PDA

View Full Version : What helps you?

macca78
29-01-09, 12:59
We all know about destructive coping mechanisms for our anxiety, mine is white wine and I've consumed so much my stomach burns whenever I drink! But what about anything good and positive that helps you? Mine is writing. To cope with my condition I always try and play it down, make it appear more light hearted, so I try and write comedy and it really helps me, if that makes sense?

Oceanblue
29-01-09, 13:31
We all know about destructive coping mechanisms for our anxiety, mine is white wine and I've consumed so much my stomach burns whenever I drink! But what about anything good and positive that helps you? Mine is writing. To cope with my condition I always try and play it down, make it appear more light hearted, so I try and write comedy and it really helps me, if that makes sense?

Good to see a positive post :) .

I have Bipolar and can be extremely self destructive :blush:. If I'm not on a high then I crave it. My healthy way of dealing with this is to exercise and loads of it. Luckily I enjoy it, I train everyday and I've also just settled in p/t work as a Dance Instructor.
I do all sorts of sport, the more extreme I love best, always craving for more.

I sometimes paint too, I love both Art and Photography and also listening to music.
:flowers:

Nicomi
29-01-09, 13:35
Reading helps me, I call it chewing gum for the eyes. I read all the time and can really focus but watching TV I get distracted and end up thinking.

Also exercising helps. I run - well I was a good runner but I struggle over the winter months. I've started ice skating with my seven year old daughter which is fab and although I may look like an elephant on ice I feel like I should be on Dancing on Ice lol. It completely takes away the anxiety for a while and the endorphins are good too!
I bought a book about meditating but that it still sitting on my shelf - maybe that in itself will help me.

On the destructive side I agree with you the wine is the killer but that first glass always tastes so good:yesyes:

Nicomi :D

Oceanblue
29-01-09, 13:46
On the destructive side I agree with you the wine is the killer but that first glass always tastes so good:yesyes:

mmmmm, and the 2nd, 3rd, 4th ..........:redface:

Nicomi
29-01-09, 13:57
Yup, you're right, but stop, you're making me think about it and I try not to drink in the week:blush:

trismantis
29-01-09, 15:49
Reading a great Thriller/comedy/adventure novel is superb. Not only is it engrossing, but it also gets the imagination focused on something fun and less destructive.

TV/Computer games can normally set my anxiety off as my mind starts to wander after a while...(normally hunting for some lovely old worry thoughts)...

Brigantia
29-01-09, 16:49
A TV programme sometimes helps, depending on what is bugging me at the time. Something fairly lighthearted like 'Come Dine With Me' or a daft movie like 'Romy & Michelle's HIgh School Reunion'

macca78
29-01-09, 19:17
I love Come Dine With Me, and Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion!! I love to watch films and shows that really make me laugh, and whenever I am feeling down or very anxious, sometimes if I think of a funny moment from one of my favourite shows or films it makes me laugh out loud and makes me feel happy.

:yesyes:

sunshine-lady
30-01-09, 18:14
Katie, like you I also have Bipolar and know too well the destructive side that comes along with this condition! I like to bake, clean, read and play games on my pc as a distraction. I am agoraphobic, but am able to go out with my hubby and 5 dogs for a walk over a nature trail, this really clears my head.
Macca that's a great idea writing comedy. I sometime try to write, but end up with a load of rambling!

staple
30-01-09, 19:29
I love to read a good thriller and when I am very anxious I love to get out and walk all that negative energy out of my system
Mike

NY_J
31-01-09, 23:50
As many people have mentioned, reading is good. A really good book does wonders for the mind I find. Also, exercise helps a lot when it comes to dealing with my anxiety. Running for me is very good at clearing my head and making me feel calmer (just wish I wasn't out of action due to an injury! :mad: )

Lubee26
01-02-09, 13:12
I love putting my daughter in her pram and going for a really long walk.... although that's not possible in the evening so a hot bath and a book is always a winner for me though! Of course, accompanied with a glass of wine. Always used to be red but had to switch to white as unfortunately red now gives me migraines!!

macca78
06-02-09, 11:13
So I've written a few chapters of what I hope will be a book. Is there anyone out there who likes to read chick lit? I would love some critical feedback :)