PDA

View Full Version : CBT again, is it really worth trying

Alabasterlyn
29-01-09, 14:25
I've had anxiety and agoraphobia since the early 1970's, so a long long time.

About 6yrs ago my GP referred me for CBT and I was given a year of weekly appointments just down the road from where I live. I have to say I didn't feel I improved at all during this year as I found it so hard to just get to the place to see the psychologist that pretty much everything she said went in one ear and out the other.

The last time I went to see my GP for my medication review she said how sad it was that I was still pretty much housebound and would I like to try therapy again. I agreed at the time as it seemed to make sense. However now I've heard from the therapist and it's CBT again but just for 6wks and about 3 times the distance that I had to go last time. I know already that I am going to find it really really hard to just get there and the thought of having to stay there for an hour is already making me anxious. It also turns out the sessions coincide with the only day a week that I look after my granddaughter and I really can't let my daughter in law down for 6wks as she could end up losing her job.

To top it all I just got a huge form today from the DWP regarding my NI contributions that go hand in hand with my DLA apparently. So I am sitting her with that horrible lump in my stomach worried sick that they are going to either ask me to go for a medical or even stop my money :ohmy:

clare90
29-01-09, 14:35
I know how you feel, I've tried CBT once before and it didn't work for me either, and I got a phonecall on Wednesday to arrange an appointment to see a new pyschologist.

Give the second set of CBT ago, it is worth trying. This time it might be better. You could explain your worries about the old CBT you tried to the phsychologist? I am definetley going to mention my worries to mine.

Good luck and don't give up.

xxx

Lotte
20-02-09, 00:05
CBT can be helpful to many people, but I guess it depends on what the diagnosis is. I often wonder if GP's send everyone off for CBT. Interestingly enough when I returned to the UK in August and asked to be referred for therapy the GP asked for me to see a psychiatrist not a CBT therapist.
He had a reply from the mental health team offering me CBT (which like you I had had for over a year with no results and dreaded getting to the appointments each week)
When the GP looked at this offer for CBT he said "they always send people for CBT, uuuurgh"and wrote back to them insisting on me seeing a psychiatrist. I did get an appointment and then had to move to another county and am starting over with a new GP, they are also offering me CBT, uuurgh.

I have a diagnosis stating that I need trauma based psychotherapy, yet this seems to go un- noticed. I do wonder if CBT is 1. cheaper and 2. if there are enough psychotherapists/psychiatrists for all of the patients?

I'm sticking to asking for the treatment I know I need. I was lucky enough to have 3 sessions with a psychotherapist in the Netherlands and that helped me alot more than the CBT.

But, like I say I guess each person is different.

Sorry to hear that you have had agoraphobia for so long. I have been suffering since about 1998 and thought that was tough enough :(

pink daisy
20-02-09, 02:31
Hi.. I am having cbt also and hypnotherapy
and my friend who also has agoraphobia is having cbt
the thing is you have to be at that stage when u really want life!! we all say we want to get better etc, but cos we have been like this for years its like our life now and its si hard to take that first step.

my friend couldnt walk to her ened of her street 5 months ago. and now she can walk 20 minutes from her house,

she has done this by walking everyday i mean every day or more
walking to the furthest point where she could each day untill it got into a routine. so for what ever anxiety issue u have u have to do the same, Its no point us sitting in and saying oh i want to get my life back bla bla bla cos it wont change at all.. so u go and get taht cbt and u follow everything do excersises each day. even if u feeling poo do some of it this is only the way u will get your life back!!! if you want to get better u have to get in to a routine of doing the excersises each day to beat this.

Im also doing my excersises each day now and its getting easier each day but god its hard!! but i want my life back

pink daisy
20-02-09, 02:35
Ive had agoraphobia since i was 13 I am now 30 so have had it along time too.

buy the cbt book for dummies of amazon uk and u can buy the workbook also
you can do it on your own untill u can get an apointment

just walk to the place u can everyday i bet u it will get easier than u can make another step forward!!

psychocandy
20-02-09, 10:00
CBT can be helpful to many people, but I guess it depends on what the diagnosis is. I often wonder if GP's send everyone off for CBT. Interestingly enough when I returned to the UK in August and asked to be referred for therapy the GP asked for me to see a psychiatrist not a CBT therapist.
He had a reply from the mental health team offering me CBT (which like you I had had for over a year with no results and dreaded getting to the appointments each week)
When the GP looked at this offer for CBT he said "they always send people for CBT, uuuurgh"and wrote back to them insisting on me seeing a psychiatrist. I did get an appointment and then had to move to another county and am starting over with a new GP, they are also offering me CBT, uuurgh.

