PDA

View Full Version : help oesophegal cancer scare!!!!!

alyb24
23-01-09, 09:51
Im 24 and have been having problems with my stomach for the last 6 months. It started with constant nausea, then feeling full when id only ate a tiny amount, occasional heartburn and indigestion. My doctor sent me for tests and turned out I had H pylori. I took my meds as told but the symptoms soon returned so he sent me for an endoscopy. The results of that were that i had oesophegitis, and a small hiatus hernia and once again H pylori was still there. I was prescribed a PPI and more antibiotics for the h pylori and everything seemed to start sorting itself out... untill now! That was november, now I am ill with worry as I have serious problems swallowing. It feels as though something is stuck in my throat/ behind breast bone (although its hard to actually pin point the exact place). Even when im not eating I can feel something there causing an obstruction. Now I am petfrified of eating because its so uncomfortable. Everytime I type in these symptoms oesophegal cancer comes up straight away and im so scared. I have made an appoinment with my doc but can only get one next fri! Thats a week away!!!!! Im ill thinking the worst because I just cant find any other explaination as to what it could be other than the dreaded C word!!!
Im 24 with a 3 year old son and so scared im gonna die :weep:, Any info and advice on this wold be great xx

House fan
23-01-09, 10:00
Hi Alyb24

Sorry to hear about your problems and anxieties, I can tell that you are very frightened at the moment. Can I ask, did the doctors treat the Hiatus at the time?

House.

alyb24
23-01-09, 10:16
No, well they just gave me some meds and said that should work. take them for a month, then tey just gave me fact sheets on what to eat and what not to eat etc etc. Im beside myself. I dare not go on the scales incase ive lost wieght which I think I have, as this is another major symptom!

House fan
23-01-09, 10:47
Firstly, you do not have oesophageal Cancer. This would have revealed itself during the tests. When we are anxious, we want answers to our symptoms... and we want them fast! Googling our symptoms is the quickest way to solve our problems, right? When was the last time you googled your 'symptoms' and then breathed a huge sigh of relief when the 'answers' came up? Never, I suspect, and yet we choose to do it anyway, always making ourselves feel worse afterwards.

Your symptoms fit perfectly with both anxiety and Hiatus hernia. Imagine that! I would guess that it's probably a combination of the both which is causing you so much distress. Hiatus hernia's are in no way dangerous to our wellbeing, but it's very location and the symptoms it throws at us can be very alarming.

There are two types of Hiatus, but I would imagine you have probably looked them up on the internet as well. A change in diet is usually recommended, and given enough time, it can make a huge difference to our lives.

Anxiety is very likely indeed, although you probably don't want to hear that. I know someone who had a bad experience choking on his food one night, and couldn't swallow another bite of food for weeks, convinced he had a blockage in his throat. He didn't of course, but he was now so sensitized to this area of the body, that his muscles in his throat were contracting under the constant tension. Convincing him that this was the case was very difficult, and it took time for his body to become less sensitized, but once he accepted this fact, all symptoms disappeared.

I hope this helps a wee bit.

House.

jojo2316
23-01-09, 11:32
There is no way you have oesophageal cancer. Firstly it is all but unheard of in your age-group, secondly you had an endoscopy in november, which would have picked it up and thirdly the symptoms you have can be explained by anxiety or oesophegitis, which can also cause difficulty swallowing (I googled it!). Try not to worry. It really isn't cancer.
xx

Jan63
23-01-09, 12:27
I also tested positive for H pylori last September and had the triple therapy or whatever they call it that consists of two sorts of antibotics and two omeprazole a day. I asked my doctor last Friday if there is any way of knowing if the H pylori had gone but she said it would still show up as having it even if you hadn't got it once you've had it.:shrug:

I had the same problem as you last September and felt like there was something stuck in my throat and in my chest and it was acid reflux. Are you taking any medication for acid reflux like omeprazole or something similar?

JodieT
23-01-09, 13:37
Hi Alyb24

I was 26 when I started with symptoms very similar to yours. I had a 2 year old and was pregnant with my second child. I had problems swallowing and the food was sticking in my gullet. Following an endoscopy I was initially told I had oesophagitis and was prescribed medication. This didn't help and after 18 months of distress and severe weight loss I saw a doctor in London who immediately did a barium swallow (had never had one before) and I was diagnosed with achalasia, a disease of the gullet. I too had convinced myself I had cancer. I had an operation, 17 years ago now, and I have never looked back. Have you had a barium meal/swallow? My doctor in London was very angry that I had not had one when my symptoms started as I would have been treated a lot sooner but I'd put my faith in my GP and my consultant here and I never queried their diagnoses. Even when my weight dropped to 6 stone and I was told I had anorexia and post-natal depression I still believed what they were telling me. I was so lucky to find this doctor in London, who was a relative of an acquaintance, but about a year after my operation I developed health anxiety and lost my faith and trust in doctors and hospitals. Achalasia is rare apparently but it may be worth mentioning, also the barium meal. I hope you find some answers soon. Take care and keep insisting!! Jodie xx

alyb24
23-01-09, 16:37
Thanx everyone. I have just got back from the docs as I demanded I be seen today and she again said it was to do with the hiatus hernia and oesophegitis. She has gave me another prescription for a stronger dose of omeprozole and said I should take these for a month, then get repeat prescriptions for the lower dosage for a few months after that. If my symptons persist then she will refer me but she wants to try this first. I havent been offered the barium meal thing but have heard about it and if my symptoms persist I shall most definately be mentioning it. I know they are GPs and have been to uni for many years to study but cant help feeling that they are always wrong. I know cancer at my age is highly unlikely but always end up convincing myself that I could be the first!!!!!