PDA

View Full Version : Question for smokers out there

Andyroo
24-01-09, 05:36
Hello Latly ive been worrying about lung cancer.. i dont smoke much maybe every 2 months or so and only 1 pack... i only smoke when im really stressed out.. i have been smoking this week but have stopped now.. i have never really worried to much about my lungs untill my wife told me i was going to get lung cancer... then i started worrying i look at myself in the mirror and i seem abit pale i always have shortness of breath .. the past week my chest has felt abit weird im wondering if smoking can make you chest feel different then when your not smoking? (that may sound like a silly question) but ive been really thinking about this feeling in my chest it dosent hurt or anything... anyways the question is can smoking make your chest feel ad normal? please smokers i need your advise and past experiences be4 i really start to freek out ... im only 23 years old and i dont even smoke very aften as i said be4:weep:

LeeBee
24-01-09, 06:41
Hey Malv, good to hear from you love :), even if you are having an HA episode.

I used to smoke 'socially' in my twenties. I gave up because in my dance classes I could feel the difference between the times I was smoking and the times when I was not smoking. When I had been smoking, my chest felt heavier and sometimes I was a bit wheezy. I hated the thought that I was doing this to myself and that it was affecting something that I loved to do.

I lapsed occasionally after that but I haven't had a cigarette for a good few years now and, except for very occasional cravings, don't miss it at all.

So, yes, you will feel a difference when you smoke and when you don't. As far as your lungs are concerned, it's as though been standing by a bush fire. Your chest will feel heavier and wheezier. Poor lungs. You'd probably have to smoke 20 a day for 20 years to be in danger of lung cancer though, so stop worrying about that. I smoked when I was your age and my lungs are now sound as a bell.

Apart from your HA and general anxiety, you sound like a healthy young man. You don't need cigs. Why not take up something active? Dancing does it for me, but it might be something else for you - running, cycling, swimming, martial arts, capoeira, footy - some of these activities cost nothing and for others you can probably go to subsidised community classes. Enjoy your young body while you can!

Hope your wee boy and partner are all good :hugs:.

Andyroo
24-01-09, 06:54
LeeBee still saving the day:D you always calm me down your like my hero!
thank so much for your reply i wasnt sure if anyone was going to...
im getting ready to join a cooking class i have never been the sports type.. i was raised by Women :roflmao: ... anyways that should be good to keep my mind busy .. i dont normaly smoke its just life has been very stressful the past 2 weeks.. im done with smokes .. i havent bought anymore. its just a feel a difference and well you know how i worry:wacko: .. i should have known better.. anyways thanks for your reply leebee
:hugs:

LeeBee
24-01-09, 07:01
Cooking classes - that sounds extremely cool. I love cooking too. It's good on so many levels - it's creative, it takes you out of your thought cycles, it's enormously satisfying and you get to eat the fruits of your labour! Perfect :). Good for you.

Glad my reply helped. Let us know how you get on with the cooking classes - I'm sure your missus will be pleased too!

shotokansho
24-01-09, 21:16
I do martial arts and i am a smoker. You can certainly feel the difference, i know this from times i have managed to give up for a month or so. I can't train as good as the other guys and don't have much stamina. Smoking also sets off my anxiety because i keep thinking i'm going to die of smoking related diseases. I have patches now and a quit date, so fingers crossed it will be for good this time.

doodah
04-02-09, 16:20
Good luck with stopping smoking!!

I've just had a look at the stop smoking website and am going to send of for some free literature and hopefully some home support via email - hope I can at least set a date and get started - I've been smoking too much for too long!!:blush: