PDA

View Full Version : they're back...

rob64
26-01-09, 16:38
my first panic attack was in 2003 and it came from nowhere. i was sitting watchin the telly. suddenly it felt like my heart was going to explode out of my chest. i jumped up and ran to the bathroom and really thought i was having a heart attack. i think if i had been alone i would have called an ambulance. fortunately my friend was with me. and knew what was happening as she had experienced them herself. it was freezin outside but i wanted to sit with the window wide open. i felt so scared. eventually, maybe 20 mins later, the feeling started to go and i felt completely exhausted. i had to give up work because of these attacks which were occuring on a daily basis. i went from a healthy ten stone to 6 and a half sone in under 2 months. the thoughts of dying and am i having a stroke were constant and iam sure they triggered the panic. eventually i saw my gp who prescribed a 20mg dose of seroxat which seemed to do the trick. however i decided to stop these approximately 7 months ago and in the last week have had those horrible feelings returning. this time its with dizziness and light headedness and i feel awful. i have tried to go back on the seroxat but it seems to have heightened the feelings. and i am beginning to fear night times as i worry if something happns to me, nobody will hear me. i havent made it out of the flat today. what can i do? i dont have a partner and have come to this site for help... please:weep:

reallyfedup
26-01-09, 19:34
I think you are experiencing withdrawal. I stopped seroxat 1 month ago. I was told by my dr that it would be out of my system after 2 weeks. Stay strong love and see if the dr can prescribe something else to calm you at the moment?!? I have amitriptyline for this. Have started now on citalopram but am still very anxious and panicking ! I don't go out the house . Its really debilitating isn't it?
:wacko:

rob64
26-01-09, 19:42
i dont think people realise how much, taking over my life..... again! tanks for the support. xx

bel25
26-01-09, 21:16
I know how you feel and as you say, unless you've been through it, some people just don't understand. My first attack was random as well but there was a bigger gap till they got really bad. At first i woke up during the night- solved this by havin a cup of tea n watchin a comedy for half hr-hr n went back to bed. Then i started to get a few during the day and then became scared at night (like you have said) coz i feared dying on my own with no one around to help- obviously when you sleep no one is there when you're single. Sorry, i don't know what to suggest with your meds, i've never taken anything- i went to gp for tests (obviously there was nothing wrong) and then he referred me but took around 2 months so see someone- in this time i just put up with it but gradually got better. Parents were away and didn't wana be i house on my own so was staying with family friends- had 1 session of therapy and she said it's a vicious circle and i needed to try and break it so i went home that night. Also, i learnt breathing techniques from the forms they gave me. I've had 2 bad "episodes" and both times i virtually stopped eating i felt so on edge all the time but that just makes you feel weak and increases the anxiety, once i ate again i gradually got better and used the breathing techniques i mentioned. I also started going to the gym 3 times a week which kept them away completely. Been to yoga tonight as well coz meant to be relaxing (replacing one of my gym sessions) and although i had 1 or 2 PAs towards the end, after (and now) i feel great :) i think i just need to get used to it- also i was out fri night and up early this morning so lack of sleep probs didn't help, lol. So maybe try some of these things if you haven't already. If you ever wana talk pm me :)
take care!
xxx

kenboon
26-01-09, 22:29
Hiya Rob

Its very hard to overcome and it takes alot of guts to face it head on, but you can beat it, although its very hard and takes alot of rebuilding your confidence.The most important thing to know is that all of the symptoms you experience are not harmful, although they are unpleasent. And no one has ever died from Anxiety or Panic Attacks. But you could ask the GP for a ECG and blood tests to put your mind at rest.

I would go back to your GP and see if they can maybe prescribe some Beta Blockers for the short term like Diazapam, just to help you on your way. I'm one of these that does not like taking tablets, but Diazapam did help me when i was at my peak of the illness alot.

Have you had any CBT? This has helped me any many others but, there may be a waiting list but your GP should be able to refer you if its available in your area. I have just started reading a book by Claire Weekes called "self help for your nerves" This is a great book if you suffer from anxiety and is quite an easy read and i have found it benificial as have many others.

Your not alone mate and thats an important thing to remember. You will find plenty of support on here and i'm sure you will find it benificial to you as i have found it to be a god send at times.

All the best

Ken

Veronica H
27-01-09, 07:22
Hi Rob

This will settle down provided you donot add too much fear to it. The secret is to accept and not fight it. Ken mentioned the Claire Weekes book and I cannot recommend this enough. This can be found in the NMP shop plus free downloads of her work to your MP3 to get you started.

Veronica

rob64
27-01-09, 21:09
I know how you feel and as you say, unless you've been through it, some people just don't understand. My first attack was random as well but there was a bigger gap till they got really bad. At first i woke up during the night- solved this by havin a cup of tea n watchin a comedy for half hr-hr n went back to bed. Then i started to get a few during the day and then became scared at night (like you have said) coz i feared dying on my own with no one around to help- obviously when you sleep no one is there when you're single. Sorry, i don't know what to suggest with your meds, i've never taken anything- i went to gp for tests (obviously there was nothing wrong) and then he referred me but took around 2 months so see someone- in this time i just put up with it but gradually got better. Parents were away and didn't wana be i house on my own so was staying with family friends- had 1 session of therapy and she said it's a vicious circle and i needed to try and break it so i went home that night. Also, i learnt breathing techniques from the forms they gave me. I've had 2 bad "episodes" and both times i virtually stopped eating i felt so on edge all the time but that just makes you feel weak and increases the anxiety, once i ate again i gradually got better and used the breathing techniques i mentioned. I also started going to the gym 3 times a week which kept them away completely. Been to yoga tonight as well coz meant to be relaxing (replacing one of my gym sessions) and although i had 1 or 2 PAs towards the end, after (and now) i feel great :) i think i just need to get used to it- also i was out fri night and up early this morning so lack of sleep probs didn't help, lol. So maybe try some of these things if you haven't already. If you ever wana talk pm me :)
take care!
xxx
thank you so much xx

rob64
27-01-09, 21:12
Hiya Rob

Its very hard to overcome and it takes alot of guts to face it head on, but you can beat it, although its very hard and takes alot of rebuilding your confidence.The most important thing to know is that all of the symptoms you experience are not harmful, although they are unpleasent. And no one has ever died from Anxiety or Panic Attacks. But you could ask the GP for a ECG and blood tests to put your mind at rest.

I would go back to your GP and see if they can maybe prescribe some Beta Blockers for the short term like Diazapam, just to help you on your way. I'm one of these that does not like taking tablets, but Diazapam did help me when i was at my peak of the illness alot.

Have you had any CBT? This has helped me any many others but, there may be a waiting list but your GP should be able to refer you if its available in your area. I have just started reading a book by Claire Weekes called "self help for your nerves" This is a great book if you suffer from anxiety and is quite an easy read and i have found it benificial as have many others.

Your not alone mate and thats an important thing to remember. You will find plenty of support on here and i'm sure you will find it benificial to you as i have found it to be a god send at times.

All the best

Kenthank you, will get the book and stay on this site :)