PDA

View Full Version : Why Brain Tumours?

Purple Fish
23-01-09, 13:58
Hi There,

I have just got back from a lovely day in town with my mum and my mum met two people she knew while we were out and both of them mentioned brain tumours!
When I was at the height of my panic attacks and health anxiety I believed I had a brain tumour as I felt dizzy and light headed on and off, it was anxiety related though. I have got over this fear now however but I am intrigued to know why people seem to asume everything connected with a health issue must be a brain tumour?!
The first woman my mum met said she had been to the doctors after havin a buzzing in her ear and she thought it was a brain tumour, it turned out to be an ear infection!
The other woman was talking about her mum having an itchy scalp and thought it could be shingles or a brain tumour! Again!!
I couldn`t believe it and had to laugh to myself. I`m glad I can now as I am getting much better in coping with my anxiety. A couple of years ago I would have psycologically got the same symptoms and be googling itchy scalp and buzzing ears!!
The anxiety will give you symptoms of all sorts, that`s why I`m glad I went to the doctor`s to get my anxiety sorted out!
Take care!

Tanya xx :winks:

Trixie
23-01-09, 14:15
And here is a third person saying she does have a brain tumour.:D

amu
23-01-09, 14:16
I don't know why, but it is so true. Maybe because the media and the movies/TV shows portray brain tumours as mysterious deadly diseases that cause all sorts of weird and dramatic brain symptoms.
My first worry was a brain tumour. At that point I had no idea that I had HA, it was my very first. I had a headache, that's all, but I got so worked up, went to see a neurologist twice, cried as she didn't ask for an MRI, felt my arms going numb etc etc.
When I got over it and realised I had HA and moved on to other illnesses, I got embarrassed about the brain tumour worry as it was such a classic HA experience, the other one for me was the "difficulty swallowing must be throat cancer" classic, which I had twice despite making a fool of myself during the first time. The brain tumour obsession returned when half of my face was paralysed fro two months, but it turned out to be an inflamed nerve/Bell's palsy. Since then I decided I will NEVER worry about a brain tumour again, I "don't care" if I get it, I won't worry about having one even if I have obvious symptoms until I die of it. Anything but a brain tumour worry for a HA sufferer. Such a cliche :D
Wish I could say the same about bowel cancer....:blush:

amu
23-01-09, 14:18
Trixie, do you laugh at all brain tumour worriers? And please tell me you have a stable "healthy" non-deadly small brain tumour...

Trixie
23-01-09, 14:38
Trixie, do you laugh at all brain tumour worriers? And please tell me you have a stable "healthy" non-deadly small brain tumour...

I have a brain tumour and I have an MRI every few months I am due to see the neurosurgeon in March. I am on the Watch and Wait programme which means they will wait until I have fits or loose the use of my right hand side. Operating on my tumour would take about 8hours so they are going to hang on it is in the Falx region of the fore brain.
I have a meningioma these tumours are unpredictable as they have growth spurts.

I don't laugh at brain tumour worriers I just wish they were able to read up more about them and understand them. Someone I know had one when he was 13 he is in uni now has a girlfriend and a wonderful life. He still has to go for checkups but it is not getting him down one bit.

Apparently there are nearly a 100 different types of brain tumours

amu
23-01-09, 14:43
Do you have health anxiety as well?

Purple Fish
23-01-09, 14:48
Hey,

I`ve started something now haven`t I!?

:doh:

Trixie
23-01-09, 15:04
Do you have health anxiety as well?

No.

Trixie
23-01-09, 15:05
Hey,

I`ve started something now haven`t I!?

:doh:

Now we need a 4th person like bridge.:D

amu
23-01-09, 16:05
Trixie: :flowers: re: not having HA!

Trish
23-01-09, 16:25
My husband is on his 3rd reacurrence of a Meningioma brain tumour. The first one he had removed in 1978 and was fine after to go back to work after a month. The 2nd in 1997 was massive and he had to have major surgery 11 hours with the surgeon working hand in hand with a plastic surgeon....what was the back of his head is now the top of his head.....swivel skin graft. This left him paralysed down his left side, but with lots of help and a great deal of determination on his part he got back on his feet:yahoo: but was unable to go back to work:weep:

June 07 we found out the tumour had returned and in August that year he had what they call 'Radiosurgery' or 'stereostatic' a heavy one off blast that puts the tumour to sleep....well hopefully! He was doing really well until the November when he became paralysed again down his left side...due to a weakness there i'm sure. After 3 months in a rehab unit he was back on his feet again:yahoo:

We go on Monday 26th for the results of his latest scan....fingers crossed everyone!

So there is life after brain tumours, my husband is living proof!!:yahoo:

Trish x

Trixie
23-01-09, 16:39
My husband is on his 3rd reacurrence of a Meningioma brain tumour. The first one he had removed in 1978 and was fine after to go back to work after a month. The 2nd in 1997 was massive and he had to have major surgery 11 hours with the surgeon working hand in hand with a plastic surgeon....what was the back of his head is now the top of his head.....swivel skin graft. This left him paralysed down his left side, but with lots of help and a great deal of determination on his part he got back on his feet:yahoo: but was unable to go back to work:weep:

June 07 we found out the tumour had returned and in August that year he had what they call 'Radiosurgery' or 'stereostatic' a heavy one off blast that puts the tumour to sleep....well hopefully! He was doing really well until the November when he became paralysed again down his left side...due to a weakness there i'm sure. After 3 months in a rehab unit he was back on his feet again:yahoo:

We go on Monday 26th for the results of his latest scan....fingers crossed everyone!

So there is life after brain tumours, my husband is living proof!!:yahoo:

Trish x

:yesyes:

Trixie
23-01-09, 16:40
Trixie: :flowers: re: not having HA!

But I am anxious about my pets and I am on Cipralex for that.:)

amu
23-01-09, 16:49
Well done Trish, that's amazing!!!