PDA

View Full Version : What helps...

Howler
30-01-09, 17:21
So, just wondering what people have found helpful in coping with their health anxiety. I am just coming up to a year from being diagnosed (although I know I suffered for many years before that) and have been looking back on the experience. So, in answer to my own question, I have found the following things helpful:

-Using the same GP; she's been able to monitor my progress and knows me fairly well by now.

-Citalopram; I've been on this since last March and its made a real difference to my levels of anxiety, apart from the side effects of course but the benefits have far outweighed the downsides.

-Counselling; fantastic to be just listened to; I always felt almost euphoric coming out of my sessions having let go of so much angst and fear.

-Keeping a diary of my symptoms; this has meant that when something 'new' happens (muscle twitching, dizziness, memory problems, visual disturbances) I have been able to look back and see that I have 'had' that before and its likely to be a product of anxiety.

-Giving myself room to breathe and let go; I have learned not to beat myself up about having a mental illness. It's my responsibility to deal with it but it certainly isn't my fault.

So what about you guys?

Ed xxx

hm1177
30-01-09, 18:23
I havent had an official diagnosis so this is all self-help techniques:

fresh air - going for a walk, having windows open in house
5htp - helps a little - has stopped migraines at least
diary - as u said nice to know that I didnt die last time I had whatever
"It's not all in your head" by admunson - makes such sense - just trying to convince myself of what it says!

no big effects so far though but little steps...

staple
30-01-09, 19:34
What I find good for me is plenty of excerise especially walking and also a Journal which I find good as it lets me get stuff out of my head and see it on paper.
Mike