thought i was going out my mind but being able to talk about it helps my partner doesnt understand so its like talkin to a brick wall lol

Yarnee14
04-05-09, 17:24
Hi,

I'm also a mother and an emetophobe. I haven't told my partner about my problem either and I'm scared. Any suggestions?

Yarnee

Little Miss Kizzy
06-05-09, 20:41
HI

I have emetophobia, I have had it about twenty years. I also suck mints to stop myself feeling sick. However I wouldn't not eat so that my stomach was emtpy as this can make you feel sick and dizzy. It will also make you very shakey and weak. You need to eat, food will NOT make you sick. If you were ill, for instance with a bug, you would be sick whether you had eaten or not, so please don't deny yourself food thinking it will stop you being sick.

It is an extremely common phobia and one I wish I just didn't have. I am going to hypnotherapy on Friday as I am now pregnant and terrified of being sick. However I do remember the times I have been sick ( I can remember them all) and it wasn't really that bad. You just kind of cope, it's over fery quickly and you usually feel much better afterwards. Can't believe I just wrote that!!!!

You will make lots of friends on here many of whom have the same phobia.

Hi
I'm new on here & was just reading your bit about being pregnant :) I would love to be pregnant (now 33 years old) but I'm really scared about sickness in me & the baby when they get older & catch things from school :mad: any tips or advise as I feel I'm not getting any younger & tend to put a lot of pressure on myself that I will soon have to make that big decision some time :mad:

D3NIS3
06-05-09, 21:15
i have had this for many years and i have 3 kids i was never sick once with any of them i felt it very bad but i got on ginger tablets and took anything herbal that i could yes they get bugs and are even sick but the love for the child takes over and trust me im so bad for being scared to death but when my kids are ill even if i am scared im there for them holding the bowl and thats just coz i love i feel for them