PDA

View Full Version : So fed up with myself!

agingwuss
29-01-09, 09:53
This is more just a rant to get things off my chest than anything else!
I've just made an appointment to see my doctor in a couple of hours & I'm already shaking with my stupid imagining of what he'll say. [he is a great bloke!] For about the last 2 and a half weeks I've had a change in my toilet habits. Well, not a change in habits - I'm still going regularly everyday at the usual time but my poo is looser. I've got no pain, I can't see any blood in it [and gosh, I've looked!]. But I'm STILL convinced it's cancer & I'm shaking with fear! And this is after a year when I've had cervical cancer, bladder cancer, mouth cancer, lumphoma etc etc
Why can't I behave like a sensible logical human being?! I could strangle myself!
Any comforting words from the great folks on this board would be much appreciated. I think if it hadn' t been for this board I would be in a mental home!:weep:

hm1177
29-01-09, 10:18
yeah thank god for this site! I'm sure (as you know deep down) you dont have bowel cancer. Your stools are probably looser caused by the worrying. And dont worry about feeling bad at yourself - I am so angry with myself a lot but at the end of the day we cant help it!

Mondie
29-01-09, 11:54
I had exactly the same symptoms of you at the beginning of the year, went to see my doctor (who is amazing too) convinced I had cancer. Guess what she diagnosed me with IBS, gave me some much tablets and now I'm much better and it gets worse when I'm stressed. You'll be ok I'm sure xx

countrygirl
29-01-09, 20:04
They do say that health anxiety is more prevalent amongst people with high IQ and who are perfectionists ( or control freaks:D ). So think of yourself as a very clever person rather than as a mental case:yesyes: hoho.

Joking aside I know just how you feel and on many occasions like once a week at least i could cheerfully strangle that part of my brain that is abnormal. I started with ha after a traumatic event as a child so have had it since I was 6 yrs old and am now 47yrs old. I am sure I get worse as I get older and get more and more chronic things wrong with me ( I just had to be born with severe sight problems didn't I) and have got a wrecked spine so lots of symptoms for me to obsess over. Ad in the approaching menopause and basket case I am:wacko: