PDA

View Full Version : This Site Might Be An Issue

Dublin_Man
28-01-09, 12:51
hope the mods dont ban me as i dont mean this in a bad way

but when u think of panic attacks or anxiety u will cause it or give it strenght to grow

and the more ur on this site the more ur thinking of it , in a way never forgetting it or trying diff things as ur constantly aware of it

its just a thought ??????

i mean some of the help is great etc and friends etc

but if u trying to get over it , maybe u should stay off it for a bit as ur mind reading some of the stories goes into overdrive

Purple Fish
28-01-09, 13:07
Hi Dublin Man,

I can see your point and this thought has crossed my mind too especially as I`m well on the road to recovery in my anxiety.
My doctor knows about this site and he has even checked it out himself. I think I well mention to him if he thinks I should stay on here. Although this ite has helped reassure me a great deal I wonder if once I am 100% better will I need it anymore?

Tanya xx

gtrgrl3369
28-01-09, 13:21
I dont think they would ban you for an opionion. Here is mine on the subject. I can say that I am about 98 percent better than I have been. I go to work now everyday, I go out and do things without panic or anxiety. I still have a few issues with food but I am working on that. This site was a godsend to me, in the way that I knew I wasnt alone in anything. No matter what time of day it was, if I was so scared I thought I was dyning yet again, I logged on and chatted with some of the kindest people I have ever talked to. It might not be for everyone. I am glad it was here for me and still is when I am having an off day. I hope you do what is best for you, but for me this site was a tremendous blessing.

sMINT
28-01-09, 13:49
I was actually thinking this the other day and was gonna make this topic too lol.

Reading about all the peoples problems/phobias with me being a hypochondriac isnt doing me no good lol. But the information here and the help is much appreciated.

purplehaze
28-01-09, 14:10
I think if there is an issue then best not to read the posts that you feel will affect you. I only read some post that relate to me and never really go into health issues as they dont concern me but I do feel for those who suffer.

but its a good site

ade
28-01-09, 14:27
its an interesting view,but i think that every one person for whom this site may cause addiction/dependence/negativity, there are 1000s for whom it is a godsend and a lifeline.it comes down to the individual,not the site.

eeyorelover
28-01-09, 14:28
This has been brought up before. No one would ever think to ban you for questioning it!
My opinion is that this is true with a lot different aspects of day to day life.
If you watch TV and see a medical show it can trigger HA.
Reading a newspaper can cause anxious thoughts about the state of the world around you.
The way I look at it is that it isn't WHAT we experience, as much as it is HOW we react to it.
If you read about someone having a heart attack and you dwell on "what if I have a heart problem and just don't know it" then it is the fact that we have personalized it and made it into something to fear rather than saying "I'm a healthy person who has had a physical so a heart condition is unlikely".

Anxiety can be triggered by events but the way that our brains perceive it as being a threat to our well being is the problem, not actually the event itself.

It is a good thing to learn from others experiences. Personally that is why I come on the site, as well as to give support to people and share my experiences.
Learning from others makes the journey to an anxiety limited life a far more tangible idea than struggling thru it alone.
xxx
Sandy

brokenbabe
28-01-09, 14:44
I think its a great ease of mind to know others are going through the same symptoms as me, good to know i have someone to talk to and very reasuring when im very low and need a pic me up! i understand ur point but when your down you really need the advice, and when on the way to recovery, great to help people who need it!

decca
28-01-09, 14:46
My therapist says I should avoid sites like this,so I've taken his advice and must admit feel 100% better for it.I think that being caring and sensitive as we all are we easily take on everyone elses problems and even sub conciously adopt thier symptoms.
Having said that I feel loads better for not going on here so much I must add that the site was a massive aid to my accepting my illness at the beginning and being able to talk to other sufferers about my symptoms and medication probably put me on the road to recovery in the first place.
Although I no longer visit the site daily it's nice to be able to occasionally pop back to make posts like this.
Thank you everyone.
God bless,
Decca.

andie73
28-01-09, 15:20
Hi

I do agree in some respects but think that part of recovering from anxiety is about being able to take control of things again.In that respect I think it is up to the individual to know themselves and recognise what is making them worse. I know this is easier said than done but when you are working on recovery you get to know yourself quite well and learning to exercise sefl control is a big part of it.

This site has been invaluable at times and has helped me learn alot about anxiety. But more than anything it has shown me that I am not alone, far from it!!!! That has helped me greatly with acceptance of my panic and phobias. Before I used this site I would call myself a freak, now I don't see myself that way at all.

Whatever we read or see as we go about our daily business can affect our anxiety levels, but only if WE let it. I think using your own judgemenr is the best thing to do and it also adds to your self confidence to trust in your own decisions.

shotokansho
28-01-09, 20:57
This site has been a great help for me. It hasn't made me worse at all. It's reassuring for me that i know that someone will always be around that REALLY DOES UNDERSTAND, rather than trying to explain how i'm feeling to someone who just doesn't get it at all.
The chat room on here is fantastic...i always have a good laugh and giggle when im down and the support in there is brilliant. Thanks everyone.

Kerry xx

sunshine-lady
28-01-09, 21:42
I have found this site to be almost a life line. I have agoraphobia (as well as other issues) and didn't realise that so many people suffered from agoraphobia. I find comfort from reading what has help others on the road to recovery, also I don't feel so isolated.

May be there will come a day when I don't need this site, but for now I continue to learn from others in the sam situation as myself

Meewah
01-02-09, 15:02
I agree

I have made this comment many times before. The thing is it really helps when it is really bad. Sometimes you just need someone to offload on to. When I have a PA I use this site for support and remind myself that I am not alone and that my symptoms are common. It helps me deal with the feelings that "it might be something more serious".

Keep it bookmarked. I feel that going for CBT for a relatively mild shaking symptom made me more anxious and my shrink made me feel as if it was a problem I had to overcome. The weekly meets made my mind more consious of my mental health and things started to compound in there and 8 months later bang I had my first PA. Never been the same since. The irony is I could do with the CBT more than ever now.

Balance is best but when you feel isolated and alone just go to your bookmark.

Mee