PDA

View Full Version : Do you move from one disease to the next too?

hm1177
29-01-09, 10:25
I'm reading "its not all in your head" just now and so far so good. Anyway I just had a bit of a lightbulb moment - my first health fear was a lymphoma - its what started all this obsession off. I had persistant swollen glands, excessive fatigue, weight loss etc and despite having clear blood tests, dr google told me I had a lymphoma so 4 months later I had fine needle aspiration, gland removal, biopsy and CT scan all of which told me I infact did not have a lymphoma.

Since I have now accepted I dont have a lymphoma (despite still having permanent swollen glands) I have moved my attention to MS. I have pins and needles, tremors, muscle spasms, weak feeling muscles and I would really like to have an MRI to check this all out.

do any of you move onto a new disease/condition when you have your initial one crossed off your checklist?

kittykat
29-01-09, 10:40
Just one answer to give you here........Yes........i'm constantly doing that, ive thought i had ovarian,cervical , lung ,throat cancer basically the lot i fix on symptoms , go to the doc, get whatever tests and then basically move on to something else.
I was convinced i had skin cancer as a mole had changed and got it removed it was fine, i was so convinced it was the big C , also i suffer from really bad back pain , it was excruciating , convinced this is a tumour, had MRI turned out to be a disc prolapse and arthritis. But i would like to say if peopleare like me they do have symptoms ,but i just always tend to imagine the worse and blow them way out of proportion.

xxxxxx

Beccy
29-01-09, 10:40
Yes!!! I have gone from lung cancer to appendicitis to a heart attack and more recently DVT. The lung cancer panic turned out to be a muscular thing, the appendix issue turned out to be IBS, the heart attack was an infection in my breast bone and the DVT I am told is a bakers cyst which I am still not 100% sure on but my rational thought tells me it is. Needless to say I am a little sick of moving from one to another.

countrygirl
29-01-09, 20:12
The problem is that even after we have found out from medical tests that we don't have the illness we feared we do still have all the symptoms so if its not the illness we first feared then it must be some fatal illness so we move on to another illness that the symptoms fit. Example - I kept getting terrible stabbing pains in my abdomen lasting from a few minutes to days and it really was excruitiating - convinced it was my appendix - eventually after 2 hospital admissions they took my appendix out just to be on safe side - appendix fine so they do a huge exploratory operation but cannot find any reason for pain. so i was happy for a few weeks until I got the pains again. Now convinced it was bowel cancer - eventually had colonoscopy which was totally normal - happy with this until the pains come again. I also was getting severe pain in middle of my back either side - I do have prolapsed discs but suddenly thought the pains must be from spinal tumour or kidney tumour. Had MRI of pelvis and lumbar and yes I have arthritis and prolapsed discs.

all this time my GP is saying she is sure the pain is coming from my damaged spine.

Our problem is really one of intense fear:huh:

j2
29-01-09, 21:09
I am NEVER without a fatal illness, at least in my thoughts. Many times in the same day I move from one cancer to the next and then I will throw in a horrible nuero disorder. Lately it has been pancraetic, liver, throat and lung cancer (but the day isn't over yet :D ). I spent an hour today looking at my eyes in the mirror and swearing that they looked yellow and therefore I had jaundice and therefore I had a tumor in my liver. That fear is still racing around my head now. Anyway, please know you have friends here and good luck.

claire.xx
29-01-09, 23:20
i started with skin cancer cos a mole changed, went to cervical cancer, then to a heart attack after my mum died of 1, rushed myself to hospital it was a panic attack, an nw its lung cancer which im convinced as spread to my bones as i ache. its endless

claire.xx
29-01-09, 23:27
i started with skin cancer cos of a mole then to cervical then to a heart attack jst after my mum died frm 1-rushed to hospital and was a panic attack, to ms, a brain tumour and nw lung cancer im convinced is spreading to my bones as i ache, it never ends

lauren6
30-01-09, 00:08
hm, so glad you are reading that book. I have posted about it as being the best one on the market. I hope it helps you. Isn't it great to see this acknowledged and to see ourselves in a book? In answer to your question, the problem is not the disease, it's our head that for some strange reason compels us to frighten ourselves over and over. So yes, I also am always scared of something. I have yet to figure out why and the books are not oriented toward that approach...cognitive therapy is basically not concerned with the "whys" as much as reshaping our erroneous thoughts to reality based thoughts. if only it were so easy!!

CJH86
30-01-09, 13:22
Yup, this is me over the last few months.....

- i thought i had a DVT and a pulmonary embolism last week (ruled out just a sore leg)
-CJD about a month or so ago (i guess time is ruling that one out!!)
-lung cancer (was just backache, excessive smoking and a bad cold)
-I even had a series of lectures on heart faliure which almost convinced me my symptoms at the time matched :blush:
-this week its been parkinsons disease (now thats so unlikely!!) and cardiomyopathy, an echocardiogram in a couple of weeks should rule that one out........then we'll see

It all looks so silly on paper :roflmao:

rb1978
30-01-09, 15:22
Yes, I fluctuate between a brain tumour, nasal cancer, ovarian cancer

The thing that I find odd, and I do this myself, is how you can have a symptom for ages and not worry about it and then something will trigger a fear and then suddenly that one symptoms worsens and becomes the focus.

