PDA

View Full Version : panic attacks-how do yours feel??

mummy4
31-01-09, 22:02
mine feel wierd and awful
mainly happen while im in a busy place such as supermarket esp at the till not too bad walking roung the store (but not 100% i have to say) but its mainly when im paying at the til. the other day i was at the til in boots and i was intending on paying by card but i had a massive urge to run out the store so paid by cash (for quickness) and hurried out shop and when outside i felt much better.
mine usually start as lightheadedness then my vision tends to go a little wierd its hard to explain but eyes seem to go watery and they go fuzzy my legs really tense up i feel like im floaty almost like a drunken feeling then i just want to run away from the situation and im not enjoying life as it is right now all i want to do is enjoy life :weep:
do your attacks feel like this or different?

Donna1980
01-02-09, 03:42
I have different attacks for different situations, like if I am alone, my forehead will feel tingly and my chest tightnes up and i truely feel like I am having a heart attack. My hands and feet sweat, I feel like I am going to faint. But there are times I feel a little different than that. I will feel tingly exspecailly in my chest and arms, my legs feel like they can't hold me up. almost like the floor under me is floating, I have to hang on to to something or sit down. I have never fainted but sure feel like I am going to. the my heart startes racing and my heart skipps and fluters lots . So i guess it happens differently sometimes.. But my doctor has done every test on me and everything comes back fine so she started me on CELEXA, this has been wonderful for me, I have been on it for 2 1/2 weeks and already feel alot better, i still get the feeling like my legs can't hold me up but there farther apart now, this pills doesn't take full affect till 4-6 weeks, so I can't wait to have it that long so I can just see how much it helps, but right now I am able to lay down and truely relax, with the first pill, i could feel the tightness in my chest losen up a little and witht he next one a little more.

shortstuff
01-02-09, 07:25
Mine always start with chest tightening, which gets worse as the attack progresses. This is followed by shortness of breath. I usually have at least one of the following: dizziness, disorientation, 'dead legs', heavy arm - but these seem to be quite random i.e. I can't predict which I will get.

I have an almost constant tightening of the chest which is my anxiety monitor. If it gets tight, I know an attack is likely so I take extra meds to reduce the anxiety. Understanding and controlling my anxiety levels has really reduced the number and frequency of panic attacks. Unfortunately, this does not work in trigger situations (crowds, supermarkets etc)- the cycle progresses way too fast to do anything about it. Hence why I find myself unable to go anywhere which is likely to have groups of more than 5 people - which is almost everywhere!!

erwindpjj
01-02-09, 07:58
My attacks occur when I lay down to sleep. Most of the time I am just about to doze off when my chest tightens up and I start feeling anxious. I will verify my heart rate going through the roof, and then I start fighting it...with little success. However, once I finally convinced myself that I'm not going to die from this, my episodes have been shorter in duration. I have also discovered that the only way for me to get rid of it is to get out of bed and watch the television or surf the web for a while.

mandie
01-02-09, 10:26
Hi

Mine are just like that, esp when im in a supermarket.

love mandie x

Meewah
01-02-09, 14:28
Wow

I think I am having one right now. I had been listening to a radio 4 programme on Heart disease and various other health related articles when I felt tired. I went and laid down on the sofa and drifted off for a while when I woke I felt heavy and anxious. My hands are cold my legs are shaking I feel light-headed and tight in the chest. I feel like I need to take a deep breath. My tongue is tingling and my mouth feels dry. The more I think of it I wonder if it is heart related and this makes it worse. I have walked around very agitated needing something to take my mind off the feelings and so went on here. So glad I found this Post as I feel a little better already. Currently my forehead feels tight too.

Hope this passes soon.

Mee

sMINT
01-02-09, 18:01
Mine make me feel weak as if Im going to faint.
The same kinda feeling you get if you haven't eaten/slept/had a drink for some time.

I get lightheaded and think Im going to either be sick or faint in front of everyone. I then start panicking thinking how close the nearest hospital is incase I need to be taken in, stupid I know.

My heart also beats super fast & I have loads of scary thoughts rushing through my head at once, Usually death.

starlight78
01-02-09, 18:54
I've had 2 over the last few days... haven't had any for a while.. Had a lot of stressful things happen recently so I know it's just down to that and it will ease off and pass.. Its still pretty hideous when it happens though.. Mine start with a horrible tingling and pins and needles feeling in my limbs and on my forehead. I become really breathless and agitated and feel totally overwhelmed and unable to cope.. They usually only last for a few minutes, but i'm left with a risidual anxiety for a few hours. I try as hard as possible to get busy and do something as i know that this helps me get perspective.

Chelle1
01-02-09, 19:15
hi mummy4,

i get exactly that, the faintness, blurred vision, feel like i really will pass out, then get palpatations, its such a strong urge to get out of the situation and not feel like that any longer, i get it real bad in ques, like checkouts, cant go shopping when its busy cos i know the ques will be long, i can just bout deal with small ques now, i have to distract myself though and breath very slowly and make an effort to relax. I think unconsiously i feel trapped in a que, anythin which is sort of trapping is terrifying, get it in traffic jams too.

its actually amazing what lenghths i will go to just to aviod a que, and its amazing what ive been willing to give up just to avoid panic attacks - i am starting to face up to it slowly now but have given up a lot in the past,

Dont give in too it, keep going with it, wish you all the best,

chelle x

mummy4
01-02-09, 20:41
glad im not the only one feeling like this.
does anyone have any tips on distraction like for example while im at the check out etc so it doesnt turn into full blown panic?
x

Blot
01-02-09, 20:57
Hallo, I am new to this website but have suffered from panic disorder for years. I am on medication which was adequate but the attacks have reared their ugly heads since the end of Dec. I am new to the UK, am trying to settle here with my partner, find a job etc. As you can understand, my stress levels are high due to the circumstances. I am South African, left SA because crime is out of control. I would love to get some info on how to combat these panic attacks ( they hit me when I least expect it), or control them. Are there any books/workbooks available?

mummy4
01-02-09, 21:02
also should mention the school run is a major problem for me atm with reguards to panic :(

Brigantia
01-02-09, 21:13
I'm having one at the moment, but trying to fight it. Feel dizzy, heart pounding, awful feeling in my stomach . . .

. . . I'm trying to breathe deeply and keep calm . . .

I hate Sunday evenings!!

nervouswreck
02-02-09, 14:38
I have chest tightness,blurred vision,my legs turn to jelly,i feel physically sick and have been several times,palpitations,and i start shaking uncontrollably. Thing is I never know when im going to have one these they just come out of the blue... It is usually in shops and supermarkets though ! however im a manager in a very large store and am currently off work and seriously dont think i can go back .. even when i take my sick note in I panic! Theres no way i can manage a store in my current circumstances ! has anyone else had to give up work ? I know i should speak to my line manager but the thought of having to tell her how im feeling makes me want to run away and emigrate ! I know its totally irrational but i just cant help it !