PDA

View Full Version : Are you addicted to Googling your sysmptoms?

gibgobuk
28-01-09, 10:22
Hello,

I'm writing a feature for a women's health magazine about how the internet can fuel health anxiety – for example when you Google symptoms like a headache and then become convinced you have a brain tumour. I would love to hear from any women who would like to share their experience of this.

Reply to this thread or email me at bethgibbonsuk@yahoo.co.uk.

Thanks!

Beth
(GIBGOBUK)

yorkylover
28-01-09, 13:29
Many years ago before we had a computer I used to look up things in medical book's.Bad mistake.This made my anxiety and depression worse.

I eventually managed to stop myself from doing this and googling,which Im proud about.

It onlt makes things aot worse.

bottleblond
28-01-09, 15:56
Hi Beth

I used to be a guilty googler until i discovered it was only fueling my anxiety rather than helping it.

No matter what 'illness' i googled, it came up with the worse case scenario and i was convinced whatever i had was fatal. I have gone from having chronic heart disease to having a brain tumour according to the google monster but on looking back it was more like a pulled muscle and a tension headache. :doh:

I would never recommend anyone to use any search engine to look up health symptoms because nine times out of ten, we will add one and one and it would equal ninety.

Lisa
x

daniela
28-01-09, 16:09
Unfortunately this is how I spend most of my day. Even thought it increases my anxiety to 100% I can't stop myself from doing it.

valleybear
28-01-09, 16:57
I used to Google and it made my anxxiety so much worse. I have left a medical info site in the throes of a full blown panic attack.. I absolutely don't do it now. I hope I won't be tempted in the future, but for some I know that, like me in the past, it is a difficult habit to break. This site is so much better with positive thinking and real advice when needed.

Davedave
01-02-09, 20:14
Um i was doing this earlier today and now it was actualy relieving when i got to this website but i do agree that google and The notorios WEBMD dummmdummdummmmmmm was killing me and every symptom i automatically got and started feeling and hour later when i thought about it.

Chelle1
01-02-09, 20:19
oh yes,

ive thought i had tumors, cancer, ms, scizophrenia, all sorts,

Duckie
01-02-09, 21:47
Always, my latest has been Crohn's Disease.

Chichar
02-02-09, 16:24
I've heard it called 'cyberchondria.' I am often guilty of it myself...

hm1177
08-02-09, 13:16
I do this too. I can't help it - I know it makes me worse in the long run as I always seek out a certain diagnosis and ignore any of the 'better' conditions (i.e ones that can be easily treated such as a vitamin deficiency). I will happily answer any specific qns you have or tell you more details. Feel free to PM me

sandy35
08-02-09, 16:55
I have made the mistake of googling my symptoms as well when im having my bad days - brain tumour, any type of cancer, liver disease. I want to stop doing this as this only makes my anxiety escalate!!!!!

mick_uk
09-02-09, 10:29
I've now made my own google. I use this one just for medical enquiries.

http://www.harryzimmermanpodcast.org.uk/

take care

mick