PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some help

sMINT
24-01-09, 12:31
Hey guys.
When I have a panic attack, Like most people it is caused by me worrying about the "what ifs".

What if I faint
What if I'm sick in front of everyone
What if I start freaking out.

Does anyone have any useful tips for distracting my mind when I feel a panic attack coming on? Normally I just play a game on my phone or something but that doesn't help much lol.

No matter how much I read about Panic Attacks I just cant seem to convince myself that theres nothing wrong with me :(

Thanks for all your help people :)

Dominic1975
24-01-09, 12:51
I use my phone games to distract me as well......

Try doing soem breathing exercises to control the panic attack.... If the attack come on and you cant stop it.... I would say you just need to say to yourself, if im sick then im sick.... who cares....

The moment you stop worrying about what people will be thinking, you will be probably be a lot calm.....

Sorry I can be more help

sMINT
24-01-09, 12:59
Thanks for replying. I'm going to look into some breathing exercises to try when I get another attack now, thanks.

Also to add to my first post, Ive been reading you need to allow the panic attack like you said, to stop worrying about it.

How would I go about allowing the panic attack and to just ride through it, Because whenever I get one I say to myself "so what its only a panic attack, Ive had loads" But it never works.

bel25
24-01-09, 16:04
Distraction can be a wonderful help. If it's a reasonable hour phone a friend for a chat (not about anxiety) and you'll eventually forget about it. When i was in a bad way i did this and i talked about anxiety first but it just upset me more. Then i suggested we talk about anything else n we got gossiping and chatting and i didn't even realise it had calmed me down till we'd finished on the phone. Or you could try breathing techniques or yoga- can buy yoga books (supposed to be relaxing). Or try watching a funny/happy film.
When you tell yourself there's nothing wrong with you, try using a breathing technique that works for you while you do this and (i know this sounds stupid) but smile to yourself as well. Try anything to make yourself believe it. Pm me if you need to talk.
take care
xxx

sMINT
26-01-09, 13:29
Thanks bel25 for the advice, I tried some breathing exercises yesterday whilst out on my bike to get some exercise. I started to feel ill but after doing 2 of the breathing exercises I had learnt I felt better and by doing them managed to distract myself also. Hopefully they continue to work.