PDA

View Full Version : I've done so much !

stimpy
15-12-03, 17:43
You will be pleased to know that since I posted last my Husband Steve has been keeping me very very busy.[}:)]

I've been in bath and shower on my own. Actually got the nerve to start going to bed and turn off the light! (I have to admit I do wear headphones and listen to late night talk radio to keep me distracted until I fall asleep.) Been in the car 4 times, shopping 4 times, been out for walks with Steve and by myself (even if it is just to the end of the road) I've even been brave enough to play on the computer and go with Steve to collect the children from school. [8D]

A great improvement from 3 weeks ago, when I was too scared too get off the sofa and wash the dishes!

My next targets are to go and have my haircut and to telephone a taxi to take me to and from school to get the children, while Steve collects my Mum from the train station.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - and also to thank everyone for the help and support they have given me over the last few difficult months.

I wish everyone positive and happy thoughts for the coming year :D

Wishing you love, light and hugs

Liz and Steve xxx

Meg
15-12-03, 18:06
Hey Liz,

Great to hear from you and to get another sucess update today . It's been a great day for hearing from many people today.

Keep it going - slowly, slowly....

Many congratulations

Please do keep us updated .

A big hello to Brilliant husband Steve for being so incredibly actively supportive.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

diana
15-12-03, 19:29
Heya Liz,

Diana here again, I just read this post. KUDOS!!!! to you for the many accomplishments you have made and continue to make. It makes all of us here feel sooo good when we hear the success stories, we all encourage one another with our success stories, so keep them coming. Do keep posting dear, and take one day at a time, and one step at a time. Just keep moving forward at a pace that is good for you, and if you need support aside from you very supportive husband, we are here for you both. A very MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and your family, and a very positive thinking and continued success through the NEW YEAR is sent to you all.

Cheers,

Diana xxx

twister
15-12-03, 20:16
Well done Liz! Everyone seems to be doing so well at the moment - I'm definitely excited about going into a new year

Emily

nomorepanic
15-12-03, 21:10
Hi Liz

Well done.

Like Meg says take it slowly. Don't push yourself too much and then feel like a failure when it goes wrong, just relish each thing that you achieve.

I bet Steve is over the moon too isn't he?

We have had so many great success posts today that it is great to read about it.

Perhaps Xmas is the time of year for a lot of you to get better and go out and do stuff.

Happy Christmas to you too!

xx

Nicola

nomorepanic
15-12-03, 22:23
Liz

I feel really silly now cos I have only just worked out who you are lol. I read and replied to all of Steve's posts and never noticed that you had taken over and started posting for yourself. It was only when you mentioned Steve that I realised!!

You are doing so well cos we wondered if we would ever see you on here.

Great news and what an achievement

Say hi to Steve from me :-)

Nicola

sadie
15-12-03, 22:30
Hi Liz

I remember reading your story when your husband steve came on this site and I remmeber thinking how much what you were experiencing i did too. I was so frightened of going to the loo myself or for a shower etc too but gradually through the help and support from my husband i too gained confidence and gradually started to conquer some of my fears.

I feel so happy for you because it brings back so many memeories to me. You truly have coped so well and will continue to cope well because you have started the road to recovery. We are all here when you need us.

Take care of yourself.

meryy xmas and happy new year to you and your family.

sadie

stimpy
15-12-03, 22:51
Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement :D
Steve sends you all his love.
I've never seen him look so happy for ages. At One point he started to cry.
My children looked so pleased when I collected them from school.
I even put some more Christmas lights, and to think 3 weeks ago I didn't even want to look at a tree let alone cope with Christmas.

I think I'm starting to come to terms with my panic disorder and learning to deal with it rather than think about it and be miserable.

The worst thing I can do is take to my sofa and dwell on it.
Washing the dishes or going for a walk is a big step and something to be proud of.

I know now that panic is a law unto itself and the best thing to do is breathe deeply, try to remain calm, remember that although it feels nasty and it scares me, it is not going to kill me and the feelings will pass. And the more I do things the less scary they will become and one day I will be doing things my own. I may shake like a jelly and feel sick when I'm out in public or in the car, but it won't always be this way.
And if things get really bad I can always take medication to help me through the difficult times. It's not going to go away over night, but with time, a bit of bravery I can beat it. Taking medication to help me is nothing to be ashamed of, because it is helping me get control of my life.

Once again thank you all for your well wishes and remember that the smallest step is a great achievement. :D

Meg
15-12-03, 22:56
That's it Liz , you've got it exactly. Bingo !!

Just keep at it - daily - and do not let a minor set back send you running back to the sofa !!

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

kate
15-12-03, 23:34
Well done Liz! It was so nice to see you in the chat room tonight, you have come such a long way in a short time! Good on you mate!

Kate x

diana
16-12-03, 03:25
Hiya Liz,

Cheers!!!! I am sooo very happy for you, You have done soooo well so quickly. Keep at it and take one step at a time. There is no rush in recovering. You are exactly right there is no shame in taking medication to help take control of your life. The only shame is not trying to find something that works for us, to help us get a hold on this disorder. Together we will all beat this thing I know we will!!!

Love to you Liz, Steve and your family

Diana xxx

Lottie32
16-12-03, 08:58
Dear Liz and Steve

So very well done to you both.

Liz you are one brave lady, you have come so far in such a short space of time, and Steve you are such a star for being so supportive and caring (even if sometimes you maybe didn't understand). Alot of us are a bit jealous - think they broke the mould when they made him!

Liz I really hope you have a fantastic Xmas. Please remember to keep taking little steps though, and remember it's ok to have a wibble - nobody zooms up to getting better straight away. Lucky posted a One Step Forward, One Step Back post the other day, and it does seem that even those of us who are "sorted" are having a bit of a wibble over Xmas! So keep everything in perspective, and keep moving on as you are doing, you are coping so well, we are all very proud of you.

Keep a diary, and you can keep looking back at how much you have achieved. You are such a star for fighting back so well.

You have mastered the first step - admitting you have a problem, and accepting that panic is a part of you. As you have discovered, once you have admitted this you can find your own ways of dealing with it (and you have). People who haven't suffered don't understand just how hard it can be to just do simple things like wash the dishes!

I hope you have a fantastic Xmas break, and are now looking forward to next year!

Best of luck

Love

Charlie

Prettyface110
16-12-03, 13:08
Hiya Liz,
I am a new member so I don't think we've met yet but you sound like a real tough cookie!! I just wanted to say a huge WELL DONE for all your achievements in such a short space of time, you are an inspiration! One step at a time is the best strategy, each hurdle at a time and you are gaining control. You've obviously got a supportive family who love you very much, use them as your lifeline when they make you feel safer.
Hope you and your family have a great Christmas and you'll continue your fantastic progress well into the New Year!

much luv,
prettyface110

Scaredtoolong
16-12-03, 18:40
HI All,

Congratulations Liz! It is so great to read all the success stories on this site. Like yourself, I too have made great strides in overcoming this disorder and I can now SEE the light at the end of the tunnel!

Happy Happy Holidays to all!

Never Give Up Hope!!!

Hugs, Susan

benoo5
16-12-03, 18:59
liz,

you really have come on leaps,and bounds,since steve first posted,keep it up,little steps.

happy xmas to you ,and your family...bryan.

diana
17-12-03, 14:26
Hi All,

I just wanted to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!! It has been so great meeting you all, and sharing all of our experiences, and working toward overcoming this disorder together. Thank you all for your support, and grand advice, even while dealing with my teenage daughter. You all have been a blessing in my life. When I count my blessings now, everyone of you will be included!!!!!

Take care all,

Love Diana xoxoxo

nomorepanic
17-12-03, 19:27
Hi Diana

Happy Christmas to you too - let's hope it is a good one

Thanks for all the posts on here - much appreciated.

Nicola

stimpy
22-12-03, 17:30
Diana, I hope your daughter is feeling better, and looking forward to Christmas.
I've now done a huge list of 21 things I can do, 22 things I need to practice and another 25 things I would like to do.

It was only when I looked at the list I realised just how well I had done.

I have even been brave enough to visit Asda and Toys R Us in the christmas rush, had my hair cut and stayed in the bath for 30 minutes on my own. Admittedly I did come out of all 5 experiences shaking a little bit, but still it is better than a full scale panic.

I even donated 12 tins of cat food to a local cats home, so they benefited from my bravery too!

diana
22-12-03, 18:52
WOW!!!!! Liz,

You have done soooo very well. It seems that the new year is going to be only the beginning of new things to come for you. Keep up the "GREAT" work, I know it is hard believe me. You can only do better now, even if you have a little fall back, don`t beat yourself up over it. We all have our little fall backs, but we all just gotta hop back on that path and keep on moving ahead, and yea we are gonna feel a little shaky after achieving something we have been so afraid to do up until that point, but nothing hard to do is ever easy. We all are cheering for you dear, and we all know with the support of your lovely husband and children you can do anything. Keep on keepin on Liz, we all will beat this disorder together, I know we will. :) Thanks for asking about my daughter. She is doing considerably better, I think the whole idea of turning 18 was overwhelming for her. I think she thought something wild and exciting was gonna happen or some magnificent change was going to bestow her. However after actually turning 18 and discovering the next day was pretty much the same as the day before she turned 18, was a bit devastating for her, but also a "REALITY" check for her, I HOPE!!!!!! So far so good. I`ll keep my fingers crossed though. :) I really appreciate everyone on her listening to my ongoing sad luck story about all of this mess with her, but all of your posts have been quite reassuring at my lowest of times dealing with all of this. Thanks to everyone!!!!! I do think she is feeling a bit better, and "I KNOW" she is looking forward to Christmas. So hopefully the new year holds something new and positive for all of us. Take care all.

Happy Holidays

Love,

Diana xoxoxo