PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me understand the holter monitor results?!?!?

Kelly326
25-01-09, 00:30
Hi im new here and first of all let me say this is a wonderful place.
everyone is so caring of each other. It's amazing!!!!! I have been having chest flutters for 4-5 years now. I have anxiety about my health and it's taking over my life. I have 3 children and would like another but im scared now that something will happen. Anyway, I had a holter mon. done a few months ago and when I went to see the cardi. he said that everything was fine there was no arrythmia it just seems to be palps. probably due to my anxiety. I wanted to look at the test myself and it came in the mail yesterday. This is what I need help understanding it states: Average heart rate is 78 beats per min with normal heart rate variability. No sinus pauses, symptoms did not correspond to any change in heart rate or rhythum.
Now this is what I can't understand it says Rare supraventricular ectopy and isolated ventricular ectopy. Should I be worried. He said I didn't have an ectopic beat but I don't get why that would say that. Please someone help me understand.:unsure:

ItWillPass
25-01-09, 02:06
I would call the doctor, not because something is wrong, but just to better understand the results. He would HAVE to tell you if something was wrong... His job is on the line if you were results were not ok, but he told you they were. I am not sure what that means... I know 78bpm is pretty good though, my heartrate is usually in the 90s. It would be the words you didnt understand were refering to the normal palpitations. I went to the ER once with strange beats and they gave them a very official and scary sounding name, but told me that they were totally harmless. Sorry I cant be more help, but if it were me id call the doctor on Monday just to understand the results better.

Kelly326
25-01-09, 05:38
Thanks, I know they always use big words we can't understand. They should give you a copy of the test when there telling you the results so we can ask about those big words!! Thanks again for writing.

:bighug1:

RNay312
26-01-09, 03:42
Hi,
I watch heart monitors at a hospital and we don't use that specific terminology, but ventricular and supraventricular ectopy is very, very common. Ectopy is just something out of the norm or out of place, no necessarily ectopic beats. The superventricular ectopy is most likely supraventricular tachycardia (tachy means fast, literally it means fast heart rate), and that is went your heart will beat really fast for a few seconds - probably where you're feeling the palpatations. It can happen with anxiety, physical activity, even dreaming can speed up your heart. It usually lasts for a couple seconds then goes away, which is what seems to be happening to you since it said it's rare. Ventricular ectopy is probably a premature ventricular contraction, or PVC, which are also very common. It just means the bottom part of your heart (the ventricles) pump before or during the top part of your heart (the atria) for one beat, it happens to everyone on occasion, but some people can feel it. You probably also feel palpatations with a PVC.

Honestly, these two things are the most common things I see watching heart monitors, and the doctors or nurses don't get excited over it unless it lasts a long time. Your heart seems to be perfectly normal. :D

I hope this helps!
René

Kelly326
26-01-09, 14:45
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question!!!! I have had the palps. for a couple yrs now and it never bothered me now that I have 3 kids I have just developed such a fear of dying. This anxiety is driving me nuts!!!
:doh:
Everyone here is so wonderful!!!!