PDA

View Full Version : Cipralex and urge for bread and butter.............

Trixie
25-01-09, 11:26
Please say I am not the only one?:mad:

alias_kev
28-01-09, 00:03
Well it looks like you might be!!:winks:

Anyway it is documented that escitalopram can affect weight loss/gain and appetite up/down. It can also affect the glucose management which is probably where the appetite/weight changes come from.

As a personal perspective my sugar management was a bit rubbish already - though I passed a blood test - but I think the esc' made it a bit worse. I found I've been ok as I always take the med just after food and make sure I have a snack at bedtime so my sugar was not as low on waking. Note that low blood sugar can encourage anxiety even in the non-anxious. I know it affects me even before the meds.

Anyway if you have a sensible body you might react to lower blood sugar by wanting healthy food like bread/butter. Most of us crave stupid foods like jam, cakes and biscuits. So well done really.

Trixie
28-01-09, 07:22
Well it looks like you might be!!:winks:

Anyway it is documented that escitalopram can affect weight loss/gain and appetite up/down. It can also affect the glucose management which is probably where the appetite/weight changes come from.

As a personal perspective my sugar management was a bit rubbish already - though I passed a blood test - but I think the esc' made it a bit worse. I found I've been ok as I always take the med just after food and make sure I have a snack at bedtime so my sugar was not as low on waking. Note that low blood sugar can encourage anxiety even in the non-anxious. I know it affects me even before the meds.

Anyway if you have a sensible body you might react to lower blood sugar by wanting healthy food like bread/butter. Most of us crave stupid foods like jam, cakes and biscuits. So well done really.

The odd thing is is that I have never been a bread and butter person in my life.:ohmy:

alias_kev
29-01-09, 02:30
The odd thing is is that I have never been a bread and butter person in my life.:ohmy:Ah, but that's the magic of seratonin manipulation. It can do practically anything good or bad. Really all the GPs do is send the meds running into your signal box nearly-randomly pulling levers. Then standback and see if things are getting better or not.

bab
29-01-09, 10:48
gotta love these gp's