PDA

View Full Version : emetophobia and consious sedation

Rhiannon_julia
25-01-09, 23:03
Hey there,

Ive suffered with emetophobia as far back as i can remember, reacently its got really bad along with m anxiety and panic attacks. Ive recently found out i need to have my wisdom teeth removed andam obviously extremely anxious about it, my dentist suggested consious sedation to help me get through the experience however Im scared it could make me sick. has anyone been sedated in this way? any advice would be a great help?
thanks

Rhiannon
xx

LucyR
25-01-09, 23:37
I think this is where they inject into your gum, its called a local aenasthetic, as opposed to a general aenasthetic, its not likely to make you sick I shouldnt think so anyway.

Trapped
25-01-09, 23:48
The one my son had was done by breathing it in, but it can be done by IV, have they told you which you will have?

PHOBIA MAN
26-01-09, 02:02
get to a hypnotherapist, this is the best way to be NATURALLY RELAXED, no drugs, he/she may even go with you, find a registered one, there are reg directories for them. General Hypnoterapy Register for one
just do it!!!

Rhiannon_julia
27-01-09, 00:08
Thans for the replies guys, its much appreciated :-) no they havent told me yet think i may have a choice though as they did explain that they do it by IV or breathing it in. Also they offer hypnotherapy too at the clinic perhaps that would be the way to go instead.

cheers

belle
27-01-09, 09:12
I am having IV consious sedation today at 10.50am (having 2/3 teeth removed). I am too emetopobic. This will be my 4th time.

:)

Kells81
27-02-09, 19:52
I have emetophobia and I have been sedated about 8-10 times to get my teeth done. I have never been sick from it and I actually quite enjoy it!

You will be fine xx

sarah_leo123@yahoo.c
02-03-09, 20:08
hello i am new to this to, i am trying to write my own lil bit but i didnt know how, haha!! i ma 20 i have been suffering from a fear of bein sick for about 9 months now, it started when i hd a really bad hangover and felt sick all day! its got to the stage where i have lost over a stone and a half and cant bring myself to eat anything i struggle to eat toast without convincing myself im going to be sick! iv almost become to enjoy the feeling of being hungry because i know if i had the tummy bug or going to be sick, i wouldnt have anything in my tummy to bring up! i have been to my GP but he said he could put me on relaxants and as i have a 2 year old to look after i was very reluctant, therefore have not been back!

i am trying very hard to not let this get a grip of me and to not resort to drugs however i have been a panicking mess more than a few times now and i cant get through a day without thinking im going to be sick!!

ne1 got any advice????
sarah
xx

loopy loo
02-03-09, 22:09
Yes Sarah, you are in danger of developing an eating disorder because of this. Check out www.b-eat.co.uk to see whether you recognise your self in a any of the descriptions.

Loopy Loo