PDA

View Full Version : Pain down both arms. Help

proccie
01-02-09, 14:31
It started as pain in my left arm, along the biceps and into my inner arm from shoulder down to my elbow. Sometimes my fingers tingle. Now it is in my left arm. Of course I now think it is my heart although no chest pain or breathlessness. Help, panic setting in, has anyone else had this?

Meewah
01-02-09, 16:38
Proccie

Dont worry I doubt very much that you would have a heart problem if you had pain down both arms. I would try taking a Ibuprofen and a hot bath. It will relax your tense shoulders and relieve your problems. Also try to adjust your posture and be aware of yourself tensing your shoulders.

If you feel your arms ache and worry about it you tense them more and so make the symptom worse.

I always get pain in both arms usually around my elbow and radiating out from there. If it was your heart you would have chest pain like a elephant sitting on your chest and probably pain radiating down your LEFT arm and up your neck to your jaw. Saying this you can simulate these symptoms by thinking too much about them.

I have been so wrapped up with this problem that I decided I was loosing too much of my life so I turned it on its head and began trying to deal with the feelings and problems associated with having a Heart attack etc.. I feel that I have made some good advancements. Not out of the wood yet.

Mee

shortstuff
01-02-09, 16:59
If this is part of a panic attack, it is just the body's way of preserving oxygen for the vital organs - more blood is pumped around life saving organs and temporarily neglecting the limbs. Perfectly normal - I was so relieved when my GP explained this one as I was convinced it was heart problems too.

Blot
02-02-09, 13:05
:) I understand the feeling. My panic attacks hit me out of the blue. The first symtom is generally rapid heartbeat, palpitations,pounding in my throat, feels irregular. Pins & needles in my arms, my tongue goes blue which makes me panic even more. I have a tense chest, feel as though I have a lump in my throat & I stress about not getting enough oxygen. Once the worst of it passes, I feel clapped out, arms esp. feel limp, I am drained of energy. I have about 3 episodes of this yesterday which was the catalyst for my joining this website. I found an article about abdominal breathing which I am going to try - will post my experience.These attacks make me feel so very vulnerable esp. as I live in a tiny village & feel isolated from medicaL assistence. I would love to communicate with fellow sufferers as I find that the folks who do not have panic disorder cannot comprehend the distress we go through. Blot