PDA

View Full Version : I did it!

Lilith
15-12-03, 14:17
My husband and I went Christmas shopping yesterday. There was a bad snow storm, so the roads were terrible and traffic moved very slowly. Plus, there was a tie up because of an accident. I was a wreck, as you can imagine. I got a little panicky, but switched the radio from Christmas tunes to all talk, and asked my husband to start chatting about anything. I had to ask him NOT to say, "Just take a deep breath..." Talking about breathing just makes it harder to breathe. The drive wasn't fun, but I lived through it.

The stores were crowded despite the storm, but I stayed, and I even bought things! (A big deal for me, lol. I usually run out empty-handed.)

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement. I am going to try to do some small, scary thing every day. (I'm breathing hard as I type this, lol.)

Laurie28
15-12-03, 14:23
That's brilliant Lilith. i think though that should definetly be in success stories!!

Excellent

Love
lucky

Meg
15-12-03, 14:48
Fantastic Lilieth.
You're well on the way to recovery now.

Well done for puting yourself through it and overcoming it !!

Excellent news- definately for the success topic instead or as well.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Lottie32
15-12-03, 15:13
Dear Lilith

Well done for going shopping (give me the internet and a credit card any time)

Keep on moving ever upwards - just remember not to push yourself too hard, and if you have a bit of a wibble, don't be too hard on yourself, just ignore it, and start again the next day.

Keep up the hard work. We're all proud of you

Charlie

Lilith
15-12-03, 15:28
My "success" doesn't seem quite as shiny as it did when I posted that, because I realize now that I did those things, but my husband was with me. And I had Xanax in my purse. When will I be able to do something like that alone, without drugs handy?

benoo5
15-12-03, 15:30
great news lileth,

a real success...little steps...is the secret..bryan.

Lottie32
15-12-03, 16:25
Lileth

Whats better? To not be able to go shopping at all, or to be able to go shopping with your husband. To have to take medication, or to have the comfort of knowing that your medication is at hand if you need it?

You did very well. It is only be taking these small steps and working on them that you will soon be able to go shopping with your hubby, and without the medication.

Don't be so hard on yourself babe - you've done fantastically well.

I can only cope with Xmas shopping by going on my own at the beginning of November. There is no way I could have gone this weekend.

Be proud of your achievement.

We are

Charlie

stimpy
15-12-03, 17:53
Don't be so hard on yourself hun - that was fantastic you did very very well!
What a great achievement.

Lilith
15-12-03, 18:15
You guys are making me cry. :) You're right, of course....little steps. I'm a slow learner, lol. I suppose if I'd thought I had to throw out my Xanax, get in the car alone, and do the Christmas shopping all by myself, I never would have gotten out the door. I did something else just now! I had to clear up some insurance confusion with the dentist's office. I have become so terrified of the dentist that I was even afraid to call to give them my insurance number. I made the phone call just now. I had to put them on hold for a moment while I opened the window for some fresh air because I felt myself getting a little dizzy and lightheaded and the numbers on the paper went a little blurry, but I made the call. I'll worry about an appointment and a checkup later. Little steps.

Meg
15-12-03, 19:20
because I realize now that I did those things, but my husband was with me. And I had Xanax in my purse.

So what !!! you went where you wouldn't have done at all just a couple of weeks ago. On eday you'll realize you didn't remember to pick up your out of date Xanax and you'll be fine.

I knew I'd cracked it when I started forgetting to take my mobile phone out locally and all was well when discovered that it was missing when I wanted to use it to ask a neighbour what sort of bread she'd asked me to get her whilst I was out !! I just laughed - wanted to whoop with joy but didn't .

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

uryjm
15-12-03, 20:11
Even a journey of a thousand miles begins with one small step.....as Meg says, mind your thoughts, and talk yourself up about what you achieved. Those of us (probably all of us on this board!) know just how hard your trip was. Having your husband with you I'd count as extra pressure. I hate when I know my wife knows I'm feeling panicky, as it reinforces that I'm panicky, even 'though she won't say! So well done.

Jim

nomorepanic
15-12-03, 21:02
Well done Lilith

As Meg says we all need something as a "comfort blanket". You had your husband - so what - I take my mobile everywhere with me so I call for help if I need it.

Don't beat yourself up over it - you did it and that is what counts.

Now go on and do some more to reinforce the feelings of success.

Nicola

Laurie28
17-12-03, 13:13
Lillith,

As i said before i think you done fantastic.
Pls don't put yourself down or think you done any less because your hubby was there

As you said if you thought u had to do it alone without any aids you wouldn't have

Well done Lillith

Love
lucky