PDA

View Full Version : A little help please

sMINT
30-01-09, 20:48
Just got back from visiting a mate in London. Which I'm pretty proud of doing seeing as I suffer from Panic Attacks. I also live a good 3 hours away from London so had a long journey on my own too, which included riding on busy tubes and buses.

Ive discovered my panic attacks have worsened over the years though. Ive been to London before and felt fine after Id set off, just used to get a bit worked up with excitement before leaving.

This time I had a panic attack from 11am on the Thursday until I got home at 3pm today. It was pretty much non stop. Coming home was the worst due to me not being able to eat much from feeling sick due to the panicking, so this made me feel weak and very hungry so that was playing on my mind making me think I was going to faint. I am glad I went though becuase I really don't want to start putting things off due to panic attacks.

But these attacks are ruining my life.
I can never enjoy myself when I go places.
I can never eat much food due to me thinking "what if I feel sick afterwards" etc etc

Has medication helped anyone here?

What is best to ask the doctor for if I'm not really keen on medications with lots of possible side effects?

How did you overcome your eating habits? (btw I dont have an eating disorder, I eat fine at home or locally, just if I have to go to a restaurant or eat far away from home)

mandie
01-02-09, 10:33
Hi

You are doing the best thing by facing your fears so well done

I do take medication now because my anxiety was getting so bad. I am on sertraline but your dr will advise you the best one if they decide to giveyou meds.

It has helped but doesnt take it away completely

I see a counsellor which is helping.

Maybe you should ask your dr to refer you for counselling, cbt is good for anxiety and panic

Cant help you with the eating, i dont have any problems with this

love mandie x