LJElson
30-01-09, 22:05
Yer i get this, has anyoen actually noticed if you think youve got something, your mind or body starts making these symptoms for some reason, think about your gonna have a heart attack, symptoms come, asthma, symptoms come, ms, symptoms come.

fally
01-02-09, 18:03
Oh God its like reading about myself.

I have a post on 'symptons' right now as I am convinced I have either gallbladder, liver or pancreatic (can't even spell it) cancer! Oh I forgot about ovarian cancer - I was convinced it was that!

A few months ago I was adamant I had a brain tumour - before that I had dvt (i was actually a small bruise where I had hit my leg off a chair).

In fairness I think it all started when I was in labour with my 2nd child and they picked up an abnormal hearbeat which they were concerned about - so ever since then I then I have been positive I was going to have a heart attack.

I do laugh about it but it does really depress me at times and how my husbands puts up with me I will never know.

Every time I 'get over' something I promise myself I will change - but I just can't seem to!

Indea1984
26-10-09, 15:45
Yep - DVT and PE are my main things; when that gets ruled out I seem to favour the AAA!

Horrible times

Melliel
03-01-10, 17:06
Hi,

I can totally empathise with you.

I dont understand how something which has probably always been there all of sudden causes feeling's of utter dread and despair!

Friends & family can reassure me on numerous occasions but I know I get very wearing and I really test their paitence. I get on my own nerves so god knows how someone with a rational way of thinking is effected by my constant need for reassurance.

I am now at the point where I am booking myself in to dsicuss my anxieties with my GP. I hope that this has a positive effect on my way of thinking and I can start putting irrational thoughts to the very back of my mind.
:)

Corinne
03-01-10, 17:16
I can certainly join this club! I have "had" every disease in the books. Recently, I was hospitalized because I was SURE I was having a stroke. My current disease is either nocturnal epilepsy or adrenal failure because of the tremors that wake me up in the night.

Hugs to all!

skippy66
03-01-10, 17:50
A couple of days ago I had serious heart problems, or so I thought - my chest pain was so severe I came on here for reassurance, I was told chest pain only lasting a few seconds was not heart related. So of course now I think it's cancer or blood clot or something equally as fatal.

Not had chest pain for a couple of days. Yesterday it was pvcs again. I get these everyday but very bad ones yesterday.

Today I've been fighting the urge to come on here for reassurance about my latest ailment. For a few days my right eye muscles have felt strained. Today I had a huge headache on my right side and this morning I found a bit of blood in my right nostril. So of course, I'm convinced this is the start of a stroke or brain bleed. If not that, it's a brain tumour.

I catapult myself from one catastrophe to the next daily. I've been doing it for a few years now. The only time I feel fine is when I'm distracted by something else.

Why is my eye feeling heavy?

Who knows, but tomorrow it'll probably be forgotten for the next ailment - more chest pain, short of breath, palps, twitching, ear problem etc.

All I know is that in 3 years of awful awful symptoms and numerous tests all I've been diagnosed with is pvcs and possibly a bit of esophageal irritation.

Corinne
03-01-10, 18:24
Skippy66 -- maybe you have a blocked sinus? When I have sinus trouble, I get the symptoms you mentioned. It's annoying but harmless.

Jo3016
03-01-10, 18:27
I am the same too. In the past year, I have "had" a brain tumor, stomach cancer, ovarian cancer, bowel cancer and uterine cancer. My fear at the moment, I have a fear of breast cancer because several lumps appeared over night and both my breasts ache. I have a doctors appointment on Wednesday. I am hoping it is nothing serious but I almost have something waiting in the wings already for when this current fear is abated. This morning when looking in a mirror, I thought one of my moles looked a bit odd!!!

I hate feeling like this!!

WeeSmallHours
03-01-10, 18:35
I hear ya on this one, I can go from one thing to another very quickly. I had been fine with all of the HA issues for months and then they started to hit again last week. I'm not surprised, I have been under a lot of stress financially for a while now and sometimes it comes to a boil. I could feel the anxiety getting worse and earlier in the week I decided I was having issues with my heart because I didn't think my heart rate was recovering quickly enough after exercise. I started constantly checking my pulse, focusing on my heart beat. Absolute craziness.

Well, on Wednesday I banged the top of my head getting up and now that has been an issue since. I even said to myself after hitting it that I need to not let this turn into an issue, as I let a head bang do that to me last spring. Well, I haven't stopped thinking about it. I know I'm fine, I have no symptoms, but when I start to get a tension headache from clenching my jaw constantly I wonder if maybe there is some internal bleeding. But that makes no sense after 4 days. The good thing is I almost immediately stopped worrying that my heart was messed up. What a pain in the butt this can be.

skippy66
03-01-10, 20:23
Well, this evening i just ate a fairly large meal, and 30 mins later I had a severe, shooting lower chest pain again, like the one I described above.

Only lasts a few seconds, but it is VERY intense and is always accompanied with feeling of impending doom.

I've now been googling brief stabbing chest pains to no avail. No one seems to get this fleeting but intense pain.

As a result I've forgotten about my strained right eye problem.

Waiting for the next medical emergency - the way I feel right now it will be another load of brief stabbing lower chest pains which I interpret as Heart Attack, or if not heart related, then cancer.

When they disappear, I'll be able to concentrate on my impending stroke from my droopy feeling right eye.