PDA

View Full Version : Winding myself up about tomorrow - need advise pls

Twinkle
10-07-05, 18:57
Tomorrow we have a big meeting at work which I am not directly involved with but have organised. I have also organised a trip to Windsor Racecourse for the evening for those who attended the event during the day.
I am not participating much in the meetings during the day, however my boss has asked me to go to the races as a thank you and also to make sure everything runs smoothly.

I am really scared :(

All these horrible thoughts keep running through my head and I am trying to be positive but I am losing!

Our company is in Slough and I have organised a coach to take people to the racecourse which is about 15 mins away, however there is always so much traffic going there that others reckon it will take about an hour to get there when they leave at 5.30! My plan was to drive behind them in my car as then I will have my car there which will make me feel safer, I am then not dependant on anyone to get home. The thing is I hate traffic so much and the thought of sitting there gets me feeling anxious already. I really feel trapped when I am in traffic and avoid driving on busy roads at busy times at all costs!

The other option would be to go a bit earlier, say at about 4.30pm and get there without much of a risk of traffic. However, then I will be there on my own and although I can sit in the car I know I will be winding myself up the whole time while I am waiting for them!

I live about 20mins away from the course and I will feel trapped there as the traffic will probably be bad on the road I need to go on to get home too.

Blimey just reading back through what I am writing I can tell I am not being very positive at the moment am I!!??

Anyway, can anyone offer me any advise as to which decision to take and what to do if I lose it when I am there.

My boss does know about my issues and has been very supportive, but its not the same as having my 'safe' people around me.

I guess it would just be nice to hear from others who suffer with this telling me that I will be ok and even if I do panic it will pass.

I really don't want to panic in front of everyone there and embarass myself by fainting or making a scene in front of my colleagues.

I would appreciate any help/advise/support anyone else can give me.

Thanks.

Twinkle xx

Meg
10-07-05, 20:06
Twinkle,

If you can get there earlier then do so , give you time to ensure all is going smoothly.

The good thing about driving yourself is that you can use a cross country route is you want to and know you will get there comfortably.

You will be fine and get caught up in the activities and enjoy yourself.

**I really don't want to panic in front of everyone there and embarass myself by fainting or making a scene in front of my colleagues**
These are not even in the ballpark at all. If you do feel yuk take youself off quietly and calm down and if you've not fainted before you're not going to now.

Have a good day

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

seh1980
10-07-05, 20:13
hi Twinkle,

Just take things as slowly and calmly as possible. I'm sure that it will all go smoothly. Best of luck!!

Sarah :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

clickaway
10-07-05, 20:27
Yes, Twinkle, go around 4.30 instead - take something with you that you can enjoy whilst waiting, such as music, a book, a puzzle etc. Even phone a friend!

I know that once the event starts you won't have any problem at all. In fact, I think once you get started in the car, things will get a lot lot better.

You have done well in organising the event, and its great that you are being rewarded!

Ray

Don't wait around for other people to be happy for you. Any happiness you get you've got to make yourself.--Alice Walker

stimpy
11-07-05, 03:34
positive thinking now Twinkle !

I will have a great time.
I will leave in plenty of time so the traffic will not be an issue.

Enjoy yourself ! and back a winner for us :D

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

scoobygirl2005
11-07-05, 09:49
Hi.

Try not to worry, speak to your colleagues about it. Try to keep calm, try couting backwards from 100 or something to take your mind of things. Hope it all goes well for you, let me know how it goes for you. Keep smiling. :D

Scooby2005
x

pips
11-07-05, 11:06
I do hope all goes well Twinkle.

Good luck and stay POSITIVE hun.

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

Mcched
11-07-05, 13:08
HI Twinkle

Hope it all goes well this evening!!!

I would leave at 4:30pm, is there anyone that could drive with you to the race course that is attending the evening. Maybe take them along with you. When you get there maybe you could phone a friend or mayve phone the venue and see if there is anything that you can do to help them once you get there!!!

Good luck and have fun.

Nikki

trac67
11-07-05, 13:37
Hi Twinkle,
Hope you have a good evening hun, try to forget all your worries and have a ****** good time, you deserve it.
Take Care
Trac:D

nomorepanic
11-07-05, 19:52
Twinkle

Hope you are having a fab time and coping ok.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

henri
11-07-05, 21:33
hi twinkle,
hope it's all going/all went fine!
let us know...
henri x

Twinkle
12-07-05, 10:00
Thank you all soooooo much for all your help and advice. I actually printed off the responses and took them with me to read which really helped.

In the end I went with a colleague and kind of told him on the way, he was really supportive and even told me that he had had a panic attack before and so knew what it was like.

We managed to avoid all the traffic as we left early and sat in the sun waiting for the others.

I managed to think positively and avoided the panicy thoughts. It just goes to show that sometimes you imagine something to be really bad but it doesn't really work out that way!

I even won 20 quid so that was a result!!

Many thanks again

Twinkle xx

melanie
12-07-05, 11:30
Hi Twinkle i am so glad you had a great time it gives us all inspiration that it can be done,everyone stay positive we can do it!!!!!!![^]
mel xx

melanie

trac67
12-07-05, 11:43
Hi Twinkle,
I am glad you had a good evening Hun, i bet you feel good about yourself that you did it, and so you should.
Take Care
Trac:D

tattybear
12-07-05, 11:45
Hi Twinkle...

Im really pleased for you that it all went well...somtimes its the anticipatory anxiety which is the worst!

It mustve been good to tell your work coleague about how you feel and it mustv been a compfort to know that they too have felt the same.

Really relaly pleased that the whole thing went well..and hey £20 as well!!

Tatty B xx

Meg
12-07-05, 12:52
Thats great for your confidence Twinkle. Well done.

Now you you can take on anything and suceed..

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

clickaway
12-07-05, 14:04
Hi,

I'm so glad you opened up to your work colleague - it really shows that so many people have panic attacks, yet so often we don't like to admit it.

My boss admitted to them when he had to drive me home once I suffered at work.

Well Done on the £20 too

You can do it!

Ray

Don't wait around for other people to be happy for you. Any happiness you get you've got to make yourself.--Alice Walker

nomorepanic
12-07-05, 18:18
Twinkle

I am so pleased it went well and you talked to someone else about the panic etc.

Well done on succeeding and doing it!

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Karen
12-07-05, 18:38
Well done Twinkle. Great that you won £20 too!

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.