PDA

View Full Version : Worse? - Second time around

Kendo
31-01-09, 23:02
Hi,

Is there any truth in the theory that starting off on Paroxetine for a second time is worse than the first? My anxiety levels are off the scale at the moment (after 6 days at 20mg). I was previously on 20mg per day for 8years until quitting 9 months ago, and cant remember the beginning being as bad as this. Diazepam is helping a bit but I'm only on 2mg three times a day. My doctor seemed reluctant to give me any tranx at all. I've heard that Propranolol can help and isn't or at least is less addictive. Does anybody have any advice?

Thanks

Kendo

Rachel_N
14-02-09, 16:22
I think there may be some thruth in it. I have been on 20mg Seroxat for a few years - stopped last November. Panic/anxiety all come back after a good couple of months and now 20mg doesn't seem to be working (been on it about 5 weeks). It seemed okay after initial settling in period (1 week for me) and yesterday all the symptoms have come back. Have upped it to 30mg by breaking tabs in half but will see GP on Monday (though he has no sympathy).

Kendo
15-02-09, 01:31
Thanks Rachel, my anxiety has dropped off over the last few days - I think the medication is finally working. I hope that upping your dose to 30mg helps you. I've read a few posts on this and other sites that seem to indicate it's a bit of trial and error before you find the correct dose. As for unsympathetic doctors.....I know what you mean. I got more attention when I pulled a calf muscle!

joy
15-02-09, 14:57
Im on Seroxat for the second time on 30mg and its not working at all despite being successful the first time

Joy

sprat
16-02-09, 06:05
Seroxat is one of those meds that may not work as well the second time round. For me personally I had great results to start with, and then i came off it and went back on it. It didn't work nearly as well the second time round, and my doc just kept pushing up the dosage, which helped a little, but wasn't really worth all the increased side effects.

Jax

joy
16-02-09, 12:22
My shrink says its not worth putting up the dosage. I was put back on it by GP and shrink says he hates the drug. Great!

Joy

tommycheadle
17-02-09, 00:14
I'm on it for THIRD time. Superb results. Its a great med for me!

joy
17-02-09, 12:33
Well glad its Ok for someone!!!!

Joy

Yvonne
17-02-09, 21:57
Didn't do a thing for me second time around even at 30mg.

Oceanblue
17-02-09, 22:12
I've just recently replied to another member, Minderaser13 regarding the same thing.

Going by my own experience, I would advise to avoid it a second time round.

I started taking 60mg in total at the end, I became much worse and needed hospital admission as a result.

Of course, my experience and opinion entirely,... that choice is yours. Everybody is different, only I have also read that many others have had similar experiences.

Discuss it with your GP.

Whatever you decide, good luck x

Yvonne
18-02-09, 10:01
Katie

Out of interest - what are you on now? Also, how do you feel on your new med if you're on one.

Seroxat is certainly a strange med when you go on it a second time - it was for me anyway. I've never felt the same since I came off it. Let us know how you are without it.

My god 60mg is one hell of a high dosage. Wish you well.

Rachel_N
18-02-09, 11:08
I also would like to know what meds you are on know Katie. I am currently working up to 40mg which I have not been on in 5 years (always 20mg max before)! Am I becoming intolerent to it? My dad swears by Citalopram but I am too scared to swap from one to another incase of problems.

Oceanblue
18-02-09, 11:44
Katie

Out of interest - what are you on now? Also, how do you feel on your new med if you're on one.

Seroxat is certainly a strange med when you go on it a second time - it was for me anyway. I've never felt the same since I came off it. Let us know how you are without it.

My god 60mg is one hell of a high dosage. Wish you well.

Hi Yvonne,

I'm not really sure whether or not I feel like the same person now i'm off Seroxat because afew things were going on back then and time has moved on, my life's changed, surroundings and relationships etc. I certainly think in a different way that's for sure.

I weaned off the medication because it was making me feel so ill, but I was also detoxing from alcohol and then afew weeks later I had major breakdown caused by PTSD. I was hospitalised for afew weeks, discharged then back in again a couple of weeks after, where I then spent 4 months as an inpatient.

I can't really say if I'm fully recovered, as by definition Recovery means to regain something, i'm unsure if there is such a thing where Mental Health is concerned, all I know is that life seems to be a learning journey and that's the most important thing, rather than trying to find the destination.

I now take Fluoxetine, eat a balanced diet, exercise daily and always make positive goals for myself, (no matter how small). I think that developing a positive mind and attitude is really important. I've found it's not easy and it takes practice and a lot time.

I believe that if we become ill through Mental Health especially if it's for sometime, we can become trapped in a negative mind. Subconsiously, we're unaware of this, I believe it to be true that if our minds can be trapped in negativity, it is very much a fact that we can turn our thinking around into Positives.

I now have set daily routines that I usually make the previous night, keep a positive diary to write my goals and achievements and write in anything I find that inspires me and I can already notice a huge difference.

All the best xx:flowers:

Oceanblue
18-02-09, 12:12
I also would like to know what meds you are on know Katie. I am currently working up to 40mg which I have not been on in 5 years (always 20mg max before)! Am I becoming intolerent to it? My dad swears by Citalopram but I am too scared to swap from one to another incase of problems.

Hi Rachel,

Citalopram is a good medication, although what works for one person doesn't necessarily mean it works for the next, as everybody is different.

Just out of interest, has your GP discussed the higher dosage with Paroxetine ? Many doctors i've spoken to give the patient a choice of considering a swap in meds.

I'm obviously no doctor, but my opinion - Is that I do believe you're becoming intolerent to it, this is going by my own experience and others that I have known to have taken the medication.

I understand your fear of swapping meds, it isn't a nice thing to go through, it can be very tough, but in the long run, it could be for the best.

Just my thoughts. Have a chat to your GP about it and if in doubt ask for second opinion.

Take care xx:flowers:

Rachel_N
19-02-09, 23:08
Thanks Katie, I will certainly look into changing. Not for the next couple of weeks as I have a course and job interview to attend.

Thanks for your help

R x

Oceanblue
20-02-09, 01:53
Thanks Katie, I will certainly look into changing. Not for the next couple of weeks as I have a course and job interview to attend.

Thanks for your help

R x

No worries. Good luck with the interview. :flowers: