PDA

View Full Version : Shyness (really need advice)

louise0501
29-01-09, 20:09
Hi there, i'm 22 and ever since being at school i have been incredibly shy and quiet. i have job but i find it so difficult to talk to people there, some people i can talk to more than others. i feel like i am being held back like i still live with my family and i dont have a boyfriend or hardly any friends. i am applying for university but i got my reference today and it went on my lack of confidence and quietness and i guess it has just made me realise that i may not be able to cope with being away from home and i probably wont get in anyway. what if i don't make any friends? which is something i have always struggled with.any advice? i would really appreciate it?
please reply
Luv Louise

louise0501
30-01-09, 16:09
really need advice, struggling to cope.

titch
30-01-09, 16:28
aww hun *hugs* i am quiet a shy person too hun and it can really get you down im always go red if some1 important or some1 i dont really know talks to me and this is very embarrassing..try not to put yaself down too much hun...xxxxxxxxx:bighug1:

NY_J
31-01-09, 23:26
Positive thinking can go along way (easier said than done I know!), I managed university for 4 years, even though some parts were difficult I got through it and am pleased I did. I am now back living with my parents :weep: , but am glad I made that break away for uni. Just wish I could now become anxiety free to a certain degree so I could move out!

Anyway, good luck with the uni application :)

tamo
01-02-09, 01:12
hi , you can educate your way out of it by reading .there are dozens of books on the subject and related subjects. good luck

southernmagpie
05-02-09, 21:32
Hi. It can seem really difficult to overcome shyness - i suffered with it hugely as a teenager but over the years i have learnt to lessen the effects to some degree.

Someone much smarter than me once told me that when you feel shy you can feel as if everyone is watching you every move and judging everything you say, but they assured me that they are not. In fact most people are too concerned about themselves and the impression they are creating to worry about what other people are doing!

With this in mind i found it best to overcome my shyness by starting conversations with people at work i'd hardly ever talked to - even if it was about the smallest or silliest thing and was amazed that they would actually respond to what i was saying and not just look at me funny (which is how i'd always thought they would act).

These small conversations enable you to build up the confidence to be able to talk to people in all sorts of new circumstances and surroundings - however anxious you may be feeling.

So...my best piece of advice is when you're next at work strike up a conversation with someone new - about anything. Chances are they'll have something to say right back to you.

Hope some of that helps. Good luck with your job and applying for university.
:)

CJH86
06-02-09, 00:47
Hiya, ive always been shy and i bit the bullet and went to university away from home.....i always worried i wouldnt make friends, it still worries me i guess from time to time when im mixing with new people/meeting new people etc. The great thing about university is there is such a wide scope of people, theres always gonna be someone else whos shy and you can relate to (in my experience there is) and another good thing is you are all in the same boat i.e. not knowing anyone...so thats always a great icebreaker in itself:)

i'd say its definately worth a shot as it can change your life, since ive been at uni ive got a fantastic boyfriend and friends for life...not to mention more independance and job prospects:D