PDA

View Full Version : I don't really know what's going on...

StephdeMeth
02-02-09, 14:54
Hi
I'm new here, I've just been put on a new medication so was researching it and found this site and I think it's brilliant!
However
Whilst reading everyone else's posts, what I thought were panic attacks sound completely different to everyone elses. When I have a panic attack, I get about 30 seconds of "get me out" of wherever I am, then the panic sets in, I start hyperventilating, my heart starts beating very very fast, I am absolutely terrified of every person around me - even my best friend who has dealt with this a few times with me, I can't let anyone touch me, and I must be able to be against something, like a wall, as otherwise I'm terrified someone will come up behind me. I start shaking, and I get very cold. I also get numb hands, feet and usually a very bad headache.
The thing that really bothers me, is the fact that this can quite easily go on for half an hour or so. I had one the other night which lasted 90 minutes - the St John's people I was with had to call out an ambulance, by which time my heart rate was 150 and I was dangerously close to collapse. When I went to my doctor, she has put me on new medication but I didn't mention the fact these were going on so long.
Does anyone else's last for a long time, or is it just me?

granlizto3
02-02-09, 15:14
Hi stephdemeth, I have honestly had all the symtoms you describe and have been hospitalised, but I have had check ups to rule everything else out, so I do know far a fact that I'm having panic attacks so you should speak to your doctor and say how long this has been going on, I have to say I have been in a state of panic all day, and then some, but having discovered all the techniques and using them daily I have been so much better, I still need to use this site and have occasional panics but not to the same extent, hang on in there and good luck I hope you get sorted out sooner rather than later, Liz

reallyfedup
02-02-09, 16:18
I can panic for hours and sometimes the only thing I can do to stop it being so bad is take tranquillisers! take care x:blush:

Forrest Gump
02-02-09, 18:41
Me too, it can last for a whole day. Today I had one going for about six hours with five or six short peaks for ten minutes or so, until I finally caved in and took a Xanax. After that it was cool for a couple of hours, and for the past two hours it's been at it again. Chest pressure, stabbing pains, heartburn and whatnot.
Several times in the past month I've had panic attacks that peaked for more than an hour. Absolutely terrifying and I'm convinced I'm going to die, so bad that I've been to the ICU five times now.
Still here though, go figure...

Hang in there.