PDA

View Full Version : Moved House - moving doctors? Is there anything I can do?

PhoenixGrey
27-01-09, 22:03
Hi,

I moved house in July 2008 (I'm a student so it's a yearly occurrence - although staying in the same place now until July 2010). When I moved here I apparently moved out of the catchment area for my doctors, but they didn't pick up on this until a month ago.

Now when I moved doctors here from home I was told my medical records would go with them - which clearly didn't happen as they had no idea about my past. Now my doctors here have been with me since my HA/Depression started (about 3-4 months ago) and my doctors are now pestering me to leave and move to another doctors (keep in mind i am barely 1/3 mile out of their 'area') but I really don't want to be left going to a doctors that don't know the precise details of my problems - whereas my current doctors have a detailed record on their computer system.

I know it seems petty but I don't want to leave as I cannot explain how distressed this entire situation made me, or explain why it happened. Has this happened to anyone? Any advice? - My apologies for the excessively long post!

Laura :)

hm1177
27-01-09, 22:17
its standard practice to have to move docs when u leave the catchment but they do have exceptions to the rule. You could try writing to the practice manager and explain your situation and how this may make your anxiety worse. Failing that you could ask your doc to write to the new docs and explain your condition so you dont have to go over everything fully. You could also look at it as a fresh start with regards to your doctors. Sometimes I wish I could move docs because i'm sure all mine think i;m a pain!

mandie
27-01-09, 22:33
Hi Laura

When u move surgeries, all the notes on the computer will be transferred to the new surgery so your new dr will no exactly wots going on.

If you really want to stay with your old practice, have a word with the practice manager and they can explain to the dr.

Sometimes if your not that far from the surgery, even if your outside their catchment area, they may let u stay.

i work in a dr surgery and that is wot we do in our practice

love mandie