PDA

View Full Version : I survived a night at the cinema!

tryingtocope
23-01-09, 08:46
Most girls probably wish that their boyfriends took them out more, well mine tries to take me out all the time, resturants, cinema etc, i wish he wouldn't, i hate it!

Well last night he really wanted to take me out (probably thinking i would want to go, he dosnt know about my panic attacks) and decided on the cinema. After sitting reading this site all day i decided to just go. I know that to get over my fears, i should go to the places that make me panic and just put up with it, and eventually they will go. Thats the theory anyway :wacko:

So i decided i was going to go, and if i panicked, well i would have to sit it out. I was so nervous thinking about it and in the car going there. Once we'd parked up i started getting dizzy, throat closing etc, thinking 'oh no, here we go!' Im pleased to say i didnt have a panic attack, (you know when you're so nervous you're on the verge of an attack but not quite having one yet? :scared15:) And actually once i had calmed down, i really enjoyed it! It's a good job i did, because he wants to go back next week.

So iv'e decided that im just going to take things on step at a time, and gradually make myself do things that im terrified of. I hope this will work, i know i dont want to end up house bound and that's the way it looked like it was going.

If anyones still reading this :blush: wish me luck! x

Wenjoy
23-01-09, 10:16
Hey well done!!! Like you I am just going to the things hubby wants to take me to like restaurants, cinema etc and I even booked theatre tickets for march - I reckon if Im going to panic - so what - theres a 50/50 chance I could panic but I probably wont and Id miss out on life - Im fed up missing out on all the fun things people do - life is short - whats the worst that can happen >? - ok if I panic I sit it out or leave my seat and pop out to the loo - the key thing is to get on with it - so well done you!!! Keep at it!!!
What film did you see?? hubby wants to see Slumdog millionaire next week at the cinema.
Wenjoy x

tm_edinburgh
23-01-09, 10:25
well done, and an extra well done because you BF doesnt know about them too which I find adds more pressure.
small steps

Veronica H
23-01-09, 10:31
:yesyes: well done to you, and keep going out as that is the key to recovery.

Veronica

tryingtocope
23-01-09, 15:28
Thanks for all your support, it really helps! :yesyes:

We went to see defiance, didnt think it would be my type of film, but i had a good time, i think it was more that fact that i felt ok, i could have been watching anything and wouldn't care. I even managed some popcorn :yahoo:

The thing is because im emetophobic aswell, when i start panicking it makes me feel sick, so i panic more and it goes into a massive spiral like that.

Ive got an appointment at the docs next week too, so hopefull he can give me something to take the edge off it, and it'll be easier to get back into the swing of going out again. I havn't managed eating out yet, i can't really face looking at food when i get panicky.

Ive just got to the point where im sick and tired of being stuck in doors when everyone else is having fun. Im not even bothered about being whereever i am, i panic because im scared incase i havea panic attack, so inevitably i have one!
Which when you think about it, is rather ridiculous really! I figure the longer i go on staying indoors, the harder it'll be to get my life back on track, so im trying to sort it out now.

Wenjoy, I hope you have a good time if you go next week, you'll have to let me know if it's good, i might even go see it myself lol.

Martin Ell
23-01-09, 15:43
Most sincere congratulations! :) That almost euphoric feeling you get when you've faced something you fear and came out the other end is great, isn't it? My bet is, next time, you'll be a lot calmer, and soon you'll be able to go to the cinema without any anxiety what-so-ever - you're well on the road to recovery!

You're a very brave woman for doing that, so be very pleased with yourself. I'm sure lots of panic sufferers (myself included) will find your post quite inspirational.

tryingtocope
23-01-09, 16:07
Thank you! Yeah, well thats what i'm hoping for anyway.

To be honest i'm feeling rather smug that i managed to beat it, even if it is for only for one night :)

Wenjoy
23-01-09, 16:49
Well done! will let you know if we go to the cinema. I think its the fear of having the fear - viscious circle - thats worse so you create it all and blow it all up huge in your mind when really the event itself is fine its our imagination - it shows how creative us lot on this site are!! Wenjoy x

valleybear
23-01-09, 23:03
Well done on managing the cinema. That used to be one of my no-go places ...that and the theatre. I manage OK now and did it by sitting in aisle seats and telling myself that if I wanted to I could and would just stand up and walk out.... which I did once or twice but in the end the fear went away and I managed too. So pleased for you.

HighwayMiles
23-01-09, 23:16
Well done!!! :yesyes:

Wenjoy
24-01-09, 10:44
Yep - I ALWAYs sit in an aisle seat near the back so no one can see me if I do get up - I think half the problem is worrying what others think ofyou!! Wenjoy x

shortstuff
24-01-09, 23:56
Wow! Well done - I wish I was that brave. Last time I went out with friends was May, and even then it took me about 12 attempts to get to restaurant - and it was just for tea!!!

I think you deserve to treat yourself now:yesyes:

Nic

Calmcat
25-01-09, 00:11
Well done you, I hate the cinema, it is always too hot and being hot is a big panic trigger for me. A tip- sit on the end of a row so you don't feel so enclosed, it helps alot. Also try researching little privately owned cinemas locally, there is one near me where there are groups of tables with 4 recliner swivel chairs on the main floor so it is like being in your sitting room and not so crowded.

Insomniac
25-01-09, 13:16
Well done! Its not easy doing something challenging like that, especially when your BF doesn't know about your anxiety.

hold of to that feeling of exhilaration next time you feel a challenge, and remember that you have beaten it before! :yahoo:

sunshine-lady
25-01-09, 19:26
Well done! :yesyes:

You should be very proud of yourself and to think about going back next week just shows that you are a lot stronger than you thought :yahoo:
take care xxx