PDA

View Full Version : cipralex going from 5mg-10mg anyone?

mummy4
02-02-09, 17:20
ive been on 5mg for a little over 3 years now and for few years it was good though i must say some real horrible side effetcs to start with but they soon wore off.
anyway the past 6 weeks ive been feeling very anxious and having lots of panic attacks even to the stage where ive been running out of shops because of it etc. i had my 4th baby 3 weeks ago which is prob not helping what with all the hormones etc.
im finding everyday things difficult to do, even take the kids to school :(
just thinking maybe its worth going to doc to see if he can up med to 10mg. only problem is i was scared enough to take the 5mg ones and read the leaflet and thought i had every side effect going and have heard on here of some people having bad reactions going from 5mg-10mg but i really cant go on like this its distroying my life :(

bora20
02-02-09, 17:26
5mgs is a pretty low dose for a healthy adult, i would guess most of us are on between 10 and 20mgs. You might get a few side effects but nothing like when you first started on it. I actually started on 10mgs first off it was fun!! But I definately think its worth a shot, see what your doc thinks too obviously. Congrats on the baby I have 2 little girls.

mummy4
03-02-09, 19:08
im just so scared to the side effects :(

bora20
03-02-09, 20:25
They might not notice it so much this time, it wont be like starting on them from new. Plus if it gets too much for you just drop back down to 5mgs again, it might be worth a few days of side effects if it helps you cope a little better.

alias_kev
06-02-09, 22:18
I can confirm that I started straight with 10mg and eventually switched to 20mg. Neither of these was phased in.

All I can blame the big dose for is that sometimes it gets a bit much (headachy/pre-migraine and I found they normaly stop me feeling migraine like) so on those occasions I've missed 10mg and felt better afterwards. There may be no connection but 20mg is high dose for these.

Your 10mg would be the normal dose so I wouldn't expect it to be too bad. On the otherhand you have the whole female thing of monthly hormones to contend with and the switch from pregnancy hormones to normal (or maybe even breast feeding levels). You might gain from seeing someone about help on the hormone side - I saw a cousellor who'd only ever experienced clinical anx/dep symptoms herself when her hormones went odd on starting the menopause. The change from pregnancy is pretty similar in biological terms (I think). After all many women get post-natal depression and they don't all start with any!

Do speak to your doctor first - but I woud hope they can pick something to help you.

PS: It was probably very sensible being on a low dose during the pregnancy since the baby may have experienced some of the meds.

mummy4
21-03-09, 09:37
hi all
well here i am and still on only 5mg as ive been to scared to go to doc to ask for 10mg due to being petrified of side effects :weep:
i do have an appointment monday late afternoon mind you im getting all panicky now just thinking about it.
i feel i need higher dose now more than ever as its getting harder and harder for me to go into a busy supermarket and i feel like just running out all the time :weep: also my husband almost died of an over dose 2 weeks ago :weep: (see thread on panick forum)
i really want to get better x