I have a diagnosis stating that I need trauma based psychotherapy, yet this seems to go un- noticed. I do wonder if CBT is 1. cheaper and 2. if there are enough psychotherapists/psychiatrists for all of the patients?

I'm sticking to asking for the treatment I know I need. I was lucky enough to have 3 sessions with a psychotherapist in the Netherlands and that helped me alot more than the CBT.

But, like I say I guess each person is different.

Sorry to hear that you have had agoraphobia for so long. I have been suffering since about 1998 and thought that was tough enough :(

NHS seems big at the moment on CBT. This is what the NICE guidelines recommend. Like you say though, I dont think its right for everyone.

Also, in some areas the waiting list for CBT can be huge !!!!!

PHOBIA MAN
20-02-09, 10:40
I've been tapped on the hand by administrator for being a tad too fourthright about CBT so all i can say is "if endlessly talking for weeks worked, I'd be doing it to help people"!
I use hypnotherapy and nlp its faster and way more effective, but as with any therapy you must want to get better, I'm sorry if this last bit offends but i do see people who "kinda" wants help and all us therapists (inc CBT) struggle with it,
NHS are soooo into their darling CBT but the only real benefit tends to be the therapist, after all it's a job for life eh?
I throw down the gauntlet to any CBTer for speed and efficacy, against my methods.
I take about 1-2 hours on a phobia, they take weeks, sometimes never any benefit, the only time i can't do anything is if the sufferer doesn't help me to help them, what can i do then?
better stop there, talking about cbt gets me a bit passionate and that gets me into trouble with admin.

bottleblond
20-02-09, 12:26
Phobia Man

I have never once been offered hypnotherapy on the NHS. Does it exsist? Maybe the NHS offer what therapies they have available to them.

The only thing hypnotherapy did for me was empty my purse.

Sorry if that offends but it's the truth.

Lisa
x

Alabasterlyn
20-02-09, 12:26
I don't think there is anyone out there who actually doesn't want to get better. However I think there are possibly some people, and I probably include myself here, that just find it hard to endlessly find the energy to keep on pushing those barriers out. When every day is a battle it's extremely hard to find the energy needed to go out all the time when you feel so ill physically that you just want to go home and go to bed :ohmy:

nomorepanic
20-02-09, 14:10
Phobia Man - are you saying that you can cure panic attacks and/or anxiety in 1-2 hours or are you talking about specific phobias?

Whilst I do like Hypnotherapy for its relaxation it is also very expensive and not everyone can afford it to be honest.

Lotte
20-02-09, 14:15
Hi.. I am having cbt also and hypnotherapy
and my friend who also has agoraphobia is having cbt
the thing is you have to be at that stage when u really want life!! we all say we want to get better etc, but cos we have been like this for years its like our life now and its si hard to take that first step.

my friend couldnt walk to her ened of her street 5 months ago. and now she can walk 20 minutes from her house,

she has done this by walking everyday i mean every day or more
walking to the furthest point where she could each day untill it got into a routine. so for what ever anxiety issue u have u have to do the same, Its no point us sitting in and saying oh i want to get my life back bla bla bla cos it wont change at all.. so u go and get taht cbt and u follow everything do excersises each day. even if u feeling poo do some of it this is only the way u will get your life back!!! if you want to get better u have to get in to a routine of doing the excersises each day to beat this.

Im also doing my excersises each day now and its getting easier each day but god its hard!! but i want my life back

I see where you are coming from, although again, doesn't the reason for the agoraphobia have to be taken into account? For example there are many reasons for people to become agoraphobic. Mine personally is a spin off from having PTSD.
I saw a therapist in Belgium for appointments for 2 years paying privately, she had this same view of walking daily, pushing myself. I did push myself, walked daily for 2 years and never managed to get past the local shop in a small village due to terrible shaking. What made it worse was that on two occassions people stopped me in the street to ask if I was ok (this of course made me realise how severe my muscle twitches are and my shaking.
I kept going and didn't give up, yet one day at the therapists meeting she said "I really can't help you, you are not trying hard enough and to be honest I don't think I am experienced enough to help you with the amount of trauma you have suffered", she had no idea how hard I had struggled! It knocked me for 6.

Over 4000 euros spent which we could ill afford, I returned home devestated.

It was only when I saw a psychotherapist who's expertise was trauma that I felt someone could really relate to what I was going through.

I'm back to square one now, today the GP phoned since I am unable to sleep and she suggested I put lavender oil in my bath. Great idea, just shame that she has no clue about severe trauma.

eeyorelover
20-02-09, 15:30
It's amazing some of the drivel that people who "specialize" in treating panic and the like spew when they don't have experience with anxiety and related symptoms! The truth is that some don't have the sense that God gave an ant but just because they have PHD or MD behind their name, we are supposed to follow what they say and take it as gospel!

I personally believe that every person is different. There isn't one treatment that is going to work for everyone!
If there were a "cure" for anxiety someone would have bottled it, or would have it offered it in some other way and made TONS of money!!!
Instead we have charlatans who peddle "cures" that have no effect and then blame the person who is ill when there is no improvement!
No one WANTS to have this illness! Personally I would eat hot coals if it would get rid of the anxiety forever!!! LOL
But the truth is there is no quick fix miracle cure and to say so is deceptive and just plain WRONG!
xxx
Sandy

lorac
20-02-09, 16:13
I have spent pounds on trying to get rid of my anxiety and panic disorder and so far the only thing that has worked for me is my own hard work and determination. I once went for hypnotherapy and the person who was going to do it for me some how turned all the sessions into counselling so I never got to find out if it would cure me or not. I guess I have been a bit unfortunate because my doctor has never referred me for anything I have had to pay for all my own treatment myself and I got to the stage I couldn't afford to keep paying out any more, the best thing I ever found was a copy of Claire Weeks Self Help for your Nerves it was the best money I ever spent and the only thing that helped me get my life back on track, I still have a long way to go but I am doing so much better.

Carol

Lotte
20-02-09, 16:37
It's amazing some of the drivel that people who "specialize" in treating panic and the like spew when they don't have experience with anxiety and related symptoms! The truth is that some don't have the sense that God gave an ant but just because they have PHD or MD behind their name, we are supposed to follow what they say and take it as gospel!

I personally believe that every person is different. There isn't one treatment that is going to work for everyone!
If there were a "cure" for anxiety someone would have bottled it, or would have it offered it in some other way and made TONS of money!!!
Instead we have charlatans who peddle "cures" that have no effect and then blame the person who is ill when there is no improvement!
No one WANTS to have this illness! Personally I would eat hot coals if it would get rid of the anxiety forever!!! LOL
But the truth is there is no quick fix miracle cure and to say so is deceptive and just plain WRONG!
xxx
Sandy

I totally agree

Katie27jt
21-02-09, 18:52
Is CBT the new in thing on the NHS?!
They seem to be reffering everyone for it

faith
21-02-09, 19:20
I also have agoraphobia and have been battling with it for many years. I understood your concerns the DSS sent a doctor to my home on a saturday to interview mw as I could not travel to them, my G.P. requested this.. I have found the mental health team members positiv ely unhelpful and on occasions nasty. I have a private counsellor now who visits me at home. I hope this helps.

mickh555
21-02-09, 22:35
Therapy cured me.Well sort of...i felt such an idiot i decided to go away and cure myself.I think its like faith healing.If you believe it will work,it probably will.

PHOBIA MAN
21-02-09, 22:45
You have not offended me! you may just have found a hypnotherapist that was not so good, either generally or on your subject!
just because one painter does a poor job on your house, doesn't mean you'll never decorate again, eh?
The lightbulb took many attempts to perfect it, we are all glad they tried that hard!
forgive me, I do love a metaphor!
As I always say if there was something quicker and more effective, I'd be doing it, I'm a fickle therapist, I'll jump ship if i find a better way, I want the fastest results possible, so far hypnotherapy/NLP is that method, it is only limited to the co-operation of the client.
Be well!

Phobia Man

I have never once been offered hypnotherapy on the NHS. Does it exsist? Maybe the NHS offer what therapies they have available to them.

The only thing hypnotherapy did for me was empty my purse.

Sorry if that offends but it's the truth.

Lisa
x

bottleblond
21-02-09, 22:58
Ah but pray tell, would the 'jumping ship' be for the patient or the wallet? (ok sarcasm does not suit me) however it is a question i am intrigued about.

If i visited you tomorrow for 2 hours would i then be cured of my agoraphobia? Honestly please??? As you did claim 'one to two hours on a phobia'.

Lisa